Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Professionally published homebrew games.  (Read 8069 times)

Description:

Offline mingle

• Show only replies by mingle
Re: Professionally published homebrew games.
« Reply #74 from previous page: September 21, 2014, 05:09:04 AM »
I rarely post these days, as I don't really have anything to contribute Amiga-wise, but I felt compelled to chip-in...

Over the past year or so, when I did happen to visit Amiga.org, many of the 'news' items appeared to have been little more that ads promoting certain commercial entities.

I consider myself fairly open-minded and unbiased, but it does seem that certain companies contributions to threads are often for the sole purpose of generating sales for themselves.

In the case of this thread, that's pretty much what appears to have happened again.

Just my $0.02...

Mike.

Offline ElPolloDiabl

• Show only replies by ElPolloDiabl
« Reply #75 on: September 21, 2014, 05:56:39 AM »
@above
The closed thread. He called them AmigaMini thin client. Selling something without permission to use the name. I agree with that decision.

Other than that he put a lot of work into it and should be allowed to post here.
Go Go Gadget Signature!

Offline psxphill

« Reply #76 on: September 21, 2014, 08:21:09 AM »
Quote from: takemehomegrandma;773524
I don't really see how that contradicts what I said above?

"I rather get the picture of idealism; some very dedicated people working day and night (some times literally), sleeping under their desk in their office, working *way* beyond their *paid* office hours, just to create and develop the Amiga technology and making it what it became, *despite* those corporate guys in the management that only had money on their mind."

The stories about sleeping under a desk at commodore were from the 8 bit days. When commodore bought amiga, they gave them plenty of time and money. The problems that hit later on were due to AAA, management should have canned that project before engineering wasted any money on it. The fallout from that caused upheaval which let to some big management mistakes, but it was falling apart by then anyway.

The bottom line is that no matter what Commodore had done, it couldn't have survived after 1994 because of the time and money wasted on AAA.

They needed chunky 8 & 16 bit pixels and 3d texture mapping hardware by 1992. Management wouldn't have had a clue, engineering should have pushed it.

Offline ElPolloDiabl

• Show only replies by ElPolloDiabl
« Reply #77 on: September 21, 2014, 08:34:55 AM »
@above
It was really their PC division that was losing money. Amiga was still selling well in some places.
Plus there were hardly any machines available if you wanted one. Was that because the production was held up?

A1200 was out of date by 95-96 though.
Go Go Gadget Signature!

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #78 on: September 21, 2014, 08:38:48 AM »
Well now this thread is getting interesting, with the comments about CUSA.  Always enjoy hearing more about "the companies behind the scenes", etc.

Re: "Talk to Bill McEwen" - heh, if you hear from him, tell him I still want my t-shirt.  :p

Re: Amiga app store.  Is it going to run on classic systems?  If not, I don't care, since not in the market for "next gen" at this time.  Still nice to see some development, even if I miss the old days of getting cover disks and registering shareware, haha.  App stores are "the way of the future", blah blah, and competition usually breeds stronger products.  Still, would be nice to see folks in Amiga-land working together for once instead of always back-biting each other!  :(

Also reminds me that I still need to order a copy of Tales of Gorluth!  Tried out the demo on my A2000 last night (thanks for putting one on your website, btw, AmigaKit!).  Minor brief graphic corruption but considering how hacked up my system is, it was perfectly playable.  Gotta get that ordered soon.  :)

Re: Cammy.  IMHO her mental health issues or depression really don't have any business as forum gossup.  I'm sure she's a nice girl but the way I see some comments obsessing over her on here are really sick.  I get it, she's a girl and she uses an Amiga, one of only what?  Two or three?  But geeze.  Get outside and meet some other people.  :p

Now back to the popcorn! :D
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

phoenixkonsole

« Reply #79 on: September 21, 2014, 09:34:00 AM »
@amigakit
It was the news about aeros 3.9 which has been removed from front page.
And the one often or before this. At least the two last transmitted news items.
I must admit the 3.9 news item has been changed to a normal thread.
But before that it was a front page news item.
So I thought "oh censorship" and because I am a half Greek (maybe spartan roots) I was a bit pissy. So I asked to remove my account which happened for a few hours, after a day I found a comment i tried to answer and I found my account working again.

Do you see me a competition? Why? I have not enough time and energy for such things. I also don't need my name printed on anything, so that 2 parties works on the same thing and shoot out resources hurts. Is it the "not invented here syndrome"? Together we would be at least 2times faster.  Now it happened : )
Maybe next time.

Offline psxphill

« Reply #80 on: September 21, 2014, 09:55:03 AM »
Quote from: ElPolloDiabl;773562
@above
It was really their PC division that was losing money. Amiga was still selling well in some places.
Plus there were hardly any machines available if you wanted one. Was that because the production was held up?

A1200 was out of date by 95-96 though.

Commodore were told to pay out on the stupid xor patent suit and were prevented from importing anything until they did. I think they also had some fines for environmental issues at the old MOS factory.

The PlayStation dev kits were out at developers in 1993, nobody was going to keep working on Amiga games at that point.