Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga 1000 Barn Rescue  (Read 8567 times)

Description:

Offline trekiej

Re: Amiga 1000 Barn Rescue
« Reply #29 from previous page: August 23, 2016, 03:34:29 AM »
To be a smarty pants, how is the barn? :D
Amiga 2000 Forever :)
Welcome to the Planar System.

Offline Acill

« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2016, 02:04:21 PM »
Proud Retired Navy Chief!

A4000T - CSPPC - Mediator
Powerbook G4 15", 17"
Powermac G5 2GHZ
AmigaOne X5000
Need Amiga recap or other services in the US? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com and take a look or on facebook at http://facebook.com/acillclassics

Offline spudje

« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2017, 12:27:26 PM »
Wondering how this is progressing :)

The following users thanked this post: klx300r

Offline Alley_Cat_JackTopic starter

• Show only replies by Alley_Cat_Jack
« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2021, 12:34:51 AM »
I am back again with a small update on this A1000. I am sorry that it has taken so long to get back at this, but I moved residence and shortly after, all of my disks were damaged in a flood. The Amiga is fine, but I have lost all my disks including kickstart disks, so I had put working on it aside for a while.

Now I feel like having another go at this thing. Tomorrow I am picking up a Gotek floppy drive emulator to use in it for now as it seems the most cost effective way to get me going on it again. I will be trying to repair the keyboard again, now that I have more space to work on it.

To be a smarty pants, how is the barn? :D

My new residence is actually almost right across the road from the house and barn. Sadly, the barn and the house I was working on was burnt down by an arsonist. He was caught the next morning when he was wo during around the area and got spooked by the police and tried to flee up my driveway but was stopped by our dog and apprehended by the police.

Now onto the more exciting news. In preparation for installing the Gotek drive, I opened up the case once again. This time I was able to get the stripped screw out that was holding the front pannel on. What I found under the daughterboard was what I was thought might be going on.

Someone had preformed the ram stacking mod on this machine. Altough a bit sloppy. I beleive it is up to 1MB chip ram with this mod. This has me excited as I had found word of this mod being posible, but no documentation about it online. I don't want to touch it just yet though, as I want to run some tests on it to see if it is stable. This will require me having a working keyboard and/or mouse, so the testing might be delayed a while. Afterwards, I want to carefully pull up the daughterboard and document how the mod was done and share it with everyone.

Feel free to ask any questions. I am very happy to be moving forward with this project again.

Offline klx300r

• Amiga 1000+AmigaOne X1000
    • Show only replies by klx300r
    • http://mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2021, 06:50:17 PM »
@ Alley_Cat_Jack

wow damn time flies! Thanks for bringin this thread back to life  ;D  ok that ram stacking mod sure doesn't look pretty but dammit if it works & you got 1MB chip on an A1000 that's super sweet ! heck only the holdy grail Rejuvenator board with 2MB chip would be better
--- www.mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca ---
  -AspireOS.com & Amikit- Amiga for your netbook-
***X1000- I BELIEVE *** :angel:

« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2021, 05:09:34 AM »
Picked up the Gotek drive yesterday and flashed the firmware with flash floppy. Today I was able to get it to boot kickstart 1.3 from the Gotek and load up some test software.

And now for the really good news. I was able to load up amiga-testkit and try they keyboard. To my surprise, the keyboards PCB still.works! I thought it wasn't functional from my attempts to do anything with it a few years back. I tested each key switch position and every single key press registered as it should. I am very excited that it works, but it will need a bunch of work. Each and every keyswitch needs to be cleaned and repaired.

I still need to figure out a solution for a mouse, but for now I saw a simple adapter that I can make with an arduino that will let me use a PS/2 mouse.

The memory testing is a lot closer to being able to done than I thought. Technically I could donit at this point, but I want to recap the boards and especially the PSU before leaving the unit on for extended time.

« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2021, 09:48:01 PM »
Yesterday I started a bit of work on the keyboard. Starting with the rust removal, I used a wire brush and emory paper to remouve most of the rust, but there is a fair bit of pitting in the metal that still has rust, so before I paint it, I think I will put it in my electrolysis tank for a bit to get all the rust for sure before priming and painting it.

I also remouved the motherboard and the power supply from the case, so I can give the case a good cleaning.

The power supply is in need of a good cleaning. I also verified all the values of the electrolytic capacitors, and placed an order for them.

The shield on the bottom of the motherboard and port connectors could use some rust removal, however I don't know what kind of metal it is, so I don't want to put it in my electrolysis tank. I will have to see what method I use.

After the caps arive and I install them with a good cleaning of the boards, I should be able to preform the memory tests and see if it is all functioning as it should.

« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2021, 02:54:21 AM »
Work has been a bit slow on the A1000 due to life but I have a couple updates of progress. Firstly, the caps arived and I have installed them in the power supply, as well as giving the power supply a cleaning. I did however count incorrectly, so one of the power supply caps is yet to be changed, but it's capacity and esr read fine, so it will do until I put in my next component order.

There is more rust on the psu case than I thought so I think I will clean that off and repaint. That will wait until I get the missing capacitor though.

I started cleaning the case. It is mostly clean now, but have some deep crevices on the bottom half's inside to clean before I put the motherboard back in. Caps need to be installed on  motherboard and lower shield will need to be cleaned of rust spots.

« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2021, 02:49:30 AM »
Lower portion of case is finished cleaning and reinstalled the motherboard. Motherboard has new capacitors installed. Something I noticed however is a group of 4 capacitors were installed correctly, but the PCB would indicate two were backwards. I checked the schematics, and it would seem the polarity markings for two of the capacitors is in fact wrong, but capacitors were installed in proper direction at factory. I installed a 16x2 display on the gotek and will need to build a new enclosure for it.

I also put together a quick and dirty PS/2 mouse adapter to use for now until I get an adapter or an amiga mouse.

« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2021, 04:12:01 PM »
Been a little busy, but still pushing forward. I have started the very tedious task of cleaning and repairing the keyboard switches. Half of them don't spring back up, and almost none of them register key presses. So far only a couple that will need replacements, most I should be able to get working again.