Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: need help my A4000 won't start with new A4000 ATX PSU adapter  (Read 3702 times)

Description:

Offline outlawal2

Interesting as I had the same thing happen when I used one of their adaptors on my A3000.  Unfortunately, not only did it not work, but now when I plug in the OLD working original adaptor my 3000 will not boot with that one either.
Dead in the water and I don't know why. (And yes it worked just fine until I tried the adaptor.)

So not sure if the adaptor was the issue or the power supply I tried but one of the 2 appears to have blown my 3000 and I am quite sad...

:-[

Offline outlawal2

Re: need help my A4000 won't start with new A4000 ATX PSU adapter
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2019, 03:46:45 AM »
Interesting as I had the same thing happen when I used one of their adaptors on my A3000.  Unfortunately, not only did it not work, but now when I plug in the OLD working original adaptor my 3000 will not boot with that one either.
Dead in the water and I don't know why. (And yes it worked just fine until I tried the adaptor.)

So not sure if the adaptor was the issue or the power supply I tried but one of the 2 appears to have blown my 3000 and I am quite sad...

:-[

You cannot use the AmigaKit adapter with a modern ATX power supply on an A3000, it won't work.  Modern ATX power supplies do not provide the -5V line that the A3000 requires, and the don't provide the tick signal (though the jumper can be changed to use the internal vsync instead).   I had this confirmed from AmigaKit when I was looking to replace the PSU in one of my A3000's.  I couldn't source a good ATX PSU with the -5V line so I just went with Ian Stedman's ATX adapter, which has been working fine for quite a while now.

Hopefully someone didn't think they could interchange a +5V line for the missing -5V line on the adapter.

That is interesting as it was a power adaptor specifically labeled for the 3000..  (Or I wouldn't have bought it)
Here is the link to the Amigakit listing: http://amigakit.amiga.store/product_info.php?products_id=1164

???
« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 03:55:34 AM by outlawal2 »

Offline outlawal2

Re: need help my A4000 won't start with new A4000 ATX PSU adapter
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2019, 04:19:21 PM »

Well that is great information and would have been real nice to have that BEFORE I bought an adaptor that supposedly could be used with modern ATX power supplies.
Rather pissed that Amigakit sells these doorstops without providing the correct information.  Especially when they clearly are aware of the issue in the first place!

AMIGAKIT:   Not real impressed   >:(