Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Command & Conquer on AMIGA  (Read 6285 times)

Description:

Offline Boing-ball

Re: Command & Conquer on AMIGA
« Reply #14 from previous page: January 22, 2024, 11:04:52 PM »
An earlier release gave me the same behaviour. There were different executables for cgx and vampire and the vampire one worked for me but the cgx one always crashed...I assumed the exes were named incorrectly. Are you using the latest version?

I thought you weren't into games? 🤔

Offline AndyFC

« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2024, 07:14:43 AM »
Me, or F0llett?
A1200 in DIY Tower. 3.2 ROMs (softkicking 3.2.2), OS 3.2.2 with ClassicWB, CF card, CD RW and IDE to SD adapter running off the internal IDE port (using the A4000 4-port IDE adapter from Amigakit), Pistorm 32 lite with Pi4/2GB/Emu68 or Blizzard 1230-IV, with 32MB 60ns RAM and 50MHz 68882 FPU. 3COM PCMCIA Network card running with Miami DX.
MorphOS on PowerMac G5 and ATI 9600 pro

Offline F0LLETT

• Amigakit / A-EON Support
  • Administrator
    • Show only replies by F0LLETT
    • Ultimate Amiga
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2024, 04:01:26 PM »
An earlier release gave me the same behaviour. There were different executables for cgx and vampire and the vampire one worked for me but the cgx one always crashed...I assumed the exes were named incorrectly. Are you using the latest version?

All latest stuff. CGX causes guru. Vampire exe runs, but no picture, guessing have to switch to RTG. Non Vampire causes guru to.
Be nice, if someone did a guide on running this from a vanilla 3.x install. As not every one is interested in AHI, RTG and stuff.
Quote from: Hungry Horace
Resolute and Industrious Grand ruler of the yellow people and the Ultimate Amiga Empire
Ultimate Amiga Network (Home of SONY PSP Amiga Emulator and AMOS Factory)

Quote from:  He who shall not be named
"Chris is that you!!!"
My all time favorite quote.

Offline AndyFC

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2024, 06:03:33 PM »
All latest stuff. CGX causes guru. Vampire exe runs, but no picture, guessing have to switch to RTG. Non Vampire causes guru to.
Be nice, if someone did a guide on running this from a vanilla 3.x install. As not every one is interested in AHI, RTG and stuff.

I normally play this game via the PiStorm's RTG, so I just did some messing around and by renaming the .ini file in the root folder I got the screenmode requester to display when I started the game. It only seems to run (for me anyway) in HiRes laced - I tried LoRes, LoRes Laced and HiRes (not tried anything higher), but is is slow on video and in-game. (in these other modes I can hear the audio, but just a black screen.)

The game saves the screenmode selected on first load. I need to re-download and compare a fresh install to my active one to see what changes are made to the .ini file.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2024, 07:47:38 PM by AndyFC »
A1200 in DIY Tower. 3.2 ROMs (softkicking 3.2.2), OS 3.2.2 with ClassicWB, CF card, CD RW and IDE to SD adapter running off the internal IDE port (using the A4000 4-port IDE adapter from Amigakit), Pistorm 32 lite with Pi4/2GB/Emu68 or Blizzard 1230-IV, with 32MB 60ns RAM and 50MHz 68882 FPU. 3COM PCMCIA Network card running with Miami DX.

Offline BozzerBigD

« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2024, 02:39:38 PM »
@F0LLETT

Please try VanillaRA as the -cgx version seems to be more reliable. FMV video is unstable so skip with escape key.
"Art challenges technology. Technology inspires the art."

John Lasseter, Co-Founder of Pixar Animation Studios

Offline F0LLETT

• Administrator
    • Ultimate Amiga
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2024, 04:27:32 PM »
@F0LLETT

Please try VanillaRA as the -cgx version seems to be more reliable. FMV video is unstable so skip with escape key.

Never liked RA. Even though I finished them all.
Resolute and Industrious Grand ruler of the yellow people and the Ultimate Amiga Empire

"Chris is that you!!!"

Offline BozzerBigD

« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2024, 01:28:55 AM »
Fine, each to their own but the -cgx version at least works for gameplay and can be tweaked to play at a normal speed on the PiStorm! As you say Tiberium Dawn only works with the SDL version with no hotkeys for unit grouping etc!

Offline F0LLETT

• Administrator
    • Ultimate Amiga
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2024, 03:45:45 PM »
Fine, each to their own but the -cgx version at least works for gameplay and can be tweaked to play at a normal speed on the PiStorm! As you say Tiberium Dawn only works with the SDL version with no hotkeys for unit grouping etc!

Spose Ill stick to my ROG Ally for this then.

"Chris is that you!!!"

Offline AndyFC

« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2024, 08:03:30 PM »
I normally play this game via the PiStorm's RTG, so I just did some messing around and by renaming the .ini file in the root folder I got the screenmode requester to display when I started the game. It only seems to run (for me anyway) in HiRes laced - I tried LoRes, LoRes Laced and HiRes (not tried anything higher), but is is slow on video and in-game. (in these other modes I can hear the audio, but just a black screen.)

The game saves the screenmode selected on first load. I need to re-download and compare a fresh install to my active one to see what changes are made to the .ini file.

The default conquer.ini file has a line `ModeID=0` under `Video` when this is first extracted. On first run and a video mode selection this line has a value set. Just edit it and change it back to 0 to get the screenmode requester on next load.

The readme suggests the following screenmodes:
320 x 200 for RTG or AGA (PAL)
640 x 400 RTG
640 x 512 AGA

I run it in RTG at 640 x 480 (VGA)

Offline BozzerBigD

« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2024, 10:25:50 PM »
@F0LLETT

ROG Ally? Argh, a poor man's SteamDeck?! Where's the fun in tht? Mouse and keyboard is where it's at for this!

Offline BozzerBigD

« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2024, 11:08:38 PM »
The readme suggests the following screenmodes:
320 x 200 for RTG or AGA (PAL)
640 x 400 RTG
640 x 512 AGA

I run it in RTG at 640 x 480 (VGA)

And do the Hotkeys work for you in the SDL version of VanillaRA? It's hardly worth playing without grouping units as it's like going all the way back to the Dune 2 play mechanics admittedly with the box selection function added  Does the -cgx / P96 version work for anyone?

Offline F0LLETT

• Administrator
    • Ultimate Amiga
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2024, 09:16:58 AM »
@F0LLETT

ROG Ally? Argh, a poor man's SteamDeck?! Where's the fun in tht? Mouse and keyboard is where it's at for this!

Ha ha ha, you obviously have never seen or used one. Its a lot more powerful than the steam deck.

I have SteamDeck, pre-ordered (when it was announced). Its now fully customised with see-through RGB case, Magnetic analogue sticks, upgraded screen, 3TB of storage 2TB SSD and 1TB SD.
Partitioned with steamOS, Windows 11 and Batocera. All running sweet from a boot menu. Amiga'ing on it, is good. However ally is even better experience as you can run straight from WinUAE.

Ally, Have'nt really customised it. Only upgraded to 4TB SSD. Ally wipes the floor with Deck in terms of power and display. Plus the Armoury crate, is a cool bit of programming, that auto switches between gaming mode or windows mode for controls.

Anyway, taking this off topic. Original question still remains. A guide on setting this up to run on a vanilla install of 3.x.

It's hardly worth playing without grouping units as it's like going all the way back to the Dune 2 play mechanics

How did we ever manage, ;).

I remember, playing last level of duneII on my A600 for over 2 weeks. There was so many sprites on screen, game was running at 1 to 2 fps.
How I stuck it out, I dont know, lol.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2024, 09:54:15 AM by F0LLETT »

"Chris is that you!!!"