Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Pre-Production Amiga 1000 System  (Read 2028 times)

Description:

Offline JimmySteelTopic starter

• Show only replies by JimmySteel
Pre-Production Amiga 1000 System
« on: August 02, 2021, 05:26:34 PM »
I worked with Commodore as a third-party software developer for the Commodore-64 and other systems. We recently discovered that we still have a complete pre-production Amiga 1000 system. It has a sticker (dot-matrix printing) on the bottom reading:

"PROPERTY OF COMMODORE
NOT FOR SALE
THIS DEVICE HAS NOT BEEN APPROVED BY
THE FEDERAL COMMUNICATIONS COMMISSION.
THIS DEVICE IS NOT AND MAY NOT BE
OFFERED FOR SALE OR LEASE OR SOLD OR
LEASED UNTIL THE APPROVAL OF THE
FCC HAS BEEN OBTAINED."

The serial number sticker shows number XM1000999 and the model number is 1000-X.

Any information about this seemingly rare (or at least scarce) system would be appreciated. It powers up normally, but we have not done much more with it so far. TIA.

James

Offline Matt_H

Re: Pre-Production Amiga 1000 System
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2021, 06:15:54 PM »
Welcome! That's a neat find. A few other pre-production systems have turned up in recent years. It would be helpful it you could post some photos to see if this is part of a known prototype series or something newly discovered.

Also curious to know what software you and your team worked on way back when. I'm sure many here would love to hear some stories!

Offline JimmySteelTopic starter

• Show only replies by JimmySteel
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2021, 08:07:31 PM »
Our Amiga 1000 system is clearly not as early as the "black box" development system that you gave a link to. Ours seems to be very early series production, prior to FCC approval, and was used for actual software development. The black case unit looks more like a short-run proof-of-concept system than something most developers would have trusted to write code on for production. Photos of the "not for sale" and SN stickers from our system are attached.

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2021, 04:15:49 AM »
I also linked to a later prototype at AmigaLove (maybe you missed it since the links were right next to each other - sorry for the confusion about that). From your photos, I would guess that your unit is newer than that one - the labels seem a little more professionally done and it has a slightly more realistic serial number.

Got any more pictures? The front of the case and the keyboard in particular will help to identify where the unit falls in the production history.

Do you still have any of the disks or documentation that came with it?

Offline OraoJ22

• Show only replies by OraoJ22
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2021, 06:52:26 PM »
That's an awesome piece of history! Have you had any progress with it so far? I'll ask my father whether he worked with Amiga 1000s back in the days, to see if he can provide some advice.