Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What a great welcome back to the community  (Read 2433 times)

Description:

Offline dbradsTopic starter

• Show only replies by dbrads
What a great welcome back to the community
« on: July 18, 2019, 12:34:32 PM »
 Just tried to sign up on Amibay to give away a couple of A1200s, assorted hardware and software.

They questioned my location, so I replied and changed it, (British living in Middle east) and the very next day, I got this from a Moderator called Sardine:

In reverse order of course so read from the bottom.

Oh, well this is very interesting, a great way to welcome a new sign up.

I did reply and I told you that I would change my location.

Please bear in mind that like most people in this cruel world, I have a job and family etc. etc. and do not always have time to check messages online as quickly as I would like.

Now, while I am the first to confess that I am relatively new to the Amiga scene, I only bought my first A500+ in 1991, I should not expect to be welcomed with open arms.  (You can check my Amiga.org membership, username dbrads sign-up date:  June 23, 2006, 03:39:12 AM)

However, this is clearly a platform for people to get in touch and help the Amiga to survive (I have two A1200s to give away plus a multitude of hardware, software and peripherals) so I am very surprised, or rather shocked, at the quick and officious message from you.

Therefore, I will post this message and yours on Amiga.org and throw the A1200s and software etc. in the nearest skip (dumpster, if you are American instead of English).

Quote from: Sardine
Dear Copernicus,

You have received an infraction at Amibay.com Forum.

Reason: Frozen
-------
As you have ignored my pm i have frozen your account

if you dont respond your account will be permanently banned

-------

This infraction is worth 10 point(s) and may result in restricted access until it expires. Serious infractions will never expire.

All the best,
Amibay.com Forum
[/font]
A2000:-
KS sharer3.1/1.3, A2630+4MB, A2091+2MB & 234MB HD.

Offline outlawal2

Re: What a great welcome back to the community
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2019, 01:42:23 PM »
Yeah that sucks for sure..   Sorry about the rude response...  Amibay has gotten pretty stringent in the last few years..  (That is why I do not frequent that site at all anymore)

Welcome back the Amiga scene from the USA, I am glad to see you back anyway.

Damn shame you are not in the USA as I would take those 1200s off your hands in a second!
Looking for a 1200 mainboard for a project I am working on.  Making a custom case to be printed on my 3d printer and am in need of a 1200 mainboard.
And depending on the condition I would consider using it as-is..

Would you be willing to ship to the USA if I were to cover the shipping charges?

The following users thanked this post: dbrads

Offline AJCopland

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2019, 01:52:23 PM »
Welcome back, stick the hardware on ebay (2 A1200s should be worth a few hundred quid) instead. Or give them away via here?

Amibay does seem very stuffy.
Be Positive towards the Amiga community!

The following users thanked this post: dbrads

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2019, 03:21:09 PM »
Thanks for the support guys!

Where in the USA are you outlawal2?

I fly into Savannah for maintenance at Gulfstream on a regular basis, I can bring them there and send within the USA.

I also get a very good discount with Fedex if you are in a hurry!

I took the two 1200s  and the A2000 out of the box from the shed where they have been rotting for nearly 10 years, the tower 1200 would not boot, the other one did but the picture was corrupt, so they both need work.

The A2000, I took out all the cards etc. and it booted first time :D

Then put the Microway, A2091 and A2630 back in one at a time and it all worked, amazing.

Checked two external Floppy drives, one was good, the other worked but showed   DF:1? and DF:2?  as well as the disk icon which worked, a bit weird.

I also have hundreds of floppy disks, some original, cover disks and CDs

Plus lots of connectors and leads, which I will list.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 03:30:32 PM by dbrads »

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2019, 09:37:08 PM »
I'm sure you'll find someone who'd like to take them off your hands.  You could probably sell the equipment for a reasonable amount, as well.  There's always ebay or whatever your local version of Craigslist is, etc., as well as Facebook Marketplace and the huge Amiga Facebook group (10k+ members).  Amibay sure is stuffy, but don't let that sour you on the whole Amiga experience.  Good luck!  :D
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline utri007

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2019, 09:59:07 PM »
I would be more than happy to have those A1200 conputers. ;) if you could send them to Finland, they would get in good home. I'm not a collector I'm a hobbyist and I use and take care all of my computers.
ACube Sam 440ep Flex 800mhz, 1gb ram and 240gb hd and OS4.1FE
A1200 Micronic tower, OS3.9, Apollo 060 66mhz, xPert Merlin, Delfina Lite and Micronic Scandy, 500Gb hd, 66mb ram, DVD-burner and WLAN.
A1200 desktop, OS3.9, Blizzard 060 66mhz, 66mb ram, Ide Fix Express with 160Gb HD and WLAN
A500 OS2.1, GVP+HD8 with 4mb ram, 1mb chip ram and 4gb HD
Commodore CDTV KS3.1, 1mb chip, 4mb fast ram and IDE HD

Offline outlawal2

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2019, 03:44:51 PM »
I am in Wisconsin so if we can come to an agreement I would really love to take those 1200s off your hands..  Send me a pm and we can discuss..  (And thanks!)

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2019, 02:39:56 PM »
Thanks for the replies chaps, I am going on holiday until the 25th of August so I will not be able to do anything with the big lumps until I get back.

Utri007, as you are a hobbyist preserver, I will give you the A1200 in original config, when I have time I will pack it up and take it to FED EX to find out the shipping cost, (my company get a very good discount there) if you are happy with the cost it then I will send it (I will put a few other things in with it) then once it arrives you can refund me the shipping.

Outlaw2, as you seem to be a project guy, I will gift you the towerised A1200, I will break it down to ship it, I can get a cost from Fed Ex and do the same as above, you refund me when/if it arrives, if too costly from here I will bring it to the US and ship from there (possibly in November when we have a maintenance visit to Gulfstream in Savannah).

If either of you would like photos of the A1200s I will PM when I have time.

I will be listing the other items for on here soon, I have hundreds of DD floppies, CDs, IDE connectors, a couple of external Floppy drives, an IDE Flash ROM adaptor with 128MB chip.

I even found an unused 23 Pin DIN female connector!

Offline walkero

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2019, 03:40:48 PM »
@dbrads
Hello there. Did you find a good home for the A2000? If not, and if you are willing to send it to Ireland, I am interested. I would be glad to discuss with you about it. Please, send me a PM to discuss.

Offline outlawal2

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2019, 09:28:37 PM »
Hey thank you! 
Never had a towerised 1200 so this will be new and different for sure!
And photos would be much appreciated..

Whatever works for you sir..  We can work out the details as required.
Have a great week..
:)

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2019, 07:05:24 AM »
Hello Walkero,

I still have the A2000, I will be selling it next year some time.

It is big and heavy, so I plan to take it to the UK and sell/ship it from there.

Offline spudmiga

• A chip off the old block
    • Show only replies by spudmiga
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2019, 11:36:17 PM »
Sorry to hear about your experience.

Along with Youtube commenters, grammar police and trolls, powerhungry arrogant administrators & moderators are the scum of the Internet.
Thankfully they are not all like that. Amibay have certainly shot themselves in the foot here, and will continue to do so if they carry on with that sort of attitude.

I hope (along with everyone else I presume) that your comment regarding throwing the hardware in the skip was more in haste  :o
There will be plenty here (me included) who would take it off your hands for sure.

Spud  8)
Founder of NWAG - North West Amiga Group (UK)

Night Operations

A1200, ACA 1233/50Mhz, 130Mb + 4Gb CF + OS 3.2
A500 Plus, 2Mb, OS 2.05