Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New A-EON Technology Website now live!  (Read 20051 times)

Description:

Offline antikk

• Show only replies by antikk
Re: New A-EON Technology Website now live!
« Reply #134 from previous page: April 17, 2010, 06:07:49 PM »
Usb will be updated when the x1000 is released. And the only thing from not making it into the update 1 was because they wanted to test it more before releasing it.

Offline x303

« Reply #135 on: April 17, 2010, 06:15:19 PM »
Quote from: antikk;554078
Whats so strange about 10 usb2 ports???
Just looked at several stationary computers and they almost have the same amount of usb plugs.
If you wanna use more than x usb ports, use a decent usb hub, but don't just add 10 to the mainboard.

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #136 on: April 17, 2010, 07:14:41 PM »
THis is an interesting group.  This is probably the first time in history any one has winged about too *many* usb ports.  I have only 5 on my Mac and even with bluetooth keyboard and mouse I still am short of ports.  10 is about right.  +1 for A-Eon.

Quote from: x303;554088
If you wanna use more than x usb ports, use a decent usb hub, but don't just add 10 to the mainboard.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline djrikki

• Show only replies by djrikki
« Reply #137 on: April 18, 2010, 09:46:05 AM »
Its interesting all this debate about what hardware the new Amiga will come with, but more than anything else I would like to hear what Amiga OS 4.x or 5 will come with as default.

Its all good and well saying to everyone to use application X or do Y you will need to download Z, but so many things come as standard in an operating system these days.  Apart from a web browser as standard which yes most home Windows users would replace with FireFox; there is a huge new of applications and OS features that come bundled. So I am keen to find out what AmigaOS includes and what it plans to support.

Here is a short list of must-supports which shouldn't require additional software to download in no particular order.

*Please in mind I haven't owned an Amiga since circa '97 so of this may already be in there. (Without downloading additional software guys!)

Wireless devices
USB
Mail Application
Address Book
Calendar
All encompassing Picture Viewer that opens anything
TextWrangler or equivalent
Easy scripting language similar to AppleScript (Arexx? Does that read like english?)
PDF Reader
A suite of games, Chess and Backgammon.
FTP Client
Dictionary
Easy system-wide search tool, eg. Spotlight
CD/DVD Player (Blu-Ray doesn't matter it will never take off)
Webcam Support
Multiuser Log-in Support
New colour scheme, window 'feel' and operation with dockbar
A new file requester (god-damn essential!)
Extensive drag 'n' drop support
Sticky note application
Screen Grabber
'You downloaded this application on 18/04/10 at 09:34, link to Url, open application?' ... support
FTP Mounter with read/write
SMB Mounter or preferably Auto-detect, a feature which OSX isn't very clever at
Java Support so we can get such applications like OpenOffice or NeoOffice ported.

----

So there you go.  Perhaps some of this comes with Amiga OS 4.1 already?

Another question I'd like to have answered.  Does Hyperion have an answer to the Apple Developer Connection to assist in future software development?

Finally are there third-party developers that will give Hyperion exclusive rights to embed their software in AmigaOS as a standard feature?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 11:02:36 AM by djrikki »

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #138 on: April 18, 2010, 10:08:00 AM »
Quote from: persia;554098
THis is an interesting group.  This is probably the first time in history any one has winged about too *many* usb ports.  I have only 5 on my Mac and even with bluetooth keyboard and mouse I still am short of ports.  10 is about right.  +1 for A-Eon.

even though i agree that its not that bad to have 10 usb ports and i could even find use for most of them (2 alone occupied by lightwave and cubase dongle on my pc + 1 for wifi stick), but then what kind of devices are foreseen for these ports? i do not expect that i can use pc dongled software on x1000? and even then i havent seen many pc boards that sport so much usb ports right there. if i recall right usb 2 was discussed for natami and put away as it might be much cheaper to support existing pci card with a driver that anyway would have been written, something that sounds quite reasonable to me. and what about this compact flash card? who needs something like that inside the case? there is enough cheap and more flexible usb solutions that fit inside 3,5 inch bay. i really dont get it why to make a mainbord that complicated with things an average user might not need. is this going to justify the price?

Offline antikk

• Show only replies by antikk
« Reply #139 on: April 18, 2010, 12:02:49 PM »
@wawrzon

When you have usb kbd/mouse,usb printer,scanner,usb hds,hand held scanners,etc etc. I see that having the amount of usb ports is a +. Then i don't have to switch between all the usb devices everytime i need to.

@djrikki

A dvd/movie player comes as standard.
Pdf reader aswell.
usb support.
music player aswell.
Might be more,but i don't remember it right now.

Offline gertsy

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by gertsy
    • http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/~gbakker64/
« Reply #140 on: April 18, 2010, 12:36:48 PM »
And it must have support for my USB Partridge and my USB Pear tree.!!
I'll be so angry if it doesn't.

Offline kolla

« Reply #141 on: April 18, 2010, 01:02:50 PM »
Quote from: djrikki;554158

*Please in mind I haven't owned an Amiga since circa '97 so of this may already be in there. (Without downloading additional software guys!)
All encompassing Picture Viewer that opens anything

Any program that supports datatypes already does this.

Easy scripting language similar to AppleScript (Arexx? Does that read like english?)
Why does it matter? Most amiga users are not English. A language that reads more like German would be excellent for a change, lisp with operator at the end instead of at the beginning :lol:

A new file requester (god-damn essential!)
I dont agree, the ASL requesters are one of the very few things in AmigaOS that holds water - no-nonsense and to the point.

So there you go.  Perhaps some of this comes with Amiga OS 4.1 already?
Sounds to me that OSX is what you want. I'm quite confident that if you were to sit down with AmigaOS 4.1, you'd be disappointed as heck - it really is not much more than old AmigaOS 3.x ported to powerpc and some bling added :)

Another question I'd like to have answered.  Does Hyperion have an answer to the Apple Developer Connection to assist in future software development?
Hehe.. nope, they just ramble around on certain websites, like the rest of us.
B5D6A1D019D5D45BCC56F4782AC220D8B3E2A6CC
---
A3000/060CSPPC+CVPPC/128MB + 256MB BigRAM/Deneb USB
A4000/CS060/Mediator4000Di/Voodoo5/128MB
A1200/Blz1260/IndyAGA/192MB
A1200/Blz1260/64MB
A1200/Blz1230III/32MB
A1200/ACA1221
A600/V600v2/Subway USB
A600/Apollo630/32MB
A600/A6095
CD32/SX32/32MB/Plipbox
CD32/TF328
A500/V500v2
A500/MTec520
CDTV
MiSTer, MiST, FleaFPGAs and original Minimig
Peg1, SAM440 and Mac minis with MorphOS

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #142 on: April 18, 2010, 01:59:42 PM »
Quote from: kolla;554183

http://utilitybase.com/
int p; // A

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #143 on: April 18, 2010, 02:24:11 PM »
Quote from: Karlos;554193
http://utilitybase.com/

visiting there on a daliy basis because of warp3d fix thread i have never seen there anyone from hyperion, nor didnt they reply to questions directed to them neither in a thread nor per email.

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #144 on: April 18, 2010, 02:48:38 PM »
Quote from: wawrzon;554196
visiting there on a daliy basis because of warp3d fix thread i have never seen there anyone from hyperion, nor didnt they reply to questions directed to them neither in a thread nor per email.

I never said it was a "hyperion promoted" site, I offered it as an example of something comparable to Apple Developer Connection for AmigaOS: a site dedicated to development discussion for AmigaOS/descendants.
int p; // A

Offline djrikki

« Reply #145 on: April 18, 2010, 03:14:15 PM »
Quote from: kolla;554183
Any program that supports datatypes already does this.

Why does it matter? Most amiga users are not English. A language that reads more like German would be excellent for a change, lisp with operator at the end instead of at the beginning :lol:

I dont agree, the ASL requesters are one of the very few things in AmigaOS that holds water - no-nonsense and to the point.

Sounds to me that OSX is what you want. I'm quite confident that if you were to sit down with AmigaOS 4.1, you'd be disappointed as heck - it really is not much more than old AmigaOS 3.x ported to powerpc and some bling added :)

1. I didn't mean literally english.  I meant 'basic' like commands and structure, hmm lets make a quick example, it reads very human-like.

set thefolder to choose folder
tell application "Finder"
   set foldercontents to the kind of every file of folder (thefolder)
end tell

result: {"HTML document", "TextWrangler Document", "NeoOffice Document", "Script", "Plain text", "Plain text", "Script", "Portable Network Graphics image", "Workflow", "Plain text", "HTML document", "Plain text"}

2. ASL requesters are crap, can't imagine many people share your love for them as they need some serious work.

3. I already use OSX ^.^.

4. I've installed AROS and taken a look at it and gone through a list of must-haves in AmigaOS.

5. Okay so there is a picture viewer included cool, but I said all-encompassing.  Would I have to download datatypes for something standard these days as a Gif?

Thanks for the quick reply, but I am contributing here to advance the AmigaOS with feature requests and set out what I believe should be bundled as standard.  I am quite content with my current system specs which are Mac Mini and iMac - both intel. :)

Like I said elsewhere I haven't been around Amiga for the last 14 years so I don't share many peoples disbelief and disappointments that it won't progress beyond a hobbyist machine.  With the right investment and marketing it can still go places.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 03:17:35 PM by djrikki »

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #146 on: April 18, 2010, 03:51:20 PM »
Quote from: djrikki;554221
1. I didn't mean literally english.  I meant 'basic' like commands and structure, hmm lets make a quick example, it reads very human-like.

set thefolder to choose folder
tell application "Finder"
   set foldercontents to the kind of every file of folder (thefolder)
end tell

result: {"HTML document", "TextWrangler Document", "NeoOffice Document", "Script", "Plain text", "Plain text", "Script", "Portable Network Graphics image", "Workflow", "Plain text", "HTML document", "Plain text"}

If that's a genuine example then it's both hideous and inconsistent. I mean why have such (tediously) verbose human-friendly language syntax and have the result presented as if it were a C-style declaration of an array of strings?

const char* result[] = { "Foo", "Bar", etc"};  /* look familiar */

After all, proponents of "let's have really human-readable language syntax" usually despise C above all else.

2. ASL requesters are crap, can't imagine many people share your love for them as they need some serious work.

They're functional and lightweight. Sure there's scope for improvement but I wouldn't say they were crap.

3. I already use OSX ^.^.

Enjoy it, then. Is there a reason you want every other OS to behave like it?

4. I've installed AROS and taken a look at it and gone through a list of must-haves in AmigaOS.

AROS is not AmigaOS, it's an AmigaOS clone (for want of a better word). In some respects it's more advanced, in others it's less.

5. Okay so there is a picture viewer included cool, but I said all-encompassing.

Multiview can open anything you have a datatype for that can be rendered on screen, not just images.
int p; // A

Offline warpdesign

• Show only replies by warpdesign
    • http://www.warpdesign.fr
« Reply #147 on: April 18, 2010, 04:46:26 PM »

Multiview can open anything you have a datatype for that can be rendered on screen, not just images.

Multiview relies on the DataTypes and as such must load everything in memory before displaying anything. How usable to you think it could be usable for videos for example. And why do you think no one uses it for videos today ?

Offline djrikki

« Reply #148 on: April 18, 2010, 05:16:17 PM »
(If that's a genuine example then it's both hideous and inconsistent. I mean why have such (tediously) verbose human-friendly language syntax and have the result presented as if it were a C-style declaration of an array of strings?

const char* result[] = { "Foo", "Bar", etc"};  /* look familiar */)

After all, proponents of "let's have really human-readable language syntax" usually despise C above all else.)

Its not a programming language, its a scripting language (I was originally referring to ARexx?), you don't generally write applications with it.  You use it to say as one example, take a webpage, convert it to a pdf, upload it to a ftp server (usually via unix 'Curl' command) and perhaps inform email users afterwards.

The script that I gave as an example basically opens a file requester, prompting the user for a folder and returns the file types of every folder in it.

Yeah, it is meant to verbose to allow novices to pick it up and learn it.

(Enjoy it, then. Is there a reason you want every other OS to behave like it?)

Yeah I do like it and I don't expect every OS to behave like it, but you must agree that every OS must have a set of widely used and accepted tools as standard?  :-)

(AROS is not AmigaOS, it's an AmigaOS clone (for want of a better word). In some respects it's more advanced, in others it's less.)

I know this and I am sure you are right, I've used it as an example.

--

I haven't done any real hands-on programming for years, I always wanted to get into making games and such like having studied C+ at college many years ago now.  Life took me in a different direction hehe.

Does the programming language Amiga E still exist?  Is it still supported?

Offline KimmoK

• Show only replies by KimmoK
« Reply #149 on: April 18, 2010, 06:16:24 PM »
Quote from: x303;554088

It seems that USB hub can cause delay for thing like joystics + it limits the performance, etc...
- KimmoK
// Windows will never catch us now.
// The multicolor AmigaFUTURE IS NOW !! :crazy: