Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Update on AmigaOne A1222  (Read 23423 times)

Description:

Offline Iggy

• Show all replies
Re: Update on AmigaOne A1222
« on: November 24, 2016, 09:38:28 PM »
Quote from: Matt_H;816835
Er, okay. So is the hardware design complete or are tweaks still being made? Entering production soon? Has OS4 porting started? Estimate on when we can buy? I know, I know, we don't like to do time estimates in Amigaland, but are we thinking weeks, months, years?

The hardware was done awhile ago.
Developers have had the boards for around a year.

This is partially Hyperions fault AND the focus on getting the X5000 out.
That you are seeing this says a lot about how mature the X5000 port must be.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline Iggy

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2016, 11:12:32 PM »
Quote from: Oldsmobile_Mike;816842
Okay, but the really important question is, how well does Super Tux Kart run on it? :lol:

I get the humor in that, but I doubt it runs anything properly yet, and if it does its no doubt under Linux (which would make that package irritatingly available).
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

Offline Iggy

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2016, 05:54:41 PM »
Quote from: asymetrix;816939
Nice progress report.

I hope Amiga UI/GUI improves drastically - I shudder the current look as it just looks 'old'.

Hope to see GUI like FLAT/metro style with advanced functions like Autodesk Sketchbook :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtJGkFQi0K0

Fully skinnable

From hardware point view -  would like to see full diagnostics for damaged components, health report. System restore IMAGE on CD/DVD why install files one by one on fixed hardware ?

Back lit keyboards & cases with engraved lit up boing ball etc to bring some class.

Linux benchmark suite to test most areas.

Games development suite
Emulation suite like EmulationStation /RetroPie to see which system can be emulated for a home theater/game emulation system.

The look and feel question is curious, since a legacy look is what most Amiga users apparently want.
Every time the discussion turns to comparisons of Workbench vs Ambient, that's what they keep repeating, that they want their desktops to look "Amiga-like" (as if using the same control icons and general method of operation isn't "Amiga-like" enough).

Fully skinable? - Ambient and Scalos have been for some time.

System diagnostics to replace faulty OS modules? Sounds like Windows, Linux doesn't do this well. Once corrupted I inevitably have to re-install it or go through some lengthy hands on diagnostics/analysis. ;-)
« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 01:41:09 PM by Iggy »

Offline Iggy

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2016, 02:39:37 PM »
Quote from: kamelito;817231
I like flat black theme :)

Kamelito

Why? Flat themes are one of my major objections to Windows 10 (along with the continuing downgrade of the Start menu).
I use Windows 7 Ultimate and Windows 10 Professional (and just retired a machine the required Vista - again I used Ultimate - yeah that Windows variant, which after much upgrading finally worked pretty much like Win7).

Frankly, I find the themes in Vista more pleasing to the eye, and Win7 is a great mid-point between problematic Win Vista, and the really sucky Win8/8.1.
Kind of the upgrade to WinXp that should have been introduced in the first place and one of the best looking and functioning Windows variants.

Win 10 can be annoying with its flat look. It took me a few minutes just to work out the changes in the appearance of Calculator so that I could cut and paste to that.

The opinion that flat themes prevent distraction from program content is just that, an opinion.

A good looking desktop involves all elements, and I just find flat themes far to stark and ugly.

Offline Iggy

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2016, 06:11:31 PM »
Quote from: bison;817412
My interest in the A1222 is kind of morbid -- I think it might be the last Amiga, and I don't want to miss out on that, having been there at the beginning.  It sort of bookends everything.

Even so, I'm hoping for a successful jump to another architecture and a continuance of Amiga. I am aware of the enormous legal and technical obstacles that make this unlikely, but ... never give up! :)

At this point, the last introduction would appear to be the P5040 variant of the X5000, IF that gets produced.
But I too am gearing up toward the idea of one final PPC system (in this case either a P5020 or P5040 based X5000), running under MorphOS primarily, although I will install OS4.1.

These systems should last us awhile, as older Eyetech AmigaOnes and bPlan Pegasos 1 & 2 models are still in use.

Video drivers and other support should improve in the future, and hopefully we can concentrate on application software for awhile.

Aeon has stated it has plans for the future, the MorphOS team has announced an eventual shift to X64 that will take quite awhile, so for now we've reached a high point in our development similar to that which occurred when the original AmigaOne and Pegasos systems were released.

We have multi-core systems that could allow for future development, modern expansion slots to support newer video cards and accessories, and while we could use better USB support for USB 3.0, that's not too shabby.