Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga One XE Status Update  (Read 4849 times)

Description:

Offline Herewegoagain

• Show all replies
    • Http://www.ncscaug.us
Re: Amiga One XE Status Update
« on: February 14, 2003, 02:57:46 PM »
anyway i think they will have it ready at the cebit if thats what they are trying....

I really hope so, but it's not encouraging to see none of their names show up under the Cebit exhibitors list.  I'm starting to think it may get pushed back to another Cebit, but that's just me.  Here's hoping I am completely wrong.
North and South Carolina Users interested in a \\\'local\\\' user group should visit NCSC Amiga Users Group page and sign up for membership. It\\\'s free!

Offline Herewegoagain

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2003, 05:37:51 PM »
It's called "marketeering". By telling you that the 800mhz G4 is "twice as fast as a 1.2 ghz Duron", they are essentially trying to get you to believe that the XE motherboard is as fast as a 2.4 Gigahertz PC. This simply ain't true folks.

Well, I didn't read it as "twice as fast", I read it as 2X the frame rate.  Not really the same thing as saying the CPU is twice as fast.  In my mind, when I read this it was interpreted as "Wow, they must have a good optimised version of Linux running on the A1"  But I guess people read things differently.
North and South Carolina Users interested in a \\\'local\\\' user group should visit NCSC Amiga Users Group page and sign up for membership. It\\\'s free!

Offline Herewegoagain

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2003, 12:27:18 PM »
My point here is 800Mhz is more then enough to run 5-10 years old programs. My biggest concerne arround A1 is lack of software development, and that ia whats off-puting not CPU speeds...

Well, my PC is a PIII 1GHz, 256MB Ram, Geforce3 Ti200 64MB, 40GB UDMA100, etc.  And to be quite honest.  It runs anything I throw at it perfectly ok.  But I know how to keep  Windows running right.  Point is, an 800MHz G4 with Radeon 8500 or better would be more than enough as well.  There gets to be a point when it's all just overkill for the average user.  Who needs a 2.5GHz machine just to surf the web and check email and play MP3's????

But really, I think the apps will come once OS4 is released.  I bought the original A1000 before there was much support for it, so I remember the "wait for software" very well.  But then it seemed that before I knew it the shelves were packed with titles.

Offline Herewegoagain

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2003, 06:40:42 PM »
Ummmm, I think he posted to the wrong thread, LOL!

But since he brought it up, seeing the Pegasos being offered for $299 instead of $499 or $800 sure is enough to make one stop and reconcider....Now, can they offer that price to everyone eventually??

Now, to get back on topic.... the AmigaOne XE.

Can Eyetech compete with this offer?  Even Amiga coupon holders are not getting that nice of a deal (the $299 thing).

Offline Herewegoagain

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2003, 09:22:22 PM »
It was in reference to what JoannaK had said.
Of course we have to spell all these things out to the Mos people I guess.

Well, I'm not a MOS people, but I missed that little *** and it didn't even sink in what she was excluding.  However, if Amiga don't make this show and bring something to the table at last for people to see, they are going to loose alot of supporters.  

There was no need for Bill M. to say they would be there if they are not or cannot follow through with a product.  And while I've bucked (no pun intended) for Amiga/Hyperion and Eyetech for along time now, I cannot overlook the progress Genesi seems to be displaying on nearly a daily basis.  That says alot Mountain_Myst.  

Genesi are doing all the right things for their product and their customer base.  We who are waiting on Amiga should be so lucky.  Maybe Amiga will surprise us, but I'm not having a good feeling about the Cebit thing.  It needs to be answered by Amiga.  They said they would be there with product, but their name doesn't even appear on the list of exhibitors.  I don't think they should have to put out every little rumor that comes along, but this one needs to be addressed soon.

Offline Herewegoagain

• Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2003, 09:45:23 PM »
I used to follow Amiga Inc. everywhere they went and preach OS4, but I don't anymore.

I understand that too.  That is why I want to see what comes out of the OS4 team before making any commitment.  I've already got a PC, and Mac, (+A3000 too) and to be honest, it would be nice to move back to an Amiga environment for my main system.  I've made a commitment in my mind to  wait and see for both systems.  Although, my tendencies are toward A1+OS4, I'm _trying_ to keep a more open mind now.  That gets easier every day that goes by.