Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Alternatives to Tabor (from New ppc board by Acube/A-Eon: A1222 "Tabor")  (Read 13685 times)

Description:

Offline Everblue

• Show all replies
Re: New ppc board by Acube/A-Eon: A1222 "Tabor"
« on: October 17, 2015, 10:10:08 PM »
Quote from: zylesea;797567
Why not AROS or MorphOS on some cheap hardware?

1. I don't like AROS
2. Not comfortable buying big old MACs that weigh a ton and have them shipped from halfway Europe (these are impossible to find in my country) and I want something better than a Mac mini...

Offline Everblue

• Show all replies
Alternatives to Tabor (from New ppc board by Acube/A-Eon: A1222 "Tabor")
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2015, 11:15:00 PM »
Quote from: Yasu;797571
A Mac Mini is really not bad. Thanks to Altivec it's pretty much as fast or faster than the X5000 (at least the 1.5 GHz model). A G5 is of course much faster, but it got so much wasted potential (no 64 bit, no SMP) and the hardware is not as reliable.

My Mac Mini is my favourite PPC mac to date :)

My biggest issue with Mac Mini is VRAM. If you are lucky and find a silent upgrade version you get only 64megs. I have pondered getting a G5.... but as I said, shipping is expensive, and I doubt it will arrive in one piece.

Offline Everblue

• Show all replies
Re: New ppc board by Acube/A-Eon: A1222 "Tabor"
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2015, 11:17:51 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;797572
Well, obviously a Mac Mini is not going to be as fast as an X5000.
And the systems that would be, like the PowerMac G5 do weigh a LOT.

Indeed.

A Mac Mini's processor would be more powerful than the one in Tabor, but the graphics are not upgradable and they have only 32 or 64mb of video ram.

Yep, 32 or 64mb of vram is not great.

If OS4 is coming to PowerBooks, I CAN recommend those as they run MorphOS extremely well.

But running MorphOS on Tabor?
Why? My iBook would beat the processor benchmarks for that and it cost me less than $100.

If you want to run MorphOS, the 1.42 iBook is a dirt cheap way to start.

I already own an iBook and I played around a bit on it to test Morphos (even though I am not a fan of laptops). Also, this machine is not in a great condition so I didn't bother to register it.