Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: I am making a game and wondering if I should port it for classic Amiga....  (Read 3261 times)

Description:

Offline AmigaClassicRuleTopic starter

• Show only replies by AmigaClassicRule
Quote from: ferrellsl;732167
@AmigaClassicRule

If you're looking to make a profit from sales to classic users, the answer is no, don't waste your resources porting it.  Otherwise, knock yourself out.  Do it for fun or for love of classic Amigas, but to do it for a profit will be setting yourself up for disappointment.

I am not looking to make profit from Amiga classic at all. I am looking to make more games for Amiga to encourage other people to make games for Amiga for the fun and love of the system. It will be like a GP2X console, really. Amiga is just that. An "open source" console where people can make games and apps and share it with other people to run it in their home. It just does not have the GP2X portability that is all!

So yeah I will make it for classic Amiga, but I will not say NO for people who willing to donate to support me. That I will take with a smile :).

I still need to finish the game in PC version, ones it is finished I will work on porting it.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 09:17:16 PM by AmigaClassicRule »

Offline Lando

• Show only replies by Lando
    • https://bartechtv.com
I think you should look into learning about the Amiga chipset and 68k assembler.  Porting to the Amiga from other systems is difficult when you don't know the "special" way the Amiga hardware works.  Games, especially for ECS/OCS systems, really need to take full advantage of the Amiga hardware to run well.

Offline TheBilgeRat

• Show only replies by TheBilgeRat
Quote from: AmigaClassicRule;732159
I am thinking of porting it to HTML 5 and iPhone too.

I was just guessing!

Hope you like objective C!

Offline Thorham

• Show only replies by Thorham
Quote from: Lando;732187
I think you should look into learning about the Amiga chipset and 68k assembler.  Porting to the Amiga from other systems is difficult when you don't know the "special" way the Amiga hardware works.  Games, especially for ECS/OCS systems, really need to take full advantage of the Amiga hardware to run well.
Puzzle games like this should be easy to do in higher level languages as long as you stay away from Amiga Basic ;)

Offline NovaCoder

Quote from: Colani1200;732140
Quote from: utri007;732138
I don't know single SDL game/app that is pleasure to use with 68k Amiga

I guess that's why he asked...

That may change soon -> AGA SDL

:)
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 04:35:34 AM by NovaCoder »
Life begins at 100 MIPS!

Nice Ports on AmiNet!

Quote from: NovaCoder;732192
That may change soon -> AGA SDL

:)

This is no joke NovaCoder. No joke. I mean it with the bottom of my heart. If your AGA SDL works to be able to port this game http://www.zeldaroth.fr/us/zroth.php SDL into AGA SDL and it produces the same quality graphics as the one you see in the webpage, with good optimal speed, sound and runs on AGA Amiga system on a 68060...then I will donate to you minimum 1000 dollars...

After that for every single project you make I will donate you money!! ONLY because you deserve it NovaCoder.

Quote from: Thorham;732191
Puzzle games like this should be easy to do in higher level languages as long as you stay away from Amiga Basic ;)

I am going to be using AmiBlitz 3. I will integrate couple of assembly code into my AmiBlitz project for optimal performance.

Quote from: Lando;732187

By the way...I never promised I will be porting to ECS/OCS system. Like NovaCoder, my games may be well only for A1200/A4000 system. I am already limited and restricted by the low speed bandwidth of the AGA chipset and the limitation of 2 MB RAM and I have to do some tricks between FAST and CHIP RAM when loading and using graphics/music/sound etc. I want the fasted possible classical Amiga to make sure I get the optimal speed and performance to avoid drop in fps rate when there are lots of sprites, or avoid flicker and so on. I feel by coding for an EVEN MORE LIMITING system when it is not needed...is a bit unnecessary.

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
Quote from: TheBilgeRat;732188
I was just guessing!

Hope you like objective C!
Objective-C isn't so bad ;)

Offline Thorham

• Show only replies by Thorham
Quote from: AmigaClassicRule;732193
This is no joke NovaCoder. No joke. I mean it with the bottom of my heart. If your AGA SDL works to be able to port this game http://www.zeldaroth.fr/us/zroth.php SDL into AGA SDL and it produces the same quality graphics as the one you see in the webpage, with good optimal speed, sound and runs on AGA Amiga system on a 68060...then I will donate to you minimum 1000 dollars...

Why on earth would Zelda need a 68060? This is the kind of game that an A500 can do, and it's exactly for that reason that porting should be done properly. Zelda needing a 68060, that's crazy!

Offline OlafS3

You are our AGA genious :-)

Offline OlafS3

I would not limit it too much on old specifications. I read somewhere on a1k that they are creating a game with minimum 68060+RTG (or emulation). Even most classic fans with real hardware have turbocards with more RAM and faster processors. Of course not everyone uses graphic-cards but at least more RAM and faster processors can be expected.

Regarding graphics you could offer AGA and RTG versions of your games.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 12:23:04 PM by OlafS3 »

Offline Khephren

• Show only replies by Khephren
I think your wrong on that score, various polls in the past have shown that most people have 030's and AGA. Really you shouldn't need more than an A1200 for a zelda clone.

Offline TheBilgeRat

• Show only replies by TheBilgeRat
Quote from: bloodline;732200
Objective-C isn't so bad ;)

I actually kind of like it, once I finally got my OS in tune with Xcode in tune with IOS...

CS problems :lol:

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show only replies by fishy_fiz
If you want to make some software for classic Amiga then do it for the love of it, not based on poll results.
Over the years Ive also started a few threads asking for input in regards to games Ive wanted to make, but for one reason or another people dont show a great deal of interest.
Once a person has something people can load and try on their Amiga though this changes.

Took me a while, and multiple times of giving up thinking there was no interest and instead doing yet another open source emulator port for my amithlon box (ie. no need to remove sdl dependencies) to completely understand that. On the plus side Ive ended up with quite a few new 68k emulators while learning this lesson :)

Good luck with it though.
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

Offline psxphill

Re: I am making a game and wondering if I should port it for classic Amiga....
« Reply #29 from previous page: April 17, 2013, 06:50:34 PM »
Quote from: Khephren;732213
I think your wrong on that score, various polls in the past have shown that most people have 030's and AGA. Really you shouldn't need more than an A1200 for a zelda clone.

Yeah, I have had a Phase V 50mhz 030 since the 90's and while some people have 68040's and 68060's, they are in the minority.

If I was going to spent time writing software I'd want the most people to be able to run it. So I'd be looking to support as slow a machine as possible. Some people are targetting WinUAE users, but that just seems a little pointless.

It might not be possible to make it fast enough on an A1200 with just a ram expansion, but indivision 020 & 030 accelerators are the only ones available now.