Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Do you own a CD32 system?  (Read 2725 times)

Description:

Offline Heiroglyph

• Show only replies by Heiroglyph
Re: Do you own a CD32 system?
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2011, 04:09:03 AM »
Quote from: fishy_fiz;649910
I used to have one and an sx-1, but the sx-1 I lost in an unexpected move. I had the cd32 for a while after that, but stupidly beat it to death with its own power supply in an over tired fit of frustration.
All my belongings that didnt fit into a big camping bag were lost when I unexpectedly and suddenly had to move, including all my Amiga magazines. The person who I was sharing a place with at the time was always a hoarder to the nth degree, so I sometimes have fanatsies of running into him and finding out he still has my stuff :)

You've officially got the best and worst story in this thread.

Offline Darrin

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Darrin
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2011, 05:20:55 AM »
I bought one when it first came out, but had less trhan 10 games for it.  I bought it with a FMV expansion to use as a video CD player (I had an A2000 and A1200 for my other stuff).  Unfortunately the FMV cartridge went bad and it was sent off to Commodore for repair just before they folded.  I never saw it again.  Now it gathers dust on a shelf.
A2000, A3000, 2 x A1200T, A1200, A4000Tower & Mediator, CD32, VIC-20, C64, C128, C128D, PET 8032, Minimig & ARM, C-One, FPGA Arcade... and AmigaOne X1000.

Offline save2600

• Show only replies by save2600
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2011, 05:32:27 AM »
Darrin, ever consider selling or trading it for something?

I had one too when they were first released. Had only a handful of games. Wouldn't mind another one again someday...

Offline HammerD

« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2011, 05:38:43 AM »
Quote from: orb85750;649871
Do you own a CD32 system?  If so, how many commercial titles do you have for it?

I have a CD32 with a SX32 MK-2 and probably about 10 games for it.  Great little console and I still use it from time to time....but mostly keep it as a collectors item now.  I also have a CDTV and black external floppy.
AmigaOS 4.x Beta Tester - Classic Amiga enthusiast - http://www.hd-zone.com is my Amiga Blog, check it out!

Offline amiga1260

• Show only replies by amiga1260
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2011, 05:39:35 AM »
I own three CD32 systems and two of them have a SX32 with 8 MB and a 4 GB HD drive.

Offline Heiroglyph

• Show only replies by Heiroglyph
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2011, 06:39:11 AM »
Now you guys have me wanting to buy some CD32 controllers and break out Pinball Fantasies.

Of all things, that was my favorite game on the CD32.  Playing it with the keyboard on a small monitor just wasn't the same as the control pad and the big screen.

Offline Darrin

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Darrin
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2011, 07:05:01 AM »
Quote from: save2600;649923
Darrin, ever consider selling or trading it for something?

I had one too when they were first released. Had only a handful of games. Wouldn't mind another one again someday...

I've got a load of Amiga stuff I need to sell, but I just can't seem to find teh time to shove it on eBay.  :-)

Regarding the CD32, it is a PAL model (brought it to the States with me when I moved over here in '95) and I'll need to check if the thing still works perfectly.

I even managed to pick up a CDi with FMV.  Unfortunately it is NTSC and my PAL videoCDs end up "clipped" on it.
A2000, A3000, 2 x A1200T, A1200, A4000Tower & Mediator, CD32, VIC-20, C64, C128, C128D, PET 8032, Minimig & ARM, C-One, FPGA Arcade... and AmigaOne X1000.

Offline CritAnime

• Previous Life Time Member
    • Show only replies by CritAnime
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2011, 08:39:56 AM »
My friend has a CD32. Though it spends most of it's time with me. So does that count as owning one?

Offline J-Golden

• TOP SECRET USER!!!
    • Show only replies by J-Golden
    • http://about.me/J.Golden
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2011, 09:19:50 AM »
I had one back in the day when I was young, had my parent's whole basement to myself and owned like 15 computers, 10 of them Amigas.

I had the SX-1 and the weird modem/IR controller that went on the left hand side.  Played  Chaos Engine (even IF I had to unplug the SX-1 to get it to work proper) and Alien Breed Tower Assault.  The intro back then was awe inspiring and was the hook I need to get my older brother onto the Amiga bandwagon.

Ah, such good memories...
AMIGA: (NOUN) THE FIRST COMPUTER THAT BRIDGED THE GAP BETWEEN HUMANITY AND TECHNOLOGY.

I'm a dyslectic, phonetic spelling English Major. It's funny 'cause it's TRUE!:roflmao:

WWBD?

Offline AmigaNG

• Show only replies by AmigaNG
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2011, 10:56:20 AM »
I got one, second hand from cash converters in 1997 for £40 with Wing Commander, Dangerous Streets, Diggers and Oscar. They also had loads of game for it in stock but wanted £10 each, so I bought Microcosm and Super Skidmarks for it and at the World of Amiga show a year later got Simon the Scourer and Cannon Fodder for it.  But that was about it until 2001 and the Cash Converters store closed down and they where selling what they had left for 50p so got what they had left, about 30 titles :) A good day!

Offline Borut

• Show only replies by Borut
    • http://www.crt-software.com
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2011, 11:47:21 AM »
I have now 2 CD32 left out of 3. I liked the combination with the SX32 but now the damn piece of shit refuses to recognise the HD and I even didn´t used it that much :( .
I have also another SX1 or so expansion but that dont´t fit to the CD32 as neat as the SX32...

What is very cool are the compilations CDs made by some genius people with a lot of games on a single CD - a big THX to them!

Offline Tension

« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2011, 12:20:55 PM »
Quote from: Franko;649881
Had to vote "nope", the CD32 is the only Amiga model I've never owned. For some reason it never caught my imagination and always seemed to be e very limited machine without spending a small fortune to basically just turn it into an A1200... :(

Even when they were in the bargain bins at Tandy for £39.99 I was never tempted to buy one, always thought of it as Commodores big mistake and was a desperate attempt by them to try and get into the console market back in the day and we all know how that turned out... :(

On the contrary Franko, the CD32 nearly saved Commodore.  The truth is they couldn't make them quick enough, and that combined with the North American patent royalty debacle meant that there weren't enough for the public to buy.

I really love the machine.  

Such a bloody shame they couldn't produce enough of them to save themselves :(

Offline Franko

• Show only replies by Franko
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2011, 01:03:43 PM »
Quote from: Tension;649972
On the contrary Franko, the CD32 nearly saved Commodore.  The truth is they couldn't make them quick enough, and that combined with the North American patent royalty debacle meant that there weren't enough for the public to buy.

True that it MAY have been the one thing that could have saved Commodore that Christmas but like you say they didn't make enough. it wasn't a case that they couldn't make enough it was down to the evil wee jobbie Medhi Ali & the other "upper managment" in the USA already syphoning off the money for themselves... :(

Heck Commodores UK HQ and management even begged to be allowed to take over the running of things and make enough CD32s to fill all the orders they had for stores that year but Ali had already set his plan in motion to shaft Commodore and bugger off with the cash, which he did and the rest is now history... :(

Though personally I still would never have bought one as I have said it cost far more to turn it into a basic A1200 than buying an A1200 itself. I suppose it was aimed at gamers really but games on the Amiga never was the reason I chose the Amiga in the first place so the CD32 was never the machine for me.... :)

Offline J-Golden

• TOP SECRET USER!!!
    • Show only replies by J-Golden
    • http://about.me/J.Golden
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2011, 01:35:07 PM »
Quote from: Tension;649972
On the contrary Franko, the CD32 nearly saved Commodore. The truth is they couldn't make them quick enough, and that combined with the North American patent royalty debacle meant that there weren't enough for the public to buy.

:confused: What all this about the patent royalty debacle?  Never heard about this.  Someone please enlighten me.
AMIGA: (NOUN) THE FIRST COMPUTER THAT BRIDGED THE GAP BETWEEN HUMANITY AND TECHNOLOGY.

I'm a dyslectic, phonetic spelling English Major. It's funny 'cause it's TRUE!:roflmao:

WWBD?

Offline Franko

• Show only replies by Franko
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2011, 01:45:51 PM »
Quote from: J-Golden;649981
:confused: What all this about the patent royalty debacle?  Never heard about this.  Someone please enlighten me.

Basically it was an excuse used by Commodore in the USA not to allow the management of Commodore in the UK or Europe not to be allowed to produce enough CD32's to fill the pre-orders they had from stores that year which would have meant Commodore would never have gone belly up and most likely still have been around today... :furious:

Medhi Ali and his lackies had too much to lose if this had gone ahead and the evil buggers saw their plan through to the end and shafted Commodore big time... :furious:

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show only replies by fishy_fiz
« Reply #29 from previous page: July 17, 2011, 02:27:36 PM »
I seem to recall there being plenty of stock, but Commodore wasnt allowed to sell them for one reason or another. Possibly theyd already gone into liquidation, I really cant recall, but the ability to produce sufficient stock wasnt what stopped cd32's success.
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.