Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Does X1000 owners have to pay for AmigaOS 4.1 FE?  (Read 2624 times)

Description:

Offline YasuTopic starter

• Show only replies by Yasu
Does X1000 owners have to pay for AmigaOS 4.1 FE?
« on: November 13, 2014, 12:02:15 PM »
I have asked this question in various places but never got an answer. I don't own an X1000 (or any other AOS 4-machine for that matter) and I don't think 30 Euro for this version is too much (I think it's cheap actually). I'm simply curious.

The X1000 owners was first promised to get the computer with AOS 4.2 pre-installed. When it didn't happen, they got 4.1 instead and a free licence for 4.2 when it arrives.

So do X1000 owners have to pay for 4.1 FE even though they are suppose to get 4.2 for free?

I just want to know :)

Offline AndyGarton

• Show only replies by AndyGarton
Re: Does X1000 owners have to pay for AmigaOS 4.1 FE?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2014, 12:06:22 PM »
Yes. I can't remember where I read it but somebody from A-EON or Hyperion did confirm it. 4.2 is a free upgrade, 4.1FE isn't. Seems a little odd, but there you go.

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2014, 12:17:14 PM »
Quote from: AndyGarton;777240
Yes. I can't remember where I read it but somebody from A-EON or Hyperion did confirm it. 4.2 is a free upgrade, 4.1FE isn't. Seems a little odd, but there you go.

It is a little odd. I think it should be the choice of the X1000 owners if they want to pay for it or not as a jest of good-will. Considering how much they have already paid for a complete system and suddenly they have to pay extra for gfx drivers and an OS update.

Don't get me wrong, I fully understand that after 6 years of free updates HE need to make some money. And A1 and SAM owners got what they initially paid for. I just feel the X1000 owners already paid for these promised features. Fair should be fair. Am I making sense?

Offline pVC

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2014, 12:19:23 PM »
And if you already have 4.1, do you still get all the updates for it, or do you have to buy 4.1FE? Or is 4.1FE mainly like service pack which gathers all the updates till now and is sold mainly to new users, but old users can continue updating their existing 4.1?
Daily MorphOS user and Amiga active.

Offline danwood

• Show only replies by danwood
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2014, 12:24:04 PM »
Quote from: pVC;777244
And if you already have 4.1, do you still get all the updates for it, or do you have to buy 4.1FE? Or is 4.1FE mainly like service pack which gathers all the updates till now and is sold mainly to new users, but old users can continue updating their existing 4.1?

No, SSolie confirmed at Amiwest that there won't be future updates unless you have FE.

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2014, 12:28:12 PM »
Quote from: pVC;777244

No, you have to pay for it. The point of it is that it include some features originally planned for 4.2 so you are not at all paying for nothing. And it's also a wrap-up, including all things up to date, including the new Uboot-patch needed for the SAM boards (you can install it seperately via A-Cube though).

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2014, 02:01:16 PM »
Quote from: AndyGarton;777240

It's obviously more than a little odd.

OS4.0 cost money, at least for Classic users. Then they charged money for the OS4.1 upgrade, and all existing OS4.0 users had to pay. Now they charge money again for *another* OS4.1 release, and everybody must pay (if you want further OS4.1 uppdates), A1 owners, Sam owners, Classic owners, A1X1K owners - *all* existing OS4.1 owners must pay up again for this 4.1 release. And you actually believe that some people would be granted free copies of the biggest OS4 upgrade ever? I think that is more than naive. But I suppose it's a theoretical issue only, since OS4.2 (with its promised specs) will probably never see the light of day. Given the current situation, this release may indeed be the *final* OS4 "edition"...

Quote from: Yasu;777243
It is a little odd. I think it should be the choice of the X1000 owners if they want to pay for it or not as a jest of good-will. Considering how much they have already paid for a complete system and suddenly they have to pay extra for gfx drivers and an OS update.

Don't get me wrong, I fully understand that after 6 years of free updates HE need to make some money. And A1 and SAM owners got what they initially paid for. I just feel the X1000 owners already paid for these promised features. Fair should be fair. Am I making sense?

Remember that there has ben two different "A-eon" companies, the first initial one was Ben Hermans (Hyperion) related, while the current one is AmigaKit related. A lot of promises has been made during the years, not only to X1000 owners. Charging money again for OS4 without making the promised 4.2-step sould definitely be seen in the light of this, and maybe you should adjust your expectations accordingly?
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 02:33:33 PM by takemehomegrandma »
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline ddniUK

• Show only replies by ddniUK
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2014, 02:17:06 PM »
Quote from: takemehomegrandma;777248
As a reference, I paid for MorphOS 2.0, then I got 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 2.4, 2.5, 2.6, 2.7, 3.0, 3.1, 3.2, 3.3, 3.4, 3.5, 3.6 and 3.7 for free. And every single release has been "a wrap-up, including all things up to date".
:)

LOL most of those were iterative bug fix releases.
Amiupdate has delivered very many free updates to AmigaOS4.1. Good knows what version number it would be up to if they followed MOS and bumped the version number with every minor fix. :laugh1:

Offline eliyahu

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by eliyahu
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2014, 02:21:19 PM »
@thread

ok. i'm going to issue a formal warning right now. this thread will not become a blue vs red flamefest, period. the original poster asked if X1000 owners will need to purchase AOS4.1 final edition, and the answer is yes. if you want to score points, this isn't the place for it.

-- eliyahu
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here."

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2014, 02:48:34 PM »
@eliyahu

OMG! :lol:

OK, I removed the short comparative reference to a competing product. I completely forgot that OS4 should never be allowed to be compared publicly to potential alternatives. After all, this isn't an open community site where consumers could learn about options and discuss them, it's a corporate marketing channel, I simply forgot that for a moment. Now please relax so you don't get a stroke!

:rolleyes:

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2014, 03:24:23 PM »
One thing strikes me...

OS4 was first released a decade ago, but for years they kept calling the releases "pre-releases" in their scheme to screw Amiga Inc.

After 4.1 (where everyone had to pay again) they adapted a versioning scheme where new releases got an "update x" prefix so they could constantly be pushing "4.2" further and further away, in an endless carrot dangling effort.

Now, while still being in 4.1 territory they come up with an "edition", so they could get a "reason" to collect another round of money from everyone for something they have essentially already paid for once.

A lot of creative thinking here, a lot of playing with words. And a lot of BS if you ask me...

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2014, 03:49:19 PM »
Let it go, dude. We all know you hate OS4. Don't you have better things to do than bash on it at every opportunity? There are some people here who like it and use it, and have simple questions that don't need to be responded to with a tirade. Do you have any other hobbies? :p
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline giZmo350

• Lifetime Member
  • Gulfport, Miss
    • Show only replies by giZmo350
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2014, 04:09:20 PM »
Quote from: takemehomegrandma;777252
One thing strikes me...

OS4 was first released a decade ago, but for years they kept calling the releases "pre-releases" in their scheme to screw Amiga Inc.

After 4.1 (where everyone had to pay again) they adapted a versioning scheme where new releases got an "update x" prefix so they could constantly be pushing "4.2" further and further away, in an endless carrot dangling effort.

Now, while still being in 4.1 territory they come up with an "edition", so they could get a "reason" to collect another round of money from everyone for something they have essentially already paid for once.

A lot of creative thinking here, a lot of playing with words. And a lot of BS if you ask me...

A500: 2MB Chip, 8MB Fast, IndiECS, MiniMegi, IDE4ZorroII on Z-500, KS1.3/KS3.1, WB3.1&BWB

A2000HD: 2MB Chip, 128MB Fast, P5:Blizz 2060@50MHz, PCD-50B/4GBCF, XSurf100, RapidRoad, IndiECS, Matze RTG, MiniMegi, CD-RW, SunRize AD516, WB3.9

A1200: 2MB Chip, 64MB Fast, 4GBCF, GVP Typhoon 030 @40MHz w/FPU, Subway USB, EasyNet Ethernet, Indi AGA MKI, FastATA MK-IV, Internal Slim CD/DVD-RW, WB3.5

Surfing The Web With AMIGA Is Fun Again!

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2014, 04:46:14 PM »
Quote from: Oldsmobile_Mike;777254
Let it go, dude. We all know you hate OS4. Don't you have better things to do than bash on it at every opportunity? There are some people here who like it and use it, and have simple questions that don't need to be responded to with a tirade. Do you have any other hobbies? :p

I take it that what's in your sig is your Amiga gear. I don't see neither OS4 nor X1000/Sam/A1 or whatever HW there.

I bought an original "Amigaone" XE back when OS4 was released. Spent a huge pile of money on it (but not closely as insane amount as the "X1000" goes for of course). I had it for a couple of OS updates. Both the OS and the HW was utter crap, especially compared to the ... HOLY CRAP I ALMOST DID IT AGAIN, I ALMOST MENTIONED A COMPETITOR!! Anyway, I spoke my opinion about it online, this was back at the time where all the true info and reports of problems had to be posted in a secret forum at AmigaWorld.net that was hidden from public eye, but I didn't want others to fall for the false BS gospel and outright lies about the product, and immediately hoards of people like you (you were probably among them) attacked me like I would be some kind of criminal. Eventually I sold the computer to Max Tretene (of Acube, but this was long before Acube) of all people. But guess what, I also have OS4.1. I paid 138,85 EUR (incl vat) for it and had to wait 2 weeks for a worthless CD I never had any use for, since you have to download the "4.1 update 1" ISO the first thing you do, and install from there. You know, a proper wrap-up ISO, including all things up to date, just like ... HOLY CRAP I AMOST DID IT AGAIN!!1! All the 4.1 updates were supposed to be included, that was always "the deal". But now rules have changed, and I obviously have to spend *even more* money on another worthless physical CD if I want to be able to download further 4.1 updates from the Internet.

I have an opinion on this, and unlike you I'm a paying customer, so I'm *entitled* to an opinion! But maybe me and my opinions should be "VOX'ed away"?

:madashell:
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 04:49:35 PM by takemehomegrandma »

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2014, 04:51:19 PM »
@gizmo350

"Cry-baby"? Cute.

I don't see any mention of OS4 or compatible HW in your sig either...

:rolleyes: