Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Poll: Which TCP/IP stack do you use for classic Amiga?  (Read 4510 times)

Description:

Offline Dandy

• Show only replies by Dandy
    • http://www.wiehltalbahn.de/en/
Re: Poll: Which TCP/IP stack do you use for classic Amiga?
« Reply #14 from previous page: September 01, 2014, 10:42:11 AM »
Quote from: matthey;771557

Roadshow, Genesis and EasyNet should all be fast and offer semi-modern TCP/IP for the Amiga.

Do figures exist regarding the speed difference compared to MiamiDX?
What do you mean with "semi-modern TCP/IP " (with view on MiamiDX)?
What do the others offer that MiamiDX lacks?
All the best,

Dandy

Website maintained by me

If someone enjoys marching to military music, then I already despise him. He got his brain accidently - the bone marrow in his back would have been sufficient for him! (Albert Einstein)

Offline matthey

• Show only replies by matthey
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2014, 05:22:03 PM »
Quote from: Dandy;772166
Do figures exist regarding the speed difference compared to MiamiDX?

There have been several threads on EAB and here with transfer speed results. Miami and MiamiDX have consistently done poorly. Genesis/EasyNet/AmiTCP 4 has generally been the fastest. The Roadshow was a little behind Genesis but may use less processing power and may have been improved.

Quote from: Dandy;772166

What do you mean with "semi-modern TCP/IP " (with view on MiamiDX)?
What do the others offer that MiamiDX lacks?

MiamiDX is now one of the oldest TCP/IP programs as far as updates. Dial up was still popular at the time of the last update. It was fairly advanced for its time but it was never finished, some functionality is buggy and it is slow. The GUI was the best at the time but now Genesis and EasyNet also have a nice GUI. If MiamiDX is working fine with your current setup then there is not a big incentive to upgrade but I wouldn't recommend it for people needing TCP/IP software anymore.

Offline pVC

« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2014, 05:59:44 PM »
Quote from: Dandy;772165
Does one of the Miami competitors also offer the functionality to get date/time from the web upon boot and to adjust your system clock accordingly?

I think Genesis has that built-in too, but can't check just now. And of course you can use some external program (like Facts) to get/set the time with any stack.
Daily MorphOS user and Amiga active.

Offline Thorham

• Show only replies by Thorham
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2014, 10:28:43 PM »
AmiTcp 3 here. Nice, fast and free. Can suck to set up.

Offline aggro_mix

• Show only replies by aggro_mix
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2014, 10:07:49 PM »
Long time ago I was playing around with some network programming and I think the MiamiSDK was a bit more modern (or maybe actually the stack) and supported things like getaddrinfo() which AmiTCP didn't IIRC. The code would only run on Miami though.

Offline Dandy

• Show only replies by Dandy
    • http://www.wiehltalbahn.de/en/
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2014, 12:44:59 PM »
Quote from: matthey;772189

There have been several threads on EAB and here with transfer speed results. Miami and MiamiDX have consistently done poorly. Genesis/EasyNet/AmiTCP 4 has generally been the fastest. The Roadshow was a little behind Genesis but may use less processing power and may have been improved.

Must try to find one of those threads...thanx for the hint...

MiamiDX is now one of the oldest TCP/IP programs as far as updates. Dial up was still popular at the time of the last update.

Yeah - can remember that. I was still on dialup myself when I bought and registered Miami and MiamiDX...

It was fairly advanced for its time but it was never finished, some functionality is buggy and it is slow.

From my inquiries back then I know MiamiDX actually was THE most advanced TCP/IP stack at the time.
What is unfinished about it and which functionalites are buggy?
I never experienced anything of it - neither bugs, nor unfinished parts...

The GUI was the best at the time but now Genesis and EasyNet also have a nice GUI.

It was just last weekend that I got EasyNet CD from Amikit.
I bought it just in case MiamiDX stopps working one day because of some changes to the TCP/IP protocols...

If MiamiDX is working fine with your current setup then there is not a big incentive to upgrade

Since I got it over a decade ago it works like a charm - never experienced any trouble with it.

but I wouldn't recommend it for people needing TCP/IP software anymore.

???
Why not?
It still works perfectly...
All the best,

Dandy

Website maintained by me

If someone enjoys marching to military music, then I already despise him. He got his brain accidently - the bone marrow in his back would have been sufficient for him! (Albert Einstein)

Offline pneron

• Show only replies by pneron
    • http://www.incrediblesteps.com
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2016, 06:28:08 PM »
Jeff...w.r.t.  I-Net 225 TCP/IP...any ideas on setting this up with a router/gateway? I posted a thread on my problem - Thanks for the help
A2000: OS3.1.4|Picasso II|Blizzard 68060@50 MHz|3xAD516 Sunrize cards|HydraNexus|Cocolino|Gotex Floppy Emulator |Mac OSX (main DAW) | Windows
Incredible Steps Film and Music

Offline matt3k

« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2016, 09:33:39 PM »
Quote from: Oldsmobile_Mike;771512
Doesn't look like anyone's asked this question in a couple years.  ;)

I have an X-Surf 100 in my A2000 and love, love, love it.  Yes, I'm using it with Miami DX but what can I say?  It was super-easy to set up with the GUI (Roadshow, I'm looking at you with your no GUI), I can run it in startup to go online as soon as my computer boots, and I can easily click the icon to take it offline if I want to play WHDLoad games.  Yeah yeah, I know it's slower than molasses in January, but it's easy to use.  A lot easier than all these threads I see on "EasyNet" difficulties, haha. ;)

So, what do you use?

Went with Roadshow.  Tested Easynet, Genesis, and Miami.  Roadshow was the fastest for sure especially for the X-surf 100.  Roadshow is well supported, super easy to get going, and is pretty transparent.  It was recently updated and yielded even faster results.

Some MNI drivers on Miami yielded decent speeds.  The Ariandne (not the II) was my favorite card up until the X-Surf 100.