Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Hyperion/A-EON introduce us to the AmigaOne X1000. A new beginning?  (Read 74981 times)

Description:

Offline cv643d

• Show all replies
I am trying...  -really, really hard- not to say anything negative... I really am (believe me) :)

But so far (ok, its only been 1 day), I have not found a single reason why this X-chip will be of any benefit for an end user such as myself, I am no hardware hacker or programmer. It would be cool if you could implement the AGA chipset in the x-chip, but I guess 64kb is not enough for that?

The reason why its better to have a chip than software is that the chip is clock-exact, but I have not found a reason why having a clock-exact chip thingie on the motherboard is good to have when you are a desktop user.

ok.. .  I should not. ..    It's not as if I shit on this new motherboard, It is nice to see progress so that there are more alternatives to running Workbench..  

But if you somehow could implement an x86 core on the X-chip? Then you could run a Wine-like application in AmigaOS PPC "built on the true sources of the only Workbench source", you would be able to run quite a lot of apps then (that was actually one of my main reasons for wanting AmigaOS ported to x86, you would somehow probably be able to run Windows apps such as on the Mac with Paralells).

So, who is going to implement the 3GHz x86 core in the X-chip?
Amiga articles
"New shell. It was finished a while back, but I still see bugs, haha" - SSolie

Offline cv643d

• Show all replies
Re: Hyperion/A-EON introduce us to the AmigaOne X1000. A new beginning?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2010, 01:03:46 PM »
Quote from: xeron;536735
@CV643D

The biggest advantage is that its a cheap chip, so it won't add much to the cost of the board, so "why not". Since it IS a cheap chip, and any task you get it to do will likely be parallelised, you can scale up your process by throwing more cheap xmos chips at it via the xorro slot for an instant gain.

x86 chips are cheap too, so why not add a socket 478 to the motherboard, then the cost of the x86 chip is in the hands of the owner of the motherboard (socket 478 chips are essentially free these days). With a slave x86 chip on the motherboard all kind of exciting things could have been made? Am I wrong here? Why not an x86 socket on the mobo too?

Or maybe you can do it with the x-connector? Ahh... I see now I understand ;)
Amiga articles

Offline cv643d

• Show all replies
Re: Hyperion/A-EON introduce us to the AmigaOne X1000. A new beginning?
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2010, 11:28:01 PM »
Quote from: Boudicca;536764
An Amiga was and will be a way for people to learn and innovate.

Yes, I can see what you mean back when a color Macintosh cost 9000 dollars and the "toaster" was the reason for existance for the Amiga in the US. Then a kid with a 500 dollar Amiga 500 could do cooler stuff with less dineros and that was shocking and cool.

But honestly for most kids with an A500 here in Sweden, Amiga was just a way to get free games in excess from all your friends in school, then those without life failed to hop on the 486 bandwagon when 1995 came and became addicts of Amiga for the rest of their life :)
Amiga articles