Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Public Release of MorphOS 2.5 & Introduction of eMac Support  (Read 15219 times)

Description:

Offline buzz

• Show all replies
Just to add I am with kolla on the licence issue. I have a mac mini sat doing nothing for 1 year now, which I might have put morphos on it, if it was sold in a different way, and perhaps even done some development for it. I do think the price is still a little high aswell though. Not that a lot of work hasn't gone into it, but it wouldn't be my main os, but rather a hobby - and so I don't know if I could justify it, but I dont even consider it anyway due to the licence.. I also think morphos could do more to intice developers onto the platform.

These days I do most stuff on linux. I like the open nature of the environment and apps, that I can submit back fixes, improvements. For example I was able to submit a small patch for the kernel so a network card was setup correctly. I think going back to a closed Amiga platform would be hard now.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2010, 12:44:15 PM by buzz »

Offline buzz

• Show all replies
Re: Public Release of MorphOS 2.5 & Introduction of eMac Support
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2010, 02:31:23 AM »
Perhaps I was over negative in my previous post. I stand my what I said, but I would be really interesting in hacking around a bit in morphos. porting a few things, and doing a bit of code, but like many amiga things, its a closed network, and I can only be a user.

I also noticed that they have ported GISH to morphos now. im sure that and many of other other games recently released under the "humble indie bundle" will now be ported. A great initiative that was and I paid a good contribution having already owned a game. It's nice now that morphos and OS4 can benefit from our support. I hope they also contributed! If only the Amiga World could embrace similar ideas..

Offline buzz

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2010, 08:48:54 PM »
Or common sense? :)

Offline buzz

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2010, 11:02:25 PM »
Quote from: XDelusion;563172
Actually you will not have to compile a program, and you will not have to worry about figuring out where to put those library files. Unlike Linux, Amiga OS and it's clones are very user friendly as well as easy to use. Linux can't do that!

You don't have to compile a program to use linux (unless you want to). Most linux distributions come with a large selection of packages which can be installed with a few clicks. you dont generally need to worry about manually copying library files to certain locations, and in the case of compiling stuff from source, most programs will have a "make install" command.

Offline buzz

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2010, 11:06:13 PM »
Quote from: Matt_H;563184

More seriously, why is there still hardware and software development for the C64? It's absurdly impractical, but it's really nifty. I guess I expected more of that sentiment from the Slashdot crowd.

OSX crawls on my Mini, Ubuntu crawls on my Pegasos, but MorphOS flies on both - especially on a program-to-program basis (i.e., MPlayer). Surely a system like that is worth taking a look at?

for fun. but c64 users have a slightly different attitude towards their c64 than Amiga users seem to have towards their os4/morphos machines.

Im happy that you have found morphos to be useful. If it wasn't >100 euros more people might even use it on their old machines.

Offline buzz

• Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2010, 01:11:38 AM »
Quote from: EDanaII;563397
Yea, it was this kind of "Common Sense" that got us stuck in a largely Windows world.

Thinking inside a box never gets anyone anywhere.

I like how you did that. Take what I wrote and try and make it mean something completely different!