Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: X5000 question  (Read 457 times)

Description:

Offline StantheAmigaManTopic starter

• Show only replies by StantheAmigaMan
X5000 question
« on: February 28, 2017, 11:53:19 PM »
Hi gang!   I'm back!!!

I have a bit of bad news... my AmigaOne 500 that I waited so long to get and build, was stolen a few months ago while I was at work.  And of course, the manufacturer is completely out of stock and has been since I bought it LAST February.

So I noticed this company on Facebook a couple of days ago, Amiga on the Lake, and noticed they have the AmigaOne X5000 for sale.  I wrote them asking if they expect to have any in stock in the next 60-90 days, as I don't want to waste my tax refund all in once place.  They wrote back the same night saying don't worry, we're fully stocked.

So now I'm trying to put together video cards, audio cards, a full 16GB instead of 2 for the 500, that sort of thing.  What recommendations do you guys have?  would any Radeon video card work?  I'd love to be able to put 4 monitors on this one.  Same for audio cards.  I may get the audio card on the AotL website, as it
s guaranteed to work.  

Has anyone had any luck with this system?  It's allegedly the fastest and best out there for the PPC NG Amiga...

Offline SACC-guy

Re: X5000 question
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2017, 12:23:01 AM »
Follow Amiga on the Lake suggestions as he has tested compatible items!

Offline slaapliedje

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by slaapliedje
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2017, 01:42:57 AM »
Don't want to hijack this thread, but I was just looking at their X5000 prices and the motherboard is literally $25 USD more than a new Cyberstorm PPC from Phase5... though I guess there is an 'advantage' with a A4000D with Cyberstorm PPC, in that you could run OS4 PPC Classic (which I've heard doesn't run fantastic on classic hardware) or you could run OS3.9 with the mixed PPC/68k libraries.

Which would you guys do?  

To Original Poster, don't they have a bundle where you can get the whole thing for like $300 more?  Would be really tempting for me except they don't have the boing ball cases anymore.
A4000D: Mediator 4000Di; Voodoo 3, ZorRAM 128MB, 10/100mb Ethernet, Spider 2. Cyberstorm PPC 060/50 604e/420.

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2017, 04:12:36 AM »
Quote from: slaapliedje;822862
Don't want to hijack this thread, but I was just looking at their X5000 prices and the motherboard is literally $25 USD more than a new Cyberstorm PPC from Phase5...

Where are you getting that pricing info for new Cyberstorms?  Looks like the new Phase 5 is only at the "producing testboards" phase of the project.  I haven't seen them publish any kind of pricelist, yet...?

Also, your question is totally OT, lol.  :lol:
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline apsturk

• Show only replies by apsturk
    • http://amigaonthelake.com
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2017, 04:22:51 AM »
@slaapliedje

We do have a "new Boing Ball front cover" that we are still working on and should be out soon. It is very cool and I thing everyone will like a great deal. Any systems that we have sold so far (with the FD 2300 case) we are asking the folks to mail us there front cover to have the Boing Ball added (fro free) and we are sending it back to them for free as well. I am very excited about this coming soon :) Then we are going to do an unboxing to show all the improvements we have done including improvements to shipping, added start guide...etc  keep an eye on our YouTube channel

Thanks
AmigaOnTheLake.com
AmigaOne X1000 | OS4.1FE | Radeon R9 280X | 480Gb SSD | 4Gb | 27 ViewSonic VP2770|
Amiga 500 | CPU 68010| Megachip 2 meg | Kickstart 3.1 | GVP 500HD+8 ROM 4.15 8 meg fast ram | ECS Indevision | SCSI2SD 4gig | BetterWB 4.0 | CD - Zip drives and Plipbox.
Amiga 1200 | Indivision 1200 AGA MK2cr | CF 4gig | ACA 1233 55.55mhz | OS3.9 | FastATA 1200 MK-V | Rapid Road
2 MorphOS Paid for copies. Running on Mac Mini 1.5Ghz

Offline amigasociety

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2017, 05:46:02 PM »
Thats cool.

An AmigaNG without a boing ball is like.... nekkid!  

:hammer::roflmao:

TJ

Quote from: apsturk;822866
@slaapliedje

We do have a "new Boing Ball front cover" that we are still working on and should be out soon. It is very cool and I thing everyone will like a great deal. Any systems that we have sold so far (with the FD 2300 case) we are asking the folks to mail us there front cover to have the Boing Ball added (fro free) and we are sending it back to them for free as well. I am very excited about this coming soon :) Then we are going to do an unboxing to show all the improvements we have done including improvements to shipping, added start guide...etc  keep an eye on our YouTube channel

Thanks
AmigaOne A1222 (Tabor)
AmigaOne X5000

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2017, 02:02:33 AM »
Quote from: slaapliedje;822862
Don't want to hijack this thread, but I was just looking at their X5000 prices and the motherboard is literally $25 USD more than a new Cyberstorm PPC from Phase5... though I guess there is an 'advantage' with a A4000D with Cyberstorm PPC, in that you could run OS4 PPC Classic (which I've heard doesn't run fantastic on classic hardware) or you could run OS3.9 with the mixed PPC/68k libraries.

Which would you guys do?  

To Original Poster, don't they have a bundle where you can get the whole thing for like $300 more?  Would be really tempting for me except they don't have the boing ball cases anymore.

Yes they do and that's what I'm going to go for.  By the time I get the loot saved up, they may have the new Boing Ball cases in stock.  Decided on a 4GB setup with a Radeon HD R9 270X upgrade.

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2017, 02:05:04 AM »
Quote from: apsturk;822866
@slaapliedje

Thanks

'Hey it's nice to know AtoL is on this board!  :-D

What printers would you recommend for the X5000?  And isn't LibreOffice available for the platform?   I'm trying to replace my Mac mini with a usable machine :-D. But I need it fully modern :)

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2017, 02:08:12 AM »
Quote from: StantheAmigaMan;822892
Yes they do and that's what I'm going to go for.  By the time I get the loot saved up, they may have the new Boing Ball cases in stock.  Decided on a 4GB setup with a Radeon HD R9 270X upgrade.

Sounds good to me.
WTF a PPC equipped A4000 has to do with anything is beyond me.
Useless your interest is ancient legacy software combined with dead slow NG operation.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2017, 02:10:58 AM »
Quote from: Iggy;822895
Sounds good to me.
WTF a PPC equipped A4000 has to do with anything is beyond me.
Useless your interest is ancient legacy software combined with dead slow NG operation.

That wasn't me, that was someone else.  I'm going for native X5000 all the way :)

Offline Rob

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2017, 03:35:01 AM »
Quote from: StantheAmigaMan;822893
'Hey it's nice to know AtoL is on this board!  :-D

What printers would you recommend for the X5000?

There a very limited selection of drivers on OS4 depot, otherwise it's a postscript laser which I expect isn't cheap.  A-EON are now handling a port of GutenPrint after coming to an arrangement with Timothy Deters for the source.  I don't how long we'll need to wait for it but it will open up a much wider range of printers.

http://os4depot.net/index.php?function=browse&cat=driver/printer

And isn't LibreOffice available for the platform?   I'm trying to replace my Mac mini with a usable machine :-D. But I need it fully modern :)

LibreOffice is still in progress with no indication of a release date although I think it's supposed to be in Beta testing but I could be wrong there.

If you are not concerned with compatibility with the outside world then you could give Ignition which is a spreadsheet and MUIbase which I think you can work out yourself.
Both are free on OS4 depot.

http://os4depot.net/index.php?function=showfile&file=office/spreadsheet/ignition.lha
http://os4depot.net/index.php?function=showfile&file=office/database/muibase.lha

There is also Clause Desler's Cinnamon Writer which is fairly basic at the moment but does have the ability to load and save DocX files.  The current beta is a free download, I don't if it is planned to be commercial but you can donate on his homepage to show your support.

http://desler.be/modules/wfchannel/

Timothy Deters also has the rights to Final Writer.  I believe the intention is to update it to be compatible with current file formats and the AROS version is already up and running with OS4, MorphOS and of course, OS3.x version planned.

Some of the MorphOS team are also now working on Pagestream 5 and fixing all the bug.  Not a great deal is known at the moment about whether it will be exclusive to MorphOS or if OS4,  AROS and 68k versions will follow.

Offline QuikSanz

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2017, 04:58:50 AM »
@StantheAmigaMan,

Get many bolts for the doors and windows and get a new wireless alarm!

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2017, 10:14:51 AM »
Quote from: StantheAmigaMan;822896
That wasn't me, that was someone else.  I'm going for native X5000 all the way :)

My apologies, I know that.
Its just tiring to hear the legacy fanatics constantly suggesting we all adopt the flat earth strategy.

I HAVE legacy Amigas, I WANT to continue to develop the concept.
Those that don't, fine, play with your outdated hardware.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"