Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Piracy Is a Market Failure — Not a Legal One  (Read 7142 times)

Description:

Offline ArgoTopic starter

• Show only replies by Argo
Piracy Is a Market Failure — Not a Legal One
« on: April 04, 2011, 09:00:09 PM »
"Michael Geist, Canada's copyright law guru and law prof at the University of Ottawa, posted an interesting observation about the copyright issue of piracy. Canada's International Development Research Centre came to a conclusion that 'piracy is chiefly a product of a market failure, not a legal one' after a multi-year study of six relevant economies. 'Even in those jurisdictions where there are legal distribution channels, pricing renders many products unaffordable for the vast majority of the population. Foreign rights holders are often more concerned with preserving high prices in developed countries, rather than actively trying to engage the local population with reasonably-priced access. These strategies may maximize profits globally, but they also serve to facilitate pirate markets in many developed countries.'"

http://yro.slashdot.org/story/11/04/04/1851235/Piracy-Is-a-Market-Failure-mdash-Not-a-Legal-One?from=fb

Original Article

Offline Matt_H

Re: Piracy Is a Market Failure — Not a Legal One
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 10:08:35 PM »
I remember when this was posted at Slashdot a week or so ago - I think this is in line with the argument I was making in the "PS3 cracked" thread. Will need to read in further detail. Definitely interesting.

I think the successful product isn't one that can't be cracked, but one that people want to pay for rather than simply use. How many of us have paid money for crappy commercial software? How many of us have donated to free software projects? How many of us have paid for commercial software that's worth every penny? (some of my examples: WHDLoad, Poseidon)

Offline Digiman

• Show only replies by Digiman
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 12:18:59 AM »
After 12 months of not offering real world products for sale a company should lose all copyright claims at preventing digital versions being distributed for

Films/TV
Music
Computer systems
Games
Magazines

Companies have a LOT to learn yet.

Offline gertsy

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by gertsy
    • http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/~gbakker64/
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 12:37:48 PM »
Quote from: Digiman;629332
After 12 months of not offering real world products for sale a company should lose all copyright claims at preventing digital versions being distributed for

Films/TV
Music
Computer systems
Games
Magazines

Companies have a LOT to learn yet.

Yes, converting from a collective organisational hierarchy to a single sentient being is obviously the first thing...Then they will be able to learn a lot.
(:

Offline jsixis

• Show only replies by jsixis
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 04:13:24 AM »
Piracy is when a vendor claims a program is RTG enabled but isn't, when a vendor claims their product will work with a Picasso II but doesn't, when a company claims 3.5 will work on your machine with a Warp 40, but doesn't and when you go public that it doesn't work they claim your are a pirate.

Just to name a couple of times I have learned from experience.

Offline amiman99

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 04:36:20 AM »
I agree, piracy is a market failure.
Speaking from personal experience, most of my games and movies come from used store, like CD Exchange, Pawn Shops, Game Stop etc.
This generation most of my PS3 games I got for $20 or less, and most movies for $10 or less.
If companies priced their product at that level from the beginning, it would save me the wait time and they would get my money for their product not the used stores. I can afford $10 - $20 games, but not $60, actually I can afford $60, but choose not to spend it, I don't think is worth it.
In developing countries people don't make $2000 a month, so they cant afford $60 game, but pirated copies can be purchased locally for $5 - $10. The pricing needs to be made based on local conditions not global.

My $0.02
A500 KS 2.1, 1MB Chip, 68000
A600 KS 3.1, 2MB Chip, ACA630 32MB RAM
A1000 KS 1.3, 8MB RAM
A1200 KS 3.1, Blizzard IV 50MHz 64MB RAM
A2000 KS 2.1, 68030 25MHz, 6MB RAM
A3000 KS 3.1, 68030 25MHz, 16MB RAM
A4000 KS 3.0, 68040 25MHz, 16MB RAM
CDTV KS 3.1, 4MB RAM
CD32
(AROS BOX) Dead :(

Offline kedawa

• Show only replies by kedawa
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2012, 03:52:45 AM »
I'd pay $60 for a game if I know I'll play it for a long time, or at least intensively for a few months.
If I'm just going to play through it once or twice, even $20 is pushing it.

Offline AC/DC HACKER!

• Show only replies by AC/DC HACKER!
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2018, 07:25:12 PM »
I'm more long term thinking.  I'll buy a game if I'm able to demo it.  Rarely do I do so just buy looking at the images and reading the package, but I do that also.  I enjoy the YouTube idea because you're able to see many running and being played.  I'd prefer to have hands on, but the video is helpful.

Again, I don't merely consider replay value through the first month or 3 of owning it, but years later.  Bubba'N'Stix, Project X, Black Gold, Directory Opus 4 & 5, were bought from word of mouth and friends owning...and me using.  I adore DOpus 5 a whole lot more than 4.  I enjoy puzzle / adventure games but that doesn't mean all are going to be worth the money.

I concur, make the prices lower...for me, I'm thinking globally.  If you keep the prices lower all around then people are more likely to buy and less to pirate.  Piracy is going to happen, No If's and's or But's about it...it will never end, I've seen many, and heard many arguments towards/against it.  Some aren't good reasons, others are.  I've done some because I couldn't get a Demo version, so after using...and noticed I really liked it..I bought.

I've heard for years that poor argument that piracy is bad.  But when I read this "piracy is a market failure" I absolutely concur!  Plenty of people are "poor", and not always able to buy right away.  When you consider there are many things we buy, we also prioritize what we want --- and we forget, haha.

I've donated to a lot of Shareware and Giftware, and donations.  Some of those are better than commercial products.  The Amiga has some of the best games and programs made, and I own a sweet treasure.  But a lot of stuff also came from Amiga auctions and such.  I enjoy those bins where prices are cheaper, some years later you find some "OHHHH YEAH!!" stuff.  Hahaha!

There are Not ANY games worth 60$!!  No...!!  There are enough people whom are interested in whatever genre or "class" of game or utility program that high-end prices are just not wise.  Apple comes to mind here, haha.  Just because you CAN change a stinkers amount of money for something doesn't mean you should!  The old mindset that "The more it costs the better it is." is about 50/50 in my experiences, mostly it keeps the wise away; usually the ones that HAVE tons of cash.  I don't care anything about "greed" being a reason, if you want your stuff to sell really well, lower the price as well as SHIPPING and market it well.  Please, kick MS and Apple from the top as well as Samsung (I use DuckDuckGo.com not Google)!!  Hehe!

That's how you lower piracy and sell stuff and keep it in circulation.  I'd love to see the Amiga come back into full market again (in some form like X5000), but with a company that knows how to do it well, and with the passion of the original team/family.  Remove the politics as much as possible and you have a good solution.

My coins worth. :)