Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: ACK Announces 1.0Ghz and 1.7Ghz CPU modules for AmigaOne  (Read 4873 times)

Description:

Offline CLS2086

• Show only replies by CLS2086
Re: ACK Announces 1.0Ghz and 1.7Ghz CPU modules for AmigaOne
« Reply #29 from previous page: April 25, 2006, 01:50:48 PM »
@Piru : yes I did a bit  :lol:

For those who don't know :
You can :
change the MOS start picture to the OS4 one (or whatever you like)
install OS3.9 to give a AOS style look,
install OS4Emu to run some OS4 programms and demos.
Warp3D emultation is already include in MOS.

You'll just have to install E-UAE+roms to enjoy old non WB friendly programms... exactly like you'll do with an AONE...  :roll:

MOS and AOS4 are just some names, you can change them easily if you wish  :-D

I know lot of people who really need these speeddy modules to perform 3D animations and games.

About the CPU connectors, the fact is that its exist some copyrights about pîns assignement, this explain why AONE, PEG, MACS.... have a different wired connector.

@Agafaster : around 1x more up to 10x for the 1.0GHz CPU module depending of what you're doing with it ...
Keep the Faith !
VG 5000/A1000/500/500+/600/2000/CDTV/1200PPC-GREX/1200PPC -ATEO-BV/4060D/CD32/Aone/Peg 1/Peg2 G4/ various funny machines too  :-) http://www.mo5.com/collection/index.php?pseudo=CLS2086
I also repair drives of our old beloved Amiga

Offline Agafaster

• Show only replies by Agafaster
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2006, 05:12:56 PM »

@Agafaster : around 1x more up to 10x for the 1.0GHz CPU module depending of what you're doing with it ...

ta.

I know basically there will be either a mathematical difference, or a quantum leap given the G3 not having the G4's altivec unit, but as a rule of thumb, I used blade-enc to encode Master Of Puppets (track) to MP3, it took about 3-4 mins (rule of thumb).

The things I use my A1 for are Web, MP3 coding, and E-UAE emulation.(and coding, but I hardly get time these days !)
\\"New Bruce here will be teaching Machiavelli, Bentham, Locke, Hobbes, Sutcliffe, Bradman, Lindwall, Miller, Hassett and Benaud.\\"
\\"Those are all cricketers, Bruce !\\"
A1XE G3/800MHz Radeon 7000 512MB
A1200 030/25MHz 8MB

Offline Warface

• Show only replies by Warface
    • http://www.spacehawks.hu
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2006, 10:52:49 PM »
Why? As long as Pegasos can't run AmigaOS 4 it's useless for me.

Now I think that's the exact point upon which even such insane pricing can be (and were) safely built upon. Your choice - your money. I think there is nothing wrong in it in itself. I went the other route, true, but I can still understand it.

There's little reason bashing the pricing of something you wouldn't buy anyway.

Offline TheMagicM

• Show only replies by TheMagicM
    • http://www.BartonekDragRacing.com
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2006, 06:22:35 AM »
I'd hold off until its actually released if I had a A1.  Otherwise..do like me..back the blue, just indirectly.. lol.
PowerMac G5 dual 2.0ghz/128meg Radeon/500gb HD/2GB RAM, MorphOS 3.9 registered, user #1900
Powerbook G4 5,6 1.67ghz/2gb RAM, Radeon 9700/250gb hd, MorphOS 3.9 registered #3143

Offline magnetic

• Show only replies by magnetic
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2006, 07:43:31 PM »
Billt

Please tell me 3 advantages OS4 has over MOS. MOS is much more advanced and compatible with legacy apps...

magnetic
bPlan Pegasos2 G4@1ghz
Quad Boot:Reg. MorphOS | OS4.1 U4 |Ubuntu GNU-Linux | MacOS X

Amiga 2000 Rom Switcher w/ 3.1 + 1.3 | HardFrame SCSI | CBM Ram board| A Squared LIVE! 2000 | Vlab Motion | Firecracker 24 gfx

Commodore CDTV: 68010 | ECS | 9mb Ram | SCSI -TV | 3.9 Rom | Developer EPROMs

Offline Waccoon

• Show only replies by Waccoon
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2006, 09:32:11 AM »
Holy freakin' cow.  I think my whole PC is worth less than the 1.7 GHz version.  :-o

Remember those old Volkswagen ads where they said, "you could get a VW, washer, dryer, TV, record player, etc., all for the same price as another manufacturer's car"?

Offline Argo

• Show only replies by Argo
« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2006, 06:45:19 PM »
Hey, We're not here to debate/argue/flamewar Amiga OS4 vs. Morphos.
I'm not even sure why anyone is talking about Morphos in this news item, as it is about CPU upgrades for AmigaOnes which obviously don't run Morphos. People have made thier choices, live with it.

Offline RWO

• Show only replies by RWO
    • http://www.rwo.dk
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2006, 02:28:42 AM »
@magnetic

I'm really intreasted in a upgrade.. the 1.0 GHz is not really so mutch a speed up from my current
G4, then there is the 1.7 GHz which is really expencive.. ohh Im tempet but the price, that's why I'm
waiting for some test showing it off, before deciting.. If there was somthing in between that whould
proberly apeall better to me.

Let me give you some reasons why I'm intreasted

1) All the programs that use Newlib will get a huge speedup as there is now more AltiVec units as Newlib is really optimized to the G4 AltiVec unit.

2) There is the bigger cache that will improve all emulators.

3) Then there is MPlayer (last version) there had trouble playing all movies in Realtime.

4) and using GCC can also use the extra CPU power.. maybe I\m just impassion.

5) well my RC5 cruncher problerly wont complain either ;-)

RWO
Debugging is a state of mind

Offline Piru

• \' union select name,pwd--
    • Show only replies by Piru
    • http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2006, 11:12:35 AM »
@RWO
1) All the programs that use Newlib will get a huge speedup as there is now more AltiVec units as Newlib is really optimized to the G4 AltiVec unit.

Last I checked the only functions in libc that can be really altivec optimized are the memory copy, move etc. Considering the setup time of register saving and cache considerations the speedup is really limited. Eventually the system memory bus speed will limit the gains (even with 2MB L2 cache). If you think more altivec units would give "huge speedups", I'm sorry to disappoint you. Finally, since only few of the functions are really altivec optimized, not "all the programs that use Newlib" get performance gains.

3) Then there is MPlayer (last version) there had trouble playing all movies in Realtime.

That's weird, considering 7447@1000 can easily play any movies. Only HD clips are too much.

Offline Hammer

• Show only replies by Hammer
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2006, 11:36:38 AM »
Holy freakin' cow. I think my whole PC is worth less than the 1.7 GHz version.

It's about 47 percent of my laptop....
Amiga 1200 PiStorm32-Emu68-RPI 4B 4GB.
Ryzen 9 7900X, DDR5-6000 64 GB, RTX 4080 16 GB PC.

Offline Hammer

• Show only replies by Hammer
« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2006, 12:11:01 PM »
The point is to show that the A1 has a foothold as a PC competator and is keeping up with the times,  

The mainstream market wouldn’t consider such solution as a "serious" competitor since AMD/Intel markets the entire platform** i.e. Turion**/LIVE and Centrino**/VIIV respectively.

**includes USB2.0, wifi, effective chipsets(DDR/DDR2, PCI-E, SATA, Ethernet, Modem), HD-Audio and 'etc'.

Note that Intel designs and sells DX9c class IGP which kills Altivec (in the area that needs extensive SIMD/MIMD e.g. video and shader accelarator task). Both ATI and Intel have demo'ed DX10 class GPUs/IGPs. Remember that today's DX9 GPUs are SIMD/MIMD processors.

You have to remember that they are trying to make a PC beater, and this is exactly the way to go about it, the price tag at this stage in the game is inevitable, demand has to increase for the tag to fall, and believe me demand will be high; just not at this point.

Hardly a PC beater even at price parity. There's more to a PC then just the CPU.
Amiga 1200 PiStorm32-Emu68-RPI 4B 4GB.
Ryzen 9 7900X, DDR5-6000 64 GB, RTX 4080 16 GB PC.

Offline Seehund

• Show only replies by Seehund
    • http://AmigaPOP.8bit.co.uk/
« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2006, 07:52:57 PM »
   You have to remember that they are trying to make a PC beater, and this is exactly the way to go about it, the price tag at this stage in the game is inevitable, demand has to increase for the tag to fall, and believe me demand will be high; just not at this point.

Hardly a PC beater even at price parity. There's more to a PC then just the CPU.

Wraith was joking, obviously. Weren't you, Wraith?
Please, for the love of everything holy, say you were just kidding!
[color=0000FF]Maybe it\\\'s still possible to [/color]save AmigaOS [color=0000FF][/size][/color]  :rtfm:......