Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Gamers fight to be living billboards  (Read 2051 times)

Description:

Offline jjTopic starter

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
Gamers fight to be living billboards
« on: August 17, 2002, 11:20:40 PM »
More than 6,000 people in the UK have applied to turn themselves into human billboards for a computer game.

check out the full story here

“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
    • Show only replies by redrumloa
Re: Gamers fight to be living billboards
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2002, 11:36:29 PM »
I wonder how many people would actually go through with this. This is absolutely silly, No way in hell would I do something like this.
 :-o  :-o
Someone has to state the obvious and that someone is me!

Offline KennyR

• Show only replies by KennyR
    • http://wrongpla.net
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2002, 12:36:35 AM »
I'm sure this kind of dehumanising corporate-spawned crap might be popular among the PC game geeks, most of whom just don't have what it takes to be popular or famous in any other way.

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2002, 01:26:22 AM »
[rant]

I agree Kenny. i just don't get it. I guess some people are just geting lulled into thinking it is something 'cool'. Umm excuse me? Like our lives arent bombarded with advertising every living second? Why is it people find themselves compelled to buy a highly overpriced shirt because it has a Nike symbol on it? It used to be T-shirts were advertising tools that were given away. Now people pay big bucks for a shirt that is basically nothing more than a billboard advertisement for Nike shoes.(Dont compare to niche market t-shirts like Amiga etc).

Drive arround there are billboards on the street, buy fruit and chances are there is a sticker on it advertising something else. Turn on the radio, not only do you get regular advertising, the songs themselves are advertising! You don't get random songs, you get whatever the RIAA is using payolla to force down your throat. Walk into Rat Shack(Radio shack) to buy a freakin resistor and they insist on taking all your personal information so they can sell it off to marketers, and don't get me started on AOL!!

So what's the next step? Make people themselves advertising. Walk into a bar and the bar tender's name is Budweiser. You'll be dating a girl named Tampax, the president will be named ExonMobile. It may look like a weird gimick now, but where could this go?

[/rant]

Offline Seehund

• Show only replies by Seehund
    • http://AmigaPOP.8bit.co.uk/
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2002, 02:20:28 PM »
"I Am Amiga"

Oh wait, sorry, those people pay good money to be part of a marketing campaign.
The "Turoks" get an XBox and £500.

:D

A purchased "community" or a change of your first name. The herds will always follow.
[color=0000FF]Maybe it\\\'s still possible to [/color]save AmigaOS [color=0000FF][/size][/color]  :rtfm:......

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2002, 02:59:31 PM »
A purchased "community" or a change of your first name. The herds will always follow.

You are stretching the imagination so hard you are truely sounding foolish Seehund.

Offline KennyR

• Show only replies by KennyR
    • http://wrongpla.net
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2002, 09:58:13 PM »
Seehund, in the Amiga community constructive criticism is valuable and essential. However, such unconstructive critcism just makes you sound like one of those pro-MOS trolls we were so afflicted with earlier in the year. I'm just surpised you didn't add "OS4 suxXxX, MOS RuLez jOo0oo!!!!!!1" at the end.

Save your arguments for the right time and the right forum. This isn't one of them. And if you believe that some anti-AInc people aren't as blind and dumb, you are truly a fool as redrumloa said.

Offline Seehund

• Show only replies by Seehund
    • http://AmigaPOP.8bit.co.uk/
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2002, 02:47:47 AM »
KennyR, redrumloa:

Huh? Calm down for chrissakes people. I made a flippant remark about what people are prepared to do for a trademark, and compared two marketing campaigns and herd mentalities. Note the smiley, I wasn't writing a dissertation. People seem to be taking trademarks way too seriously and sometimes even personally nowadays.

And how do *products* like AmigaOS or MorphOS enter into this? The old "HypeOS vs MoreFuss" groupthink, trolling and convenient labelling eh?

HYPEOS! MOREFUSS! AMINO! RALPH SCHMUCK! BILL MC EWWW!

There, now members of both pathetic "camps" can feel personally insulted by proxy of their Trademarks and Leaders. Flame away, ye mighty herds! My daddy is stronger than your daddy! Superman beats Batman any day!

>:D
[color=0000FF]Maybe it\\\'s still possible to [/color]save AmigaOS [color=0000FF][/size][/color]  :rtfm:......

Offline Argo

• Show only replies by Argo
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2002, 07:26:24 AM »
And your here, why?