Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Linux goes from strength to strength  (Read 1560 times)

Description:

Offline jjTopic starter

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
Linux goes from strength to strength
« on: August 14, 2002, 02:17:57 AM »
Technology giants show their support for open source at Linuxworld Expo and even Microsoft is putting in an appearance.

Check out the full story here BBC News

“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"

Offline KennyR

• Show only replies by KennyR
    • http://wrongpla.net
Re: Linux goes from strength to strength
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2002, 03:54:16 AM »
I find the presence of MicroSloth very ominous. They can't want to break into the Linux market - software is not profitable on a platform where most software is free and open source, and M$ would get much more money just holding on to their stranglehold of the dull IBM-clone home computer monopoly.

The threat that Linux poses is not huge, but MicroSlop can't stand competition. I think MicroShaft are studying Linux very carefully for one reason - as Sun Tzu said, "Know your enemy, and the battle is half won."

They better guard that stall well, that's all I can say, and I hope they guard it better than Internet Exploder guards your credit card numbers.

Offline Etho

• Show only replies by Etho
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2002, 04:12:57 AM »
Microsft attending eh, no doubt to spipe a few cool ideas!

Offline Hammer

• Show only replies by Hammer
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2002, 10:32:59 AM »
I find the presence of MicroSloth very ominous.

Why the bias and hatred against MS? Both Operating Systems are bloated i.e. Linux is currently redefining “Windoze” with Wine/WineX layers.
Amiga 1200 PiStorm32-Emu68-RPI 4B 4GB.
Ryzen 9 7900X, DDR5-6000 64 GB, RTX 4080 16 GB PC.

Offline System

• Show only replies by System
    • http://amiga.org
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2002, 03:40:14 PM »
@Hammer

The thing some people keep forgetting is that MS is a criminal monopoly. Not just my opinion but that of the US Judiciary. A company which time and time again uses criminal means to destroy inovation and competion. I think it's a complete scandel that MS execs are not in prison let alone that MS is allowed to continue trading. Ah well the only thing that matters is the US is money and I guess they are rich enough to buy off the elected government.

just my 2p

Kad.

Offline Coder

• Show only replies by Coder
    • http://www.amiga.nl
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2002, 03:42:13 PM »
@Hammer

Both Operating Systems are bloated i.e. Linux is currently redefining “Windoze” with Wine/WineX layers.

I agree with you on that.

Coder
Check it out - I found the ass-end!

Offline bhoggett

• Show only replies by bhoggett
    • http://www.midnightmu.com
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2002, 04:43:29 PM »
Linux is only bloated if you choose to have the bloat. It works fine without Wine/WineX, KDE, Gnome etc...

Some Linux distributions are very small.

I think the term bloat is overused and relative. I remember lots of people regarded MUI as unnecessary bloat - mainly because they were trying to run it on their stock A1200s and found it slowed things down considerably. On my Amithlon setup (Berniethlon, I suppose) I can't even tell the difference in performance between MUI apps and non-MUI ones, and the small amount of extra memory used is insignificant.

I also run Gnome on my Linux setup on the same machine, and to be honest, the term bloat never crosses my mind.
Bill Hoggett

Offline Seehund

• Show only replies by Seehund
    • http://AmigaPOP.8bit.co.uk/
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2002, 05:22:09 PM »
@bhoggett:

Exactly.

"I don't want that bloated pig AmigaOS 3.9! 1.3 is good enough for me, so it should be good enough for you too! Take your Commodities and Datatypes and shove'em! Throwing 68020's at the problem is a sign of poor programming! A good OS doesn't need more than 7 MHz and 512 kB, don't be suckered by the MHz Myth! Why don't you go work for Micro$oft??"

And it still goes on, and on, and on...
[color=0000FF]Maybe it\\\'s still possible to [/color]save AmigaOS [color=0000FF][/size][/color]  :rtfm:......