Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 1st time online with Amiga  (Read 1305 times)

Description:

Offline Abou27Topic starter

• Show only replies by Abou27
    • http://www.renault-agriculture.co.uk/forums/
1st time online with Amiga
« on: February 28, 2004, 03:50:03 PM »
Apologies if this is in the wrong section.  I have just this minute gone online with my A1200 for the first time ever!  Despite using a 16 col 640x495 screen, I have a huge grin stuck on my face!  This is the first site I have visited and I must say I am very surprised by the speed of it and how well it all looks - wicked.  Sorry, I just had to post something.  I still can't quite believe it!

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
Re: 1st time online with Amiga
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2004, 04:35:02 PM »
I remember the first time I went on the WWW in 95/96... that was on my A1200.

All my friends and I, had been using BBS's before that on our A500's so it wasn't really that novel.

Have fun.

Offline that_punk_guy

• Show only replies by that_punk_guy
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2004, 04:41:39 PM »
He he :-)

I did this last week. It kicked arses and willies in equal measure, but AGA's a bit on the slow side for comfortable use.

Offline sir_inferno

• Show only replies by sir_inferno
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2004, 04:49:35 PM »

that_punk_guy wrote:
It kicked arses and willies in equal measure

:roflmao:

Offline Vincent

• Show only replies by Vincent
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2004, 05:35:30 PM »

Abou27 wrote:
I still can't quite believe it!

Great feeling innit? :-D
Xbox360
"Oh no. Everytime you turn up something monumental and terrible happens.
I don\'t think I have the stomach for it." - Raziel

Offline Abou27Topic starter

• Show only replies by Abou27
    • http://www.renault-agriculture.co.uk/forums/
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2004, 06:02:22 PM »
Yeah, I suppose AGA is a bit slow for serious use!  Still, I was expecting it to be dog slow.  Not bad at all for sites with low graphical content and certainly usable for this site.  Hope to get a graphics card for my A4000 soon so will see what that is like.  It's going to take a while for the novelty to wear off, though!

Offline that_punk_guy

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2004, 06:24:05 PM »
I've just realised I haven't been on Faces of Amiga.org with my A1200 yet... should be a laugh seeing everyone dithered down to 128 colours ;-)

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2004, 07:49:02 PM »

that_punk_guy wrote:
I've just realised I haven't been on Faces of Amiga.org with my A1200 yet... should be a laugh seeing everyone dithered down to 128 colours ;-)

When I had the Gfx set higher than 128 (640*512 interlace), the Serial port would stop responding to the modem, and wouldn't work anymore :-(

Offline that_punk_guy

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2004, 08:10:23 PM »
bloodline wrote:
When I had the Gfx set higher than 128 (640*512 interlace), the Serial port would stop responding to the modem, and wouldn't work anymore :-(

After I read that I went to look at my screenmode prefs, I was sure I had it in 128 colours, but it was actually at 32. So I cranked it up to 256 and we don't look bad considering... Except I ran out of either chipmem or disk space and I can only see the top 3 pics.

Oh, how I long for the joys of RTG... something I've never seen on a real Miggy. Let's see now, I have ~220K chip left. Let's see what happens if I launch PPaint ;-)

Offline leirbag28

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2004, 10:56:06 PM »
@Abou27

Hehe, I remember the excitement myself.........when I first got online with my CD32/SX-1, I think it was...........man I was so freakin excited..........just wait till you try AmIRC and AmigAIM.........your gonna be soooo happy.like I was..man what a great feeling...........But NOTHING! absolutely nothing in the Amiga world, has so far beaten the Feeling I got when I first purchased the Full Motion Video Card for the CD32!  man I left that place feeling like I just ripped off the Seller....even though he ripped me off by selling it to me about $150.00 more than it was supposed to cost......but I was Happy regardless.

Dude............get AmIRC right away...........and if you want to be able to chat to People who have America OnLine or AOL Instant Messenger, then get AmigAIM...but you must have a screen name that you registered with your PC........and of course you need lots of buddies on your buddy List.then download the Amiga version.

but nothing beats AmIRC.....thousands of chat rooms and millions of people to talk to all over the world.

have fun dude!
CD32 is actually the best Amiga ever made by Commodore!...

Offline Jose

• Show only replies by Jose
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2004, 02:01:50 AM »
@About27
Instal FBlit

@bloodline
If you have a hardware serial card like the PrtJnr it will still respond well
I'd like to know the responsiveness of AGA with a PCMCIA network card though...

BTW I'd still like to know the results using some good HAM8 renderer (one that picks up base colors correctly...) for the images. That would be like 24bit:-D I've tried Brillinace2.0 recently for example, and I was amazed with the quality of the colors. I couldn't not the difference with 24bit. I even converted some 24 bit pictures I had on my PC to Iff to see the difference but no... :-o
I don't think there is a good general image rendered from 24 to HAM8 though, let alone fast. The few I've seen are dead slow and not very good on the quality.
If you're wondering why I'm freaking out with all this is cause I like it too and I have more or less the program design for a realtime 24 toHAM8 renderer without the usual color artifacts, but it takes 16MB RAM, so I though that was stupid....(didn't try to code it).
Anyway, I'll shup up now... :pint:
\\"We made Amiga, they {bleep}ed it up\\"

Offline Acill

« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2004, 03:26:48 AM »
Ah yes I love having my Amga online as well. In fact I am posting this from my A3000. You should looking into getting a Mediator for that A4000 you have. It will let you add quite a bit of cool hardware, including graphics cards.
Proud Retired Navy Chief!

A4000T - CSPPC - Mediator
Powerbook G4 15", 17"
Powermac G5 2GHZ
AmigaOne X5000
Need Amiga recap or other services in the US? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com and take a look or on facebook at http://facebook.com/acillclassics