Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 10 most influential Amiga programs  (Read 6914 times)

Description:

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
Re: 10 most influential Amiga programs
« Reply #44 from previous page: January 16, 2011, 06:29:32 PM »
Aye, the Toaster and LW and other related software was an absolute game changer for the computer industry, and absolutely instrumental in the success of the Amiga.  WB and the rest of the OS itself facilitated the Toaster in a way that worked so damned well, I dare say the Toaster wouldn't have been possible at that time on any other platform, at least not in such a user friendly way.  The kickass games didn't hurt, and either did all the cool productivity apps, but the Toaster was a real biggie in promoting the computer as a whole.

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #45 on: January 16, 2011, 07:51:49 PM »
Of course the Amiga was not the first personal computer to multi-task, no did it invent the idea.  A similar argument could be made about the two button mouse.  The computer world even back then was larger than just Apple....

Quote from: AmigaNG;607059
Mulitasking? I suppose it not really a program just part of the OS, but I think it did influence the industry in how a OS should function. (I only say it because I think everyone else have already said the best programs)

Oh and just to be even more off topic of programs another Big Influence of the Amiga to the computer market was to have a two button mouse.  In a way I'm right to post this as the industry must of seen the good users of having a two button mouse on the Amiga inside of programs, so promptly got there own, but in a way I know I'm wrong to post it :)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline persia

« Reply #46 on: January 16, 2011, 07:59:38 PM »
Perhaps two lists need to be made.  A list of things that were original to the Amiga, like VT and Lightwave and things that started somewhere else and we first introduced to a larger audience through the Amiga, such as personal computer multitasking and AREXX.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show only replies by runequester
« Reply #47 on: January 16, 2011, 08:30:13 PM »
Quote from: persia;607083
Perhaps two lists need to be made. A list of things that were original to the Amiga, like VT and Lightwave and things that started somewhere else and we first introduced to a larger audience through the Amiga, such as personal computer multitasking and AREXX.

or just things that were influential in the amiga community :)

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show only replies by fishy_fiz
« Reply #48 on: January 16, 2011, 08:49:17 PM »
I think a lot of you need to buy a dictionary and see what "influential" actually means  :)
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
« Reply #49 on: January 16, 2011, 08:53:14 PM »
Quote from: fishy_fiz;607092
I think a lot of you need to buy a dictionary and see what "influential" actually means :)

well, since the OP wasn't very specific, I don't think there's any need to limit it to "amiga programs that changed peoples life in Cambodia" :)

The amiga has a life and culture independently of the PC world, so why not talk about that :afro:

Offline persia

« Reply #50 on: January 16, 2011, 09:27:31 PM »
But influential surely means influential beyond the Amiga community.  I mean even in it's heyday the community numbered in the low millions and today it's down in the low 1000s.   Can something be said to be influential if it only affects that small a number of people?

The Amiga at it's beginning changed the face of computing, now it's just a backwater of a backwater so surely the list would have to be heavily weighted towards the early years....
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
« Reply #51 on: January 16, 2011, 09:31:59 PM »
Quote from: persia;607107
But influential surely means influential beyond the Amiga community. I mean even in it's heyday the community numbered in the low millions and today it's down in the low 1000s. Can something be said to be influential if it only affects that small a number of people?

The Amiga at it's beginning changed the face of computing, now it's just a backwater of a backwater so surely the list would have to be heavily weighted towards the early years....

I don't think it has to mean "computer world at large". If it was enough people to still have a fairly vibrant community 16 years later, it was enough people to be important :)

But then, Im not in charge so eh :)