Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 10 most influential Amiga programs  (Read 6923 times)

Description:

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show only replies by fishy_fiz
Re: 10 most influential Amiga programs
« Reply #29 from previous page: January 16, 2011, 05:55:54 AM »
Im surprised no-one has mentioned AMOS/AMOS Pro. While people tend to have a bit of a love/hate relationship with it, it sold very well back in the day, and it's not uncommon to read on random computer development blogs,etc. about how a person cut their teeth on AMOS. In addition to this there's plenty of BASIC dialects since that have been inpsired by AMOS (Dark Basic/Dark Basic Pro being very similar to AMOS and also having had good commercial success itself).
Blitz Basic parallels this too, but not on quite the same scale.

Dpaint is a bit unusual in my opinion in that while it was hugely successful, and also gets mentioned in interviews with random developers fondly, never seemed to directly influence many big name graphics tools of today. There's never realy been something akin to what a dpaint9 or 10 (or whatever) might have been, but rather evolved in a different (less elegant for my tastes) direction.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 06:00:06 AM by fishy_fiz »
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

Offline ElPolloDiabl

• Show only replies by ElPolloDiabl
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2011, 06:59:17 AM »
Agreeing with the above and also:
All the Cinemaware titles. No other system had games like that. They made the Amiga stand out from the competition.

Disksalv. When it was released for free it was a lifesaver.
Go Go Gadget Signature!

Offline Digiman

• Show only replies by Digiman
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2011, 10:13:22 AM »
Turbo Silver- one of the first 3D apps for Amiga.
Digiview - incredible hardware AND software
Deluxe Paint 1 - compared to what the Mac/PC had.......
Tripos - AKA what became Kickstart/Workbench 1.x
Aegis Sonix - early music program (+ The first sound sampler)
Marble Madness - an emulation of an arcade game

Probably loads more but I've concentrated on the period of the A1000 only.

Offline ChaosLord

• Show only replies by ChaosLord
    • http://totalchaoseng.dbv.pl/news.php
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2011, 11:44:15 AM »
Quote from: fishy_fiz;606988
Im surprised no-one has mentioned AMOS/AMOS Pro.
Wake up.  I mentioned it a long time ago. :)
Wanna try a wonderfull strategy game with lots of handdrawn anims,
Magic Spells and Monsters, Incredible playability and lastability,
English speech, etc. Total Chaos AGA

Offline gertsy

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by gertsy
    • http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/~gbakker64/
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2011, 12:18:13 PM »
Quote from: arttu80;606896
X-COPY ;)  DPaint, Real3D, ProTracker

Got that right.  X-Copy would have been the single most popular title on Amiga ever.

Offline Linde

• Show only replies by Linde
    • http://hata.zor.org/
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2011, 12:23:36 PM »
Quote from: ChaosLord;606867
CygnusEd Professional, GoldEd, SASC, AsmOne, Devpac, E, JC, Protracker, Octamed Sound Studio, Dpaint, Ppaint, Lightwave 3D, AmigaDOS, Directory Opus, FastJpeg_AGA, Viewtek, Mostra, Scala MultiMedia, Hollywood, ProWrite 3.3, Final Writer, WordWorth, Pagestream, Art Expression, Superbase Professional, Hippoplayer, AMOS, Blitz Basic, MUI, CrossDos, PARnet, Miami,  Broadcast Titler, Caligari, Disney Animator, Fantavision, Photogenix, ProVideo Gold, Videoscape 3D, Vista Pro, ClariSSA, Audiomaster, Audition 4, Bars & Pipes, Sonix, Dynamic Drums, Action Replay, LHA, AmIRC, WookieChat, CPUblit, Enforcer, MuForce, MuGuardianAngel, Sushi and TLSFmem.
"Influental?" For 90% of these, no, not really.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 12:27:45 PM by Linde »

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2011, 12:28:02 PM »
ADPro, DPaint, Ced, AmiTCP.  AmigaVision, the Gold Disk creativity apps, Lightwave and the Toaster tools, obviously.  LHA/LZX, as well as other similar type shareware utilities.  Too many games to list.  SAS/C and the whole plethora of different programming apps and utils of virtually every programming language that made so much cool software possible.

MUI and the apps it ushered in were a biggie too.  In the infancy of the consumer availability of the Internet, some of the MUI apps from VaporWare were huge.  Miami was a biggie for the common Amiga grunt back then when dialup Internet was just becoming popular, made connecting real easy compared to fighting with AmiTCP :)

Let's not forget what came prepackaged - ARexx!  Allowed the Amiga to do some pretty darned amazing things for the time.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 12:34:34 PM by Duce »

Offline Linde

• Show only replies by Linde
    • http://hata.zor.org/
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2011, 12:47:38 PM »
Quote from: Duce;607013
ADPro, DPaint, Ced, AmiTCP.  AmigaVision, the Gold Disk creativity apps, Lightwave and the Toaster tools, obviously.  LHA/LZX, as well as other similar type shareware utilities.  Too many games to list.  SAS/C and the whole plethora of different programming apps and utils of virtually every programming language that made so much cool software possible.

MUI and the apps it ushered in were a biggie too.  In the infancy of the consumer availability of the Internet, some of the MUI apps from VaporWare were huge.  Miami was a biggie for the common Amiga grunt back then when dialup Internet was just becoming popular, made connecting real easy compared to fighting with AmiTCP :)

Let's not forget what came prepackaged - ARexx!  Allowed the Amiga to do some pretty darned amazing things for the time.

Again, what further innovations did these apps influence? Also, neither LHA/LZX or Rexx were Amiga "firsts." How about I say that Doom is one of the most influental Amiga apps?

Offline Fats

• Show only replies by Fats
« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2011, 01:45:17 PM »
Quote from: Amiduffer;606854
Since the PC article listed some influential programs, list the 10 most influential Amiga computer programs on the computer industry.

The amiga demos: hustler and the bouncing ball
Not one program but the Fred Fish disks was I think a good start for the shareware, freeware scene.

greets,
Staf.
Trust me...                                              I know what I\'m doing

Offline Khephren

• Show only replies by Khephren
« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2011, 02:54:06 PM »
Deluxe Paint -The Defacto pixel editor for many years, used heavily in the video games industry and still gets copied on the PC now.

Cinema 4D - Still a major player in 3D packages.

Lightwave - Babylon 5, Seaquest, Robocop TV series etc.

Populous - The first god game.

Sound tracker -Trackers and MOD's are still being created, and the portable game systems still use trackertunes for music.

Directory Opus -still going, and several clones have been created for other platforms.

AMOS - a precusdor to click and play, dark basic etc.

TV paint -was used for a lot of TV work.

Workbench/Intuition   ;) Hello BeOs, i'm looking at you.

LZX -used for microsoft CAB files, I think.

IFF format. I think googles new image format is an IFF derivitive.

erm, that'll do for now.

Offline Duce

« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2011, 03:10:37 PM »
Quote from: Linde;607015
Again, what further innovations did these apps influence? Also, neither LHA/LZX or Rexx were Amiga "firsts." How about I say that Doom is one of the most influental Amiga apps?

Don't bust my balls, lol.  We aren't ever going to come up with a master list of the best/most influential programs on the Amiga with 10 spaces to fill.  

FYI, LZX was first on the Amiga.  MS later snapped up Jonathan Forbes (of Xenolink BBS fame) and rolled the technology into the .cab format, among others.  If you can't see where LZX ended up, well....  I really don't care if software was on a previous platform as long as it brought features when it was rolled onto the Amiga platform.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LZX_%28algorithm%29#Amiga_LZX

While Arexx was not an Amiga first, anyone denying the impact it had on the Amiga OS and how Amiga programs interacted with each other via Arexx other is a fool.  Further innovations? - it's still extremely useful in OS 4, I simply couldn't live without ARexx functionality on my SAM.  ARexx was HUGE to the Amiga OS.  Half the bloody apps like ADPro and the big guns in the AmigaOS SW area got a lot of life and power out of ARexx.  Christ, I remember running a BBS on my old A4000 and running an ARexx script via said BBS to convert new uploaded images the minute they landed in ADPro, and fire them back to the user on the fly in another format.  That was unheard of back then, the amount of give and take between programs.  I ran an entire zone Fido subhub on a single A4000 with 4 Arexx scripts cause the RC couldn't do it on his 4 networked dosboxes cause they could not pull FTP'ed incoming echomail while tossing netmail packets.

Arexx was massive in regards to the professional market, and was absolutely instrumental in how the video/gfx/rendering appeal of the Amiga gained a foothold.  Being able to swap data/files between programs via ARexx scripts/ports in the Toaster Suite with things like ADPro and other similar image processing stuff was a major selling point of the capabilities of the Amiga.  If it wasn't an included feature of the program you bought, chances are said program had an ARexx port you could script for to allow program/file interaction, there were entire programs built on the back of an ARexx port.  No serious Amiga program lacked an ARexx port.

if you want to pick nits - is Amiga Basic not a "first" or "native" app cause Microsoft coded it then ported it for C=?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 03:59:20 PM by Duce »

Offline redfox

• Show only replies by redfox
« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2011, 03:36:17 PM »
MUI, ARexx and ARexx support by many applications programs.

MUI was used for many fine programs such as IBrowse, YAM and SimpleMail.

ARexx provides a somewhat easy way to build scripts and macros to interact with other programs which have an ARexx compatible port.

---
redfox

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show only replies by runequester
« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2011, 04:36:23 PM »
Shadow of the beast.

Certainly helped sell some amiga's back in the day :)

Offline motrucker

« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2011, 05:59:21 PM »
Contrary to what several people have posted, there really are not many choices here.
Lightwave, and almost anything connected to the Video Toaster influenced the entire computer industry. DPaint had an influence. Bars & Pipes? maybe. What about Workbench itself? I would tend to think the Workbench had a direct influence on the industry.
A2000 GVP 40MHz \'030, 21Mb RAM SD/FF, 2 floppies, internal CD-ROM drive, micromys v3 w/laser mouse
A1000 Microbotics Starboard II w/2Mb 1080, & external floppy (AIRdrive)
C-128 w/1571, 1750, & Final Cartridge III+

Offline AmigaNG

• Show only replies by AmigaNG
« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2011, 06:18:56 PM »
Mulitasking? I suppose it not really a program just part of the OS, but I think it did influence the industry in how a OS should function. (I only say it because I think everyone else have already said the best programs)

Oh and just to be even more off topic of programs another Big Influence of the Amiga to the computer market was to have a two button mouse.  In a way I'm right to post this as the industry must of seen the good users of having a two button mouse on the Amiga inside of programs, so promptly got there own, but in a way I know I'm wrong to post it :)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 06:23:39 PM by AmigaNG »

Offline Duce

« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2011, 06:29:32 PM »
Aye, the Toaster and LW and other related software was an absolute game changer for the computer industry, and absolutely instrumental in the success of the Amiga.  WB and the rest of the OS itself facilitated the Toaster in a way that worked so damned well, I dare say the Toaster wouldn't have been possible at that time on any other platform, at least not in such a user friendly way.  The kickass games didn't hurt, and either did all the cool productivity apps, but the Toaster was a real biggie in promoting the computer as a whole.