Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Quit from APP to OS  (Read 1120 times)

Description:

Offline 3246251196Topic starter

• Show only replies by 3246251196
Quit from APP to OS
« on: April 14, 2006, 02:31:46 AM »
it is really annoying needing to completely quit out of the application just to reload OS.

surely there is a key combo that will quit a game and go back to OS? ?

Offline adolescent

• Show only replies by adolescent
Re: Quit from APP to OS
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2006, 03:16:40 AM »
Which application/game?  If the game takes over the system it might not be possible.  System friendly games, and games installed with WHDLoad, JST, etc., should have a quit option.
Time to move on.  Bye Amiga.org.  :(

Offline realmadman

• Show only replies by realmadman
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2006, 03:44:54 AM »
surely there is a key combo that will quit a game and go back to OS? ?
Yeah, there is, try {Ctrl}-{Left Amiga}-{Right Amiga} all at once.  But if you've finished with the game or application, why would you need to quit it?  You do know that it's safe to shut down an Amiga anytime without having to shut down anything as long as it's not writing to disk or the hard drive, don't you?  It's not a Windoze PC or a Mac...  :-D

Offline zefiro

• Show only replies by zefiro
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2006, 04:42:39 AM »
...or BeOS ..or Linux... or BSD... or.. and so on...  :-D

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2006, 03:56:35 PM »
well, its like when your in Windows, you open a game, then to quite there is a QUITE TO WINDOWS option. however, not for amiga games. so is there something like Alt+F4 ? however, this quits not only the game BUT OS too. lol see what i am getting at..

anyway, my 1200 should be through on monday FINALLY!

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2006, 04:17:37 PM »
Most old games were designed to be booted from disk, never using the OS (Thus, nothing to quit back to). Various hacks could get them installed to hard drives, with the side effect of being unable to quit without a reboot.

Until WHDLoad that is. It will allow you to install games to the hard disk and quit them with a Hotkey (usually F10, *, or Del).

Offline _yak_

• Show only replies by _yak_
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2006, 04:19:38 PM »
The problem with those Amiga games is that they kill the OS and take over the whole RAM overwriting all apps making it impossible to go back, that's why there's no Quit option.

I wonder how WHDLoad handles such games...

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2006, 05:43:53 PM »
hmm, so when i get my real amiga - i cannot just install which game i wont to the HDD?

its just i feel diskettes are very inconsistent and i would like to install them to HDD for better speed

???

Offline srg86

• Show only replies by srg86
    • http://www.aopp12.dsl.pipex.com
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2006, 06:49:18 PM »
The amiga is slow at reading disks, granted.

The trouble is that most amiga games were written in the days when most people who bought them didn't have hard disks.

Offline TjLaZer

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2006, 07:07:11 PM »
The majority of games were written to not be installable to a HD, or even quit to DOS.  The reason was not what most think (time before people had HD's), it was copy protection.  They would autoboot from disk directly and in most cases do their copy protection checks to make sure it is an original disk and not a copy.  A good example are Psygnosis games.  So with that said no you will not be able to install them to a HD.  Some later games allowed this feature (Like Sierra games) but *most* do not work on later Amigas with faster CPUs and or later WBs.  (Kickstart 2.x +)  A side note most Sierra games that were HD installable work great on all Amigas!  Even on 060's.

But there is a solution!!!  WHDLoad and JST.  These are patches that make these disk only games installable to WB and also add a quit option to exit back to the OS!  They even remove manual copy protection and add trainiers too.  Yes it really is great.  I recommend you register WHDLoad as it is shareware and some games will not work unless you register but you can give it a try first.  You will need the original disk in most cases to install the game, or you can download some WHDLoad games off the net if you can find them, but that would be piracy and you can be throw in jail if you do that.  ;)

:banana:
Going Bananas over AMIGAs since 1987...

Looking for Fusion Fourty PNG ROMs V3.4?

:flame: :banana: :banana: :banana:

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2006, 07:12:57 PM »
yes, i have WHDLoad for Colanto on my PC.

when i get my A1200 i will need to copy over the extracted WHDLoad files to the AmigaOS and use WHDLoad yes?

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2006, 01:33:11 AM »
Yes, that should work. Probably best to install the WHDLoad package from scratch, since it has some support files that you'll need for installing new games from disk. Other than that, just copy over the directories of any previously-installed games and they should be fine.

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2006, 08:46:56 PM »
hmm thats annoying - i am getting READWRITE errors when installing Theme Park AGA - and it just stays there. with no ALTF4 option then the only option is to totally Cntrl Left A and Right A - i.e. restart?

Offline motorollin

• Show only replies by motorollin
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2006, 08:59:51 PM »
_yak_ wrote:
The problem with those Amiga games is that they kill the OS and take over the whole RAM overwriting all apps making it impossible to go back, that's why there's no Quit option.

I wonder how WHDLoad handles such games...

It allocates RAM for the game in a system friendly way so that other apps' memory is not destroyed. When you quit the game, the memory is de-allocated so it can be used by something else.

--
moto
Code: [Select]
10  IT\'S THE FINAL COUNTDOWN
20  FOR C = 1 TO 2
30     DA-NA-NAAAA-NAAAA DA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAA
40     DA-NA-NAAAA-NAAAA DA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAAA
50  NEXT C
60  NA-NA-NAAAA
70  NA-NA NA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAA NAAA-NAAAAAAAAAAA
80  GOTO 10