Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: windows = workbench  (Read 3773 times)

Description:

Offline leirbag28

Re: windows = workbench
« Reply #29 from previous page: April 01, 2006, 09:00:44 AM »
@3246251196

Amazing how no one ha answered your questions

Workbench (AmigaOS) is to Amiga What Windows is to PC

Workbench and AmigaOS are exactly the same thing...in the beginning it was called Workbench (sometimes referred to as Intuition) but now is called AmigaOS...........dont listen to what anyone else tells you.....they will confuse you with technical jargon.

Workbench is complete as it is. its a Small Operating Sytem.....thast why its so cool becuase it can run off a floppy disk.............but of course Hard drive installed is way better.

Now to get it up to Par like Windows98 lets say.................there are tons of hacks and upgrades and eyecandy you can download to make it look more modern...........................like cool icons, backgrounds and just totally customize the look. Workbench 3.1 can llok better than Windows98

or you can just go straight to AmigaOS3.9 (Workbench 3.9) which was the Last OS made for Non PowerPC Amigas and it will look somewhat nice right out of the box................but essentially OS3.9 is basically Workbench3.1 with all the hacks I told you that you can download, except already prepackaged. OS3.5 and 3.9 needs the Kickstart ROM 3.1

Kickstart on Amiga = BIOS chip on PC

You can do almost anything Windows98 does on the Amiga with Workbench 3.1

You can:

Use AOL Instant Messenger (AmigAIM)
Yahoo Instant messenger (JabberWocky)
iPOD pod casting (AmiPodder)
IRC     (AmIRC, BlackIRC, Wookichat)
Internet Explorer   (A-Web, iBrowse, Voyager)
Outlook express or JUNO    (YAM, SimpleMail)
PowerPoint      (SCALA MM300, MediaPoint, AmigaVision)
Microsoft Word   (Final Writer, AmigaWriter, Wordworth)
Excel    (Final Data)
WinAMP      (AMPlifier, Amiga AMP)
WinZIP    (WizARC, X-ARC)
Adobe PhotoShop    (Perfect Paint, ImageFX, FX Paint)

And Tons tons more!!!

Amiga and Workbench are still great Today

Get a 68030 50mhz with 32 MB or more if you can..better if you get a 68040 or 68060.
you can get a GFX card too but that changes things a little and things get a little weird from there.

CD32 is actually the best Amiga ever made by Commodore!...

Offline Doobrey

• Show only replies by Doobrey
    • http://www.doobreynet.co.uk
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2006, 11:39:02 AM »

leirbag28 wrote:

Workbench and AmigaOS are exactly the same thing...in the beginning it was called Workbench (sometimes referred to as Intuition) but now is called AmigaOS...........dont listen to what anyone else tells you.....they will confuse you with technical jargon.

Nope, it the beginning it was planned to be CAOS but it wasn't gonna be ready for the Amiga launch so they ported Tripos and called it AmigaDOS instead.
see AmigaForever.com for more.
or In the beginning was CAOS by Andy Finkel(CBM-Amiga software manager)

in the beginning it was called Workbench (sometimes referred to as Intuition)

Workbench and Intuition are two totally different things, but I'll save you the technical jargon so save confusing you ;-)
On schedule, and suing

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2006, 12:05:04 PM »

leirbag28 wrote:
@3246251196

Amazing how no one ha answered your questions

Workbench (AmigaOS) is to Amiga What Windows is to PC

Wrong.

"Workbench" is to AmigaOS, what "Explorer" is to Windows.

Workbench is the desktop.
AmigaOS is the collection of libraries (and releated components) and programs which are provided with the Amiga Computer.

Intuition is one of the libraries supplied with AmigaOS... it is the toolkit which the Workbench is built from.

Workbench is complete as it is. its a Small Operating Sytem.....thast why its so cool becuase it can run off a floppy disk.............but of course Hard drive installed is way better.

Workbench can run from an 880Kb floppy because the OS is on a 512K ROM.

Now to get it up to Par like Windows98 lets say.................there are tons of hacks and upgrades and eyecandy you can download to make it look more modern...........................like cool icons, backgrounds and just totally customize the look. Workbench 3.1 can llok better than Windows98

What is you thing with Windows98... that is an 8 year old operating system that hasn't been supported for 5years!!! DON'T USE IT!!!

or you can just go straight to AmigaOS3.9 (Workbench 3.9) which was the Last OS made for Non PowerPC Amigas and it will look somewhat nice right out of the box................but essentially OS3.9 is basically Workbench3.1 with all the hacks I told you that you can download, except already prepackaged. OS3.5 and 3.9 needs the Kickstart ROM 3.1

Kickstart on Amiga = BIOS chip on PC

Not really... The kickstart is a combination if a BIOS and a Boot disk... The PC BIOS also has some nonvolatile memory that the Amiga does not have.

You can do almost anything Windows98 does on the Amiga with Workbench 3.1

You can:

Use AOL Instant Messenger (AmigAIM)
Yahoo Instant messenger (JabberWocky)
iPOD pod casting (AmiPodder)
IRC     (AmIRC, BlackIRC, Wookichat)
Internet Explorer   (A-Web, iBrowse, Voyager)
Outlook express or JUNO    (YAM, SimpleMail)
PowerPoint      (SCALA MM300, MediaPoint, AmigaVision)
Microsoft Word   (Final Writer, AmigaWriter, Wordworth)
Excel    (Final Data)
WinAMP      (AMPlifier, Amiga AMP)
WinZIP    (WizARC, X-ARC)
Adobe PhotoShop    (Perfect Paint, ImageFX, FX Paint)

You can't compare Photoshop with ANY Amiga image package!
You can't compare Execl with Final Data, nor can you compare Internet Explorer with ANY Amiga browser!

The Amiga has NOTHING that compares with the latest of these packages.

And neither the Amiga nor Windows has anything that compares to Logic Pro 7.2!

And Tons tons more!!!

Amiga and Workbench are still great Today

Fun to play with but not to do real work on... which was the Amiga's great strength in its day.

Get a 68030 50mhz with 32 MB or more if you can..better if you get a 68040 or 68060.
you can get a GFX card too but that changes things a little and things get a little weird from there.

Or better get WinUAE...

Offline orange

• Show only replies by orange
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2006, 12:09:57 PM »
@Thomas
but Desktop is just a special directory so its not that much different from workbench
Better sorry than worry.

Offline Doobrey

• Show only replies by Doobrey
    • http://www.doobreynet.co.uk
« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2006, 12:56:13 PM »

bloodline wrote:

The PC BIOS also has some nonvolatile memory that the Amiga does not have.

Not all PCs have NVRam, some (especially older ones) store the BIOS settings in the CMOS RAM in the RTC chip..just like the A3000 does with SCSI settings.
On schedule, and suing

Offline Waccoon

• Show only replies by Waccoon
« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2006, 01:26:14 PM »
Thomas:  Nonsense. What you see when Windows if fully loaded is called desktop. So if you are looking for counterparts you can compare "AmigaOS" to "Windows" and "Workbench" to "desktop".

Actually, it's Explorer (explorer.exe).  You can use different 3rd party desktop managers for Windows.

The philisophy behind the Windows desktop and the Amiga Workbench is different, though. Workbench works more like the Windows "My Computer" folder, i.e. it uses the directory structure of the file system for its drawers (although by default it only shows files with icons) while the Windows desktop is a complete abstraction layer between the user interface and the file system.

Sort of.  Different versions of Windows handle the visibility of files in different ways.  By default, files will be shows directly on a Windows desktop unless there's a filter applied to mask certain files or show files that don't actually exist.

Workbench (much like MacOS), is more like the abstraction layer.  Files exist in multiple places on the drive but show up on the desktop if you drag them there.  This is why you can "put away" icons from a Workbench screen, and programs can "iconize".  Windows doesn't really do things that way, though you can make it do things like that with the proper ClassID patch.  I think you have to have seperate ClassIDs for each behavior, while AmigaOS is more generalized.

The "filesystems" of the Amiga ROM and RAM disk also have their own special properties, and some resources can be accessed through special assigns.  The Windows filesystem and desktop aren't as clever.  Don't even get me started about the Registry, which has to be one of the worst things Microsoft ever did to Windows.

mpiva:  MS-DOS = AmigaDOS (Command Prompt = CLI/Shell)

The nice thing about MS-DOS, though, is that the entire shell and a bunch of critical commands are all integrated into COMMAND.COM.  With AmigaDOS, the shell and commands are seperate, which is why it's frustrating to get a directory listing on an Amiga floppy disk if there's no dir command on that floppy.  It would've been SO much better if those commands were included in the shell itself, like MS-DOS.  Of course, almost everything else about MS-DOS sucked.  ;-)

motorollin:  That's not true. In Win95, DOS is only used to boot the system. Once the Win95 kernel is loaded, this replaces the DOS functions with its own.

Sort of.  To maintain backwards compatibility with DOS and software that didn't run in protected mode, Win95 was a hybrid mess which ran more than one kernel (Kernel16 and Kernel32).  It wasn't stable, but it was a clever piece of work to add protected mode to the OS, unlike what Apple was doing (nothing until OSX, basicly).

The NT kernel is truly DOS free, thank goodness.

Tomas:  It does boot straight into WB even on a old a500 when using a HD.

If you tell it to.  Without startup sequence, you have to know what you are doing.  :-)

Tomas:  I think that Workbench/AmigaOS is superiour to even Windows9x/ME and it still have quite a few advantages over modern Win2k/XP as well.

Application framework doesn't even come close.  On OS3, technically, you had to start ARexx manually.  It's also easy to give AmigaOS the thumbs up for efficiency, but remember that it only works on one basic hardware platform, and has large amounts of assembler, which is precicely why OS4 has taken forever to port.  It was great in its heyday, but priorities are very different today.

Also note that Windows is a very cautious OS (really), and keeps logs of everything to weed out infinite loops on startup.  AmigaOS will just crash over and over and you have to do a Ctrl-D and poke around your startup sequence to find the problem.  Windows will also queue files that need to be patched on startup, while most other OSes require you to boot into a maintenance mode and poke around with the internals in rather unsafe ways (AmigaOS doesn't even have a maintenance mode!)

Windows has lots of problems, especially when it comes to reinstallation and Microsoft's paranoia about being able to boot off a removable disk, but there's a lot of design points Amiga and UNIX fans could learn about proper user interaction.  For one, being able to update drivers by running an installer.  I hate updating Linux drivers, and AmigaOS, as usual, requires startup-sequence splices.  It's amazing how little progress has been made in this area!

InTheSand:  The Amiga's windowing environment (called Intuition) is mostly built into the Kickstart ROM chips. If you own a working Amiga with working ROMs, you already have the bulk of the OS.

Correct.  Shell commands exist on the disks, though, and they're not much fun if "resident" isn't available.  That's also why AmigaOS is so miserly with memory.  When you open a library, it's opened directly from the ROM.  I wish Windows did more of this.  Microsoft has a love affair with "services", which takes up the majority of resources.  On a clean install of Windows, more than half of the services are definately not required; they just waste memory.  It's like having 1,000 printer drivers preinstalled on your hard drive.  99% or more of them will never be used, and if you buy a printer, you'll have to install new drivers, anyway, but hey... JUST IN CASE!

leirbag28:  Workbench and AmigaOS are exactly the same thing...in the beginning it was called Workbench (sometimes referred to as Intuition) but now is called AmigaOS...........dont listen to what anyone else tells you.....they will confuse you with technical jargon.

The technical jargon is confusing, but the point is that the desktop/window manager isn't really part of an OS.  There's no hard line between where the OS ends and the desktop begins.  AmigaOS can run just fine without Workbench.  On a Linux box, Linux is a kernel, GNU is the OS, and the X Window System is the desktop (aka Graphics Server).  Hell, at this point, people still can't agree if a web browser (system browser?) is part of the OS or not, because on Windows, Explorer and Intenet Explorer share the same base libraries.  Microsoft just did a better job of modularizing the technology after the Mandatory Browser fiasco.

leirbag28:  Kickstart on Amiga = BIOS chip on PC

I'm not sure if Kickstart refers to just the bootstrap or the booter + ROM image.  On the A1000, the Kickstart disk is the actual AmigaOS "ROM", and the bootstrap is in the hardware.  I guess it varies from system to system -- more blurred lines and technical nit-picking.

Bloodline:  Not really... The kickstart is a combination if a BIOS and a Boot disk... The PC BIOS also has some nonvolatile memory that the Amiga does not have.

Oh yeah.  The nice thing about a PC BIOS is that you can customize it and save your changes.  It would be real nice if I could tell my 1200 to always boot in PAL mode.  One of these days I'll look up a hardware hack.

Of course, on most PCs, if you lose the power while flashing the BIOS, or your memory timings are wrong, you're toast.  Here's a tip:  don't mess with memory timings on an nForce2 motherboard.  The siren sound you hear sounds like an ambulance for a reason, and holding the Insert key doesn't always work.  My first Athlon system was a nightmare!

Bloodline:  Or better get WinUAE...

It depends how hardcore you are.  I'm a softie.  I just want to click a button to turn it on and have it run on a real VGA monitor.  It makes it easy to restart if it crashes, too, without worrying about the "click of death" that wipes out your hard drive.  Shadow of the Beast wiped out my real Amiga HD once, and boy was I mad (this was before DiskSalv, too!)  :-)

Offline 3246251196Topic starter

• Show only replies by 3246251196
« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2006, 02:04:21 PM »
i have WinUAE for the PC - but i would prefer an Amiga for real personally. i have used WinUAE for some years too but thats not real amiga IMO.

« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2006, 03:31:40 PM »
ok then guys. so as a last question (as most stuff is now clear) - with the amiga i am getting - its a used commodore (so it will probo have a 3.0 rom chip) - can i use AmigaOS3.5? or can i even go higher?

« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2006, 04:07:16 PM »
sorry about MULTIPLE posting:

i just done a search for the OS3.5 requirements:

Basic system requirements:
CD-ROM drive
Hard drive
68020 or higher processor
Amiga 3.1 ROMs (version 40.xx)
4 MB Fast RAM

i dont think my A1200 will have anything there OTHER than the HDD...

Offline adz

• Knight of the Sock
    • Show only replies by adz
« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2006, 04:37:54 PM »

nasty wrote:

There is no equivalent, cause with an amigaOS you get an OS that works :-D

Yawn...gee I'm really growing tired of this Windows bashing...having just installed Win XP x64, one can only dream that AOS will even reach this stage, let alone better it.

« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2006, 02:30:44 AM »
you know in DOS you create Batch Files

can you do the equiv in AmigaShell?

Offline leirbag28

« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2006, 02:57:49 AM »

Haha, you dudes are funny..........this is what I meant by technical Jargon, "technically" (hehe) you are right...........but to explain to someone who asks simple questions like:

Whats Amiga's OS?   answer: Workbench
Does Amiga have a BIOS?    answer: it has a Kickstart

You know what they are asking when they ask these kinds of questions. When someone asks what OS a PC uses, we dont get all technical and Start refering to Windows Explorer or MSDOS...we Just say Windows. :-D
CD32 is actually the best Amiga ever made by Commodore!...

« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2006, 04:16:45 AM »
http://forums.amd.com/index.php?showtopic=72631

is that information correct. its on my regular forum - even though i have been on this one SO MUCH MORE since i joined - its a very nice compact and pleasent forum is this A.ORG.

however, i think i have the memory spec wrong... ?

Offline Waccoon

• Show only replies by Waccoon
« Reply #42 on: April 02, 2006, 04:44:00 AM »
you know in DOS you create Batch Files

can you do the equiv in AmigaShell?

The "execute" shell command can be used to run a batch file just like it is a startup-sequence.

There is also a program called "IconX", but I'm not really sure how it differs from execute.

« Reply #43 on: April 02, 2006, 05:10:34 AM »
yeah its just i need something like a notepad to create the batch file first. this is all just experimentation.

Offline motorollin

• Show only replies by motorollin
« Reply #44 on: April 02, 2006, 10:35:58 AM »
3246251196 wrote:
yeah its just i need something like a notepad to create the batch file first. this is all just experimentation.

Use the "ed" command in the cli:

1.>ed filename

This will open a window to let you type your batch file. Then press then x then to save the file.

--
moto
Code: [Select]
10  IT\'S THE FINAL COUNTDOWN
20  FOR C = 1 TO 2
30     DA-NA-NAAAA-NAAAA DA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAA
40     DA-NA-NAAAA-NAAAA DA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAAA
50  NEXT C
60  NA-NA-NAAAA
70  NA-NA NA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAA NAAA-NAAAAAAAAAAA
80  GOTO 10