Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: AmigaDOS question - Protect  (Read 4504 times)

Description:

Offline GryfonTopic starter

AmigaDOS question - Protect
« on: September 26, 2019, 05:39:50 PM »
It's been an age, so I'm opening this out to the crowd.

How to I push out "write" flags to a folder (and its' contents) in AmigaDOS?

If I recall correctly it's the Protect command...

Thanks in advance.
\\"We should take off and nuke the entire site from orbit.  It's the only way to be sure.\\" Ripley, Aliens

Offline TribbleSmasher

Re: AmigaDOS question - Protect
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2019, 05:53:07 PM »
This should work:
Code: [Select]
PROTECT Work:Mydir  +W  ALL

The following users thanked this post: Gryfon

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2019, 01:48:50 PM »
That's the very one - thank you very much!  My memory for such things is poor.

Having a problem with it...

Using FS-UAE 3.0 on a PC with Windows; installed OS 3.9.  It's installed in a directory, not an HDF.  Also have a Work: directory as a hard drive. 

I un-LHA'd Boing Bag 1 on the Work: drive (within OS 3.9, not from Windows) but when installing it ran up against some read-only files and crashed.  It wrecked the System installation, so I had to start again.

Rebuilt 3.9 System: and am keeping a copy of the folder safe.

I've un-LHA'd Boing Bag 1 again to Work:, but thought I would add the read/write flag manually to the entire folder before installing.

Problem is it keeps getting part way through applying the W flag, then FS-UAE session freezes, crashes and disappears.
When I restart, I can run the protect command again, but it crashes again on different files every time.

I think I will just knock up a quick HDF file, un-LHA the archive to there and then run PROECT on it.

Meanwhile thanks again for your help.
\\"We should take off and nuke the entire site from orbit.  It's the only way to be sure.\\" Ripley, Aliens

Offline TribbleSmasher

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2019, 05:24:05 PM »
Yes, use a HDF, this is much better. Maybe Windows is trying to index the folder or that stupid malwareprotectionservice is messing with it.

The following users thanked this post: Gryfon

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2019, 02:14:42 PM »
That worked perfectly - unLHA'ing to the HDF meant I didn't have to push the write flag at all.

The only other 'gotcha' was Boing Bag 1 failing to install but without error, so I grabbed the installer from C on the OS3.9 CD and copied over the one in C and Utilities; I figured the Boing Bag would work with the installer that came with OS3.9 and it worked perfectly.

Thanks again for your advice.