Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: AmigaOS 68k development - components, critics, bugs, work-arounds, tips&tricks  (Read 51463 times)

Description:

Offline psxphill

It would also require to include relocation information in the (ROM) based compressed image.

I used skick/mkick for a while, RTB/PAT files for skick/mkick would be nice. Although I'm not sure about the benefits of compressing it into a ROM

Offline psxphill

This is neither related to SKick, as - again - SKick maps the ROM to RAM, though with relocation information - but mapping a compressed image to some place makes neither sense.

How is it not related? Both load the kickstart from somewhere into RAM, whether it's from floppy, hard drive or a compressed ROM. I'm not sure I'd bother compressing it into ROM, but I have and would load a kickstart from floppy and hard drive.

One way or another, this is not a good option. It requires more RAM, not just the decompressor, and as most users use hard disks anyhow, it is much simpler to load the modules missing in ROM from harddisk instead. It also makes the kickstart more flexible.

It's a good option if you want to be able to load different kickstarts but don't have an MMU or hardware that lets you load kickstart from disk in another way. It's more flexible than being limited to one version of kickstart.

For the limited use case that you are arguing against then I agree, but that doesn't mean that I wouldn't load kickstart into RAM in other situations.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2019, 01:32:59 PM by psxphill »

Offline psxphill

Because it is an entirely different mechanism. SKICK attempts to guess how to relocate binaries, with an additional patch file that was "hand generated". LoadModule, and System-Startup work by standard HUNK files that carry relocation information within them. Thus, no MMU is needed for disk-based modules, and no guesswork is needed for relocation, and the format is a standard binary load format.

I think you misunderstood my post. You appeared to be saying that skick wasn't related to compressed kickstart, I was saying it was.
Without MMU you would need to allocate ram to decompress kickstart and so it would need to be relocated.

LoadModule,SKick and System-startup have different purposes, so it is hard to compare. SKick replaces an entire kickstart blob (in a rather hacky fashion, requires hand-generated patch files). LoadModule replaces isolated modules from disk, requiring a reboot. System-Startup updates ROM modules from RAM without requiring a reboot, loading them from disk as needed.

I understand the difference between skick and loadmodule.

The files necessary for skick could be machine generated, no matter how hacky you consider it.

skick support would be great