Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Is there any kickstart relocator/switcher with ribbon cable?  (Read 7021 times)

Description:

Offline scuzzb494

Re: Is there any kickstart relocator/switcher with ribbon cable?
« Reply #14 from previous page: October 30, 2018, 02:12:57 AM »
Sadly the only way would be to invent a time machine. The amount of times I have wished I could go back in time and recover a few of these goodies. Not sure if anyone produced a diagram. When I get a moment I will do some digging through my magazines and see if I can find anything.

Offline wbrejnia

• Show only replies by wbrejnia
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2018, 03:48:36 AM »
You might be in luck.  You can go back in TIME.  With the Real deal thing.

I have one of these. UNITECH (original) 2 ROM Switchers.  Like NEW.

https://bboah.com/index.php?action=artikel&cat=62&id=2644&artlang=en

I bought it last year on Ebay(Australia) for my A2000 Restore project.
I was going to convert it to work off a ribbon cable to move it over, and also to make one ROM socket a Zip SOcket to flip my other Kickstart ROM manually.

Using a few parts I also acquired as shown below. (To make a ribbon cable extender, to snap the Unitech into it, and then ribbon cable pins into Amiga Socket)

But I came across a real Cool Drum Machine ROM Switcher, that does 4 ROMs, and Exactly what I needed.

The one I got (shown installed and working above) is different but similar to one of these http://musictechnologiesgroup.com/blog/?p=54
Mine is NOT an electronic switch (like in the link), but a TURN Mechanical Switch (that actually works with Amiga)

The UNITECH orginal Amiga Switcher is like brand new (work 100% for two ROM), and I might be interested in selling all the parts if anyone is interested.
Soldering would be required since I didn't finish the project. (NO soldering required on the Unitech.  Just soldering required to make the extender, or get a Male-to-Male Socket ribbon extender [which I tried to find, but they don't make anymore].
Once extender is made the Unitech would snap in, and the other end into the Amiga ROM socket.

I could finish the Ribbron-Cable-Extender build but then price would go significantly up, and Not sure I have the time.

I'm an electronic Engineer and to Copy one of these Unitechs would be a challenge to make the Circuit board (also illegal too).  And the CHIP is not marked anyway which is also needed to understand how the Flip works.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 04:28:16 AM by wbrejnia »

Offline brostenenTopic starter

• Show only replies by brostenen
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2018, 10:48:02 AM »
I have been looking over my Amiga500 and were the CPU relocator goes over the Kickstart socket and chip.

As far as I can see, I really need that ribbon cable, and as I really only need to have that 1.3/3.1 dual-rom-single-ic installed. Then I have decided to build a relocator my self. So today I have ordered parts on eBay, and if everything goes well, then I will be building 5 kickstart relocators, that can be used with my specific choice of a500 upgrade. If stuff does not go my way, I think I will manage to pull off 3 pieces of relocators. It all depends on how bad I am at messing stuff up when soldering.  ;D

Untill further. Thanks for all the input guys. I really apreciate it, and hopefully I will be able to make this work. If not, I will contact you all for a price on them kickrom switchers.