Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Atn metalheads, go buy this album!  (Read 6843 times)

Description:

Offline Wain

• Show all replies
Re: Atn metalheads, go buy this album!
« on: February 17, 2004, 11:32:02 PM »
Sheesh you guys!

I gotta' go find bloodline, he's the only one on here who listens to any of the music I do.
:-)
Professional Expatriate

Offline Wain

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2004, 12:31:46 AM »
Yes I do listen to Philip Glass from time to time, it's more just that I am decidedly NOT a fan of metal, punk, Pantera, emo, or anything Grohl's ever touched...but to each his own, I am all for everyone being able to enjoy whatever it is they like.
:-)
Professional Expatriate

Offline Wain

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2004, 04:01:57 AM »
I like the way he uses his motives (motifs depending on where you've been educated) with strings and flutes or clarinets and just runs up a trichord over and over and over again on a loop and still manages to make some really pretty motion out of it.

I LOVE Akhnaton(pardon spelling), the rhythms and meters are so bizarre, it's amazing the way he can bring them full circle into something intelligible to the listener.

and the David Bowie ballet stuff is wonderful.  I particularly like what he did with "Heroes"

Eintstein on the Beach is just fascinating (still waiting for a chance to see this, it gets performed here every once in a great while).  Of course, any opera with a 20+ minute stage cross AND where the audience members are encouraged to get up and walk around and mingle with each other during the performance can't help but be intriguing.

I dunno', I like lots of stuff about his work, but most of it I can't explain without going into music theory terms, and I don't really know what you know or don't in that regard and would rather not drown you in stuff that may be completely esoteric.

Professional Expatriate

Offline Wain

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2004, 05:01:51 PM »
What the heck you talking about and in what language? I have no idea what you just said!  

:lol:

Exactly!

I should probably explain here to anyone who doesn't know that I am about to receive a Bachelor of Music degree in Composition.  So, sometimes whwn talking about music I tend to run off into the language of Music theoy.  

Aside from talking about Philip Glass, I was actually discussing some of what it is he actually does from a Theory or Composer/Music Analyst standpoint.

Ummmm...to make clearer.  A Trichord is three notes that all come after one another at some part of a scale.  Like C then B then A going downward, or E, F#, G, any three notes so long as they come after one another (there are some nit-picky exceptions that don't matter in the context of my message)

Ummmm, meter is more complicated, it's essentially how Beats are arranged and how they move in a piece.

and Philip Glass has made two albums of work composed of pieces based upon Davie Bowie songs, They are the low Symphony, and the Heroes Symphony.

Akhnaton and Einstein on the Beach are two of the three Operas he has written with Robert Wilson, all three are about a historical figure, and are REALLY wierd shows.
Professional Expatriate