Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A600 - upgrade/modernise??  (Read 884 times)

Description:

Offline chicken drumstickTopic starter

• Show only replies by chicken drumstick
A600 - upgrade/modernise??
« on: August 22, 2023, 12:29:15 PM »
Hi, not sure where I should post this on the forum.

Long time Amiga fan here. All my mates had A500's back in the school days and I got an Amiga A600 for Christmas, would think it was Christmas '92 or maybe '93. Can't remember now. I still use it occasionally and it is sat under the TV in my office right now, although looking a bit UV yellowed now.

I've messed about with Emulators such as WinUAE in the past, built an Amiberry with a Raspberry Pi that I gave to my brother. Didn't get on with FS-UAE so much on my Mac, just doesn't seem very intuitive or easy to use and have no Windows machines to use WinUAE these days. Also got an A500 Mini, which in reality does almost everything. But it is still nice to use original hardware.

I'd like to upgrade my A600, I believe you can do things with the PCMCIA slot to run internal storage, but I'm not entirely sure what I need to buy or do? Is there a guide anywhere?

Also what are the best ways to connect to a modern LED TV? I know a classic CRT monitor would probably be best, but I don't have one, nor anywhere to keep one these days. Are there any upscalers or anything similar or a way to use HDMI?

Offline RobertB

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by RobertB
    • http://www.dickestel.com/fcug.htm
Re: A600 - upgrade/modernise??
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2023, 10:40:50 PM »
I'd like to upgrade my A600, I believe you can do things with the PCMCIA slot to run internal storage, but I'm not entirely sure what I need to buy or do?
First, you should upgrade your RAM... both Chip RAM and Fast RAM. For the Chip RAM, I use the expansion RAM adapter from AmigaKit.com  For Fast RAM, I use the expansion RAM adapter from Ami64.com  For more reliability and slightly better loading/saving speed, you should add/convert your mechanical IDE drive to CompactFlash with an IDE-to-CF adapter.  Oh, if you still have OS 2.0/KS 2.0 on your computer, you should go for a more modern OS 3.*/KS 3.* set.
Also what are the best ways to connect to a modern LED TV? I know a classic CRT monitor would probably be best, but I don't have one, nor anywhere to keep one these days.
I use Dell multiscan 15 KHz. monitors connected via RGB-to-VGA adapters/cables.
Are there any upscalers or anything similar or a way to use HDMI?
That would usually require a Raspberry Pi to give you HDMI and the use of a RGB-to-HDMI adapter.

If you are more willing to spend more (and maybe hack a bit), there are the accelerators, like the A630, PiStorm, and Apollo Manticore.

Truly,
Robert Bernardo
Fresno Commodore User Group - http://www.dickestel.com/fcug.htm
Southern California Commodore & Amiga Network - http://www.portcommodore.com/sccan