Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What? No kvetching about the new header?  (Read 7133 times)

Description:

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show all replies
Re: What? No kvetching about the new header?
« on: May 27, 2009, 09:23:20 PM »
Quote from: Wayne;456562
I'm amazed that you guys aren't up in arms over the new header logo.

Too much Xanax in the kool aid?  :)

Wayne

If you insist, I can write a bitcher bot :lol:
int p; // A

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2009, 10:21:38 PM »
Quote from: terminator4;456605
The new A.org takes longer to load on than the older version on 060.  ...

- this was posted on my A2000/060.

There's your whole problem, right there. What you need is a cheap and cheerful 200 quid PC just for web browsing. Even a machine of that price range has orders of magnitude more processing and image rasterizing power than the machine you are using. It'll run a modern browser quite happily.
int p; // A

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2009, 10:34:21 PM »
I believe, with the few improvements this site can look back the same way as the old one even on Amiga.

If you mean Ibrowse/Aweb then one of those "improvements" is to remove all CSS based styles and replace with deprecated HTML formatting attributes. That is simply not going to happen. Why should Wayne or anybody else spend hours hacking away at perfectly good code to produce perfectly bad HTML that was deprecated ages ago? Nobody has written anything that produces that kind of HTML in years now. The web has left that kind of arcane nonsense well behind.
int p; // A

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2009, 10:36:41 PM »
Quote from: terminator4;456614
@Karlos
I do have a cheap peecee.   But I do enjoy surfing the net on my Amiga and my Amiga is cheerful.
Besides, have you viewed this site on Amiga?  It's not like a lot of things are missing, just some improvements there and there and it will look as decent as the old site?  I also have had "layout" display issue on my peecee, but perhaps thats due to fact I refuse to update my Mozilla firefox.  I did send a screenshot of that to wayne though.  anyway if you're asking for feedback im sending it and willing to send / test things.

Actually, I have tried, but not since the first tests.

Why not muck around with VNC or RDesktop or something like that? You could then get your fullscreened firefox in a window on your workbench. Best of both worlds?
int p; // A

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2009, 10:54:28 PM »
Quote from: terminator4;456622
@Karlos
How about Firefox 1.0.4 having display issues? (I can email the screenshot)  During the first tests things seem to display fine.  Upgradign the browser means upgrading the entire linux distro, and i don't have the time for that.

I hate to say it, but Fx 1.x is completely obsolete now. There's no official support for it anywhere. After all, 3.5 is almost out. Unless you are running a server and your boxes uptime is critical to you, I'd suggest you just install an entirely new version of the OS. I wouldn't even bother upgrading, just back up your /home directory someplace and make sure your new user gets the same user id as your existing one (or just chown the lot of it afterwards). If Fx 1 is the default version for your distro, it must be pretty old by now,

Complaining that a site doesn't render properly in Fx 1.x when the majority of users are on 3.x is like complaining an application for your amiga doesn't work as well under Kickstart 1.2 as it does on 3.9.
int p; // A

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2009, 10:55:55 PM »
@Wayne

Masterstroke - how about rendering the "Serving the amiga community..." tagline in topaz (with a slight scanline effect) :D
int p; // A

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show all replies
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2009, 11:04:27 PM »
Quote from: GadgetMaster;456630
You know what will happen then don't you? :confused:

Topaz bitchin' Groundhog day.

But they have their Garamond AMIGA logo, so it's the perfect compromise, right? Or if topaz is too 1337, perhaps a xen style fixed-width (think MUI) font?
int p; // A

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show all replies
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2009, 11:19:08 PM »
Quote from: Wayne;456634
Don't know where that started, but Garamond, at least the Garamond I have loaded, is a completely different font.  The Font which created the Amiga logo (Commodore's text logo) was Bodoni.

Wayne

I think it's the closest font I remember having to the Bodoni one, especially at the time I was using my amiga for any kind of DTP stuff.
int p; // A