Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New project for the benefit of all classic computing!  (Read 22249 times)

Description:

Offline NovaCoder

Re: New project for the benefit of all classic computing!
« on: November 12, 2012, 12:54:36 AM »
2Gb is fine, I'm currently getting by on 32mb.

As I've said before, a 100Mhz 060 with modern fast memory (eg 2GB of it) coupled with 060 compiled software/OS will make things more interesting in Amiga classic land.
Life begins at 100 MIPS!

Nice Ports on AmiNet!

Offline NovaCoder

Re: New project for the benefit of all classic computing!
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2012, 01:08:33 AM »
Quote from: Thorham;714878
I've always asked myself the question: Why? Add a graphics card and a sound card, and you've got a PC with a 680x0 CPU. Not cool :(

Keep it Amiga, guys :)

That is an interesting subject.

Take a 'virgin' A1200, ok it's a nice retro computer but you can't really do much with it so you and some FASTRAM then a faster CPU, CF hard drive and an Indivision AGA with a chunky graphcis mode etc etc.

How far do you take it before it's no longer a retro classic Amiga?

Mediators fall in this category for me, stick a 1200 into a tower and add PCI video/sound cards and it becomes a slow PC that can't run PC software.

Personally, I'm happy that my 1200 is a classic as long as it is still in the original case, uses a 68k CPU (even if it's FPGA based) and can natively run classic software.

PPC cards for classics are also a waste of time because (apart from the lack of software) that much power is pointless when tied to the original chipset.
Life begins at 100 MIPS!

Nice Ports on AmiNet!