Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: MorphOS for Sam460  (Read 29066 times)

Description:

Offline Matt_H

Re: MorphOS for Sam460
« on: December 01, 2012, 06:16:03 PM »
A practice that we've always has with Amigas is to run things on them that weren't originally envisioned - Bridgeboards, Mac emulators, NetBSD, Linux, etc. That tradition continues now that we have our second NG Amiga capable of running all of our modern flavors (I believe Pegasos was the first). Nice work, everyone!

Offline Matt_H

Re: MorphOS for Sam460
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 03:45:18 AM »
Quote from: Karlos;717182
One rig to run them all, one rig to find them,
One rig to bring them all and in the hobby bind them.

Very nicely put!

Quote from: haywirepc;717169
"Acube's primary market is embedded customer and that is what those boards are designed for."

People keep saying that, but its just not true. No way embedded customers are using these boards. There are hundreds of embedded solutions that are a tenth (or less) of the cost of these boards, and even at a tenth of the
price those other embedded boards have modern specs, not 10 year old specs.

Maybe they were originally designed with that purpose in mind but there is no way embedded customers are buying up these boards or providing acube with any significant customer base. These boards are just WAY under powered, WAY outdated, and WAY overpriced boards for amigaOS - and now AROS PPC,  and MORPHOS.

Well I guess all those people who complain about used hardware can shut up now, if you really want brand new hardware for morphOS there it is.

Me? I'd rather buy a good condition powermac g4 for a tenth of the price.

I just don't see how ACube could be staying in business on the Amiga alone. They've got to have industrial customers behind the scenes making use of the features and ports not used - and sometimes not even present - on the "consumer" versions of the boards (i.e., the ones we see).

Who knows, 20 years from now maybe some municipal lighting system will be overhauled and we'll see SAMs unearthed from within the old control stations. :)