Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A3000 won't boot. Troubleshooting suggestions?  (Read 890 times)

Description:

A3000 won't boot. Troubleshooting suggestions?
« on: December 12, 2002, 11:34:47 AM »
I inherited an A3000 a few years ago, but it stayed in storage because it was broken (and my A2500 worked fine).  I recently pulled it out of storage.  I discovered the clock battery had corroded and the battery tine to hold it in place broke as I pried the thing out.  This seems like a simple fix.  However, the big problem is that the computer turns on and sits there.  No hard drive activity.  No floppy activity.  Any suggestions as to how to track down what might be wrong with it?  Let's just start with simple explanations and get complex from there.  I haven't tinkered around the insides of an Amiga in four years, I'm afraid...  Thanks.

D

Offline whabang

• Show only replies by whabang
Re: A3000 won't boot. Troubleshooting suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2002, 11:46:27 AM »
Did the battery acid damage the mobo?
Beating the dead horse since 2002.

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2002, 12:04:37 PM »
Not sure.  How would you suggest I find out?  No video, no hard drive, just a fan whirring...

The battery acid leakage didn't seem too wide spread, but I can check that out again...

D

Offline whabang

• Show only replies by whabang
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2002, 12:06:19 PM »
I suppse that the easiest way would be to check the area aound the battery thoroughly to see if any of the track has been damaged.
Beating the dead horse since 2002.

Offline JimS

• Show only replies by JimS
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2002, 03:24:04 PM »
I inherited one of those also. With the same leaky battery. I never was able to figure it out. One thing though, the guy who gave it to me left it in storage while wintering in warmer climes. When he got back, the thing would fail. He figured that the battery discharged so much that when the computer was finally powered on, the charging current for the battery was too much for the blocking diodes and fried them. You might look at those.  Naturally, clean the area around the battery with isopropyl alcohol and look for damaged traces.
Obsolescence is futile. You will be emulated. - Amigus of Borg