Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga.Org users encouraged to help debate  (Read 4496 times)

Description:

Offline Agafaster

• Show only replies by Agafaster
Re: Amiga.Org users encouraged to help debate
« Reply #29 from previous page: March 03, 2006, 10:40:09 AM »
Now, imagine the same question but with a car and ask does the car move? Or just as much fun, does the road move?

err - how do you think rolling roads work ? those things uised by the automotive industry for measuring such things as power output, and the accuracy of speedometers ?

although I will concede the nitpick that rolling roads are just passive rollers, and not conveyer belts...
\\"New Bruce here will be teaching Machiavelli, Bentham, Locke, Hobbes, Sutcliffe, Bradman, Lindwall, Miller, Hassett and Benaud.\\"
\\"Those are all cricketers, Bruce !\\"
A1XE G3/800MHz Radeon 7000 512MB
A1200 030/25MHz 8MB

Offline jkirk

• Show only replies by jkirk
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2006, 12:49:47 PM »
this is for those that still think the plane won't take off
(reposted from a-world)

ok let's rephrase the question in terms of a car.

1 the non-powered front wheels are on the conveyor
2 the powered rear wheels are straddling the conveyer(not on the conveyer)
3 the conveyer is moving the same speed as the car

will the car reach the end of the conveyor or will the conveyor hold it in place? :-)
The only stupid question is a question not asked.  

Win•dows: n. A thirty-two bit extension and graphical shell to a sixteen-bit patch to an eight-bit operating system originally coded for a four-bit microprocessor which was written by a two-bit company that can\'t stand one bit of competition.

Offline PMC

• Show only replies by PMC
    • http://www.b3ta.com
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2006, 01:09:40 PM »
The powered rear wheels are not on the conveyer, but the unpowered fronts are.  They are unpowered, thus unable to rotate, therefore the conveyer is also stationary.

Because the powered rear wheels are straddling the conveyer (but not in contact with it), then they will either be supported on axle stands and thus the car will remain stationary, or if they are in contact with any kind of surface then friction would propel the car forward (provided that the rear wheels were fed power).
Cecilia for President

Offline jkirk

• Show only replies by jkirk
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2006, 05:22:42 PM »
The only stupid question is a question not asked.  

Win•dows: n. A thirty-two bit extension and graphical shell to a sixteen-bit patch to an eight-bit operating system originally coded for a four-bit microprocessor which was written by a two-bit company that can\'t stand one bit of competition.

Offline FluffyMcDeath

• Show only replies by FluffyMcDeath
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2006, 05:51:48 PM »

Agafaster wrote:
Now, imagine the same question but with a car and ask does the car move? Or just as much fun, does the road move?

err - how do you think rolling roads work ? those things uised by the automotive industry for measuring such things as power output, and the accuracy of speedometers ?

If a rolling road is moving fast enough to counter 100% of the cars speed, how fast is the car going?
Take that speed and tell me the opposite of it.
The opposite of that speed is the speed of the conveyer.
Is the speed of the conveyer just calculated sufficient to nullify the wheelspeed of the car?

Offline Hyperspeed

• Show only replies by Hyperspeed
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2006, 05:33:47 AM »
So what if the plane was a James Bond style car-plane powered solely through the wheels?

:-D

And how does a helicopter do a loop-the-loop if its sole thrust is downwards and momentum is achieved diagonally?

Maybe it's better to wave your hands about instead of using your boffin equations...

;-)

Offline JaXanim

• Show only replies by JaXanim
    • http://www.intuitionbase.com/waveguide/home.html
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2006, 12:52:31 PM »
@Hyperspeed

If the driven wheels are on the conveyor, James Bond couldn't take off using wheel power alone (see my previous post).

Looping a helicopter depends on lots of things, including the design/stiffness of the rotor blades. Some 'copters can be looped, but others can't and would chop off the tail if it was tried.

Just Google for references on flying loops in helicopters.

Cheers,

JaX
Be inspired! It\\\'s back!

Offline Hyperspeed

« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2006, 01:17:38 PM »
Here's something that puzzles me:

Is it only aerodynamic objects that heat up on re-entry to the Earth's atmosphere?

Surely a flat surface moving downwards with gravity would be subject to terminal velocity?

Why do Soyuz capsules get hot, surely the speed of air hitting them would slow them down, you don't see parachutists in flames...

... or does it all have to do with the electrically charged ionosphere?

Offline JaXanim

« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2006, 02:52:22 PM »
@Hyperspace

Any object entering the Earth's atmosphere from orbit or from anywhere else in space experiences frictional heating. This depends largely on the approach speed and shape of the object. There are other factors, but these are the main ones. The thin outer atmosphere provides enough friction to evaporate a dust particle travelling at 50 Km/sec, hence we see shooting stars. Objects presenting a large face to the atmosphere will heat up quickly, but they will also be slowed down quickly (hence the shape and composition of re-entry heat sheilds). An aerodynamically efficient shape (like a bullet for example) would not heat so quickly (other factors apart). But it would certainly heat up (like Concorde's nose cone).

If the plunging object has enough substance/mass to not burn up completely, it will eventually be slowed down by the denser lower atmosphere and it might reach terminal velocity before landing on the Earth. Hence we get meteorites.

We don't experience hot parachutes because the velocity is too small to generate enough frictional heating, but it does happen. The surface of the chute will get warmer by maybe a few thousandths of a degree, as do the soles of man/woman's shoes, but not enough to notice. Anyone free-falling from say 250,000 feet will eventually reach terminal velocity but will also feel pretty warm (mainly from the adrenalin I suspect!)

JaX

Offline Hyperspeed

« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2006, 03:08:13 PM »
Well I was going to mention this...

Not so long ago I went to some news article on the BBC website about a man that wanted to jump out of something like a balloon that was on the edge of space.

I remember it seemed very much like that game MDK...

Offline odin

• Colonization had Galleons
    • Show only replies by odin
« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2006, 03:16:24 PM »
I remember seeing a docu about NASA or some other US agency doing just that to test astronaut suits for the space program.

Offline JaXanim

« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2006, 03:56:45 PM »
@odin

A couple of weeks ago, they released an old space suit from the International Space Station to see how long unheated batteries would work in orbit (I'd have thought NASA would know that already...?). The suit was supposed to stay in orbit while transmitting radio signals that anyone with a short wave radio could pick up. They published all the beep sequences so listeners could tell how it was getting along.

Anyway, the batteries packed up almost as soon as the 'SuitSat' was released. So, a bit of a damp squib all round. Anyway, the fully inflated suit is probably still out there, slowly losing altitude through weak atmospheric drag. It too will eventually fall with enough velocity to incinerate.

[EDIT] Here's NASA's  take on it. Russian idea apparently.

[EDIT] Apparently, the batteries did last an orbit or two. HERE'S someone's recordings! Well, whatever turns you on I suppose.

@Hyperspeed, is this what you're hearing...?

JaX

Offline Hyperspeed

« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2006, 04:26:56 PM »
by JaXanim:
@Hyperspeed, is this what you're hearing...?

No, I think it must be the spirit world calling me into the light...