Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Here is my x5000  (Read 4381 times)

Description:

Offline Iggy

• Show all replies
Re: Here is my x5000
« on: July 20, 2017, 05:50:25 PM »
Quote from: JJ;828424
So going to bite.  Everybody seems to spend all this money and then just run emulators and ports of old games.

What does it give you ,  say over my 27inch 5k iMac ? which probably cost less

Edit:  Not trying to sound like a troll, I am genuinely curious

Hmm, from the iMac's specs, I'd say less cores, and it will run PPC software without an emulator.
Other than that, they are both high priced machines that appeal to a select audience.

What I'm not sure of is what your iMac has to offer over my low end Ryzen based system with a similar video card and a freesync monitor, except a much higher cost (and that all-in-one, but its very hard to upgrade, packaging).

Now if either system beat your children for you (like a Welshman :hammer:), then maybe they'd be worth the money. And that IS a troll comment (but just for fun).
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline Iggy

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2017, 09:09:56 PM »
Quote from: cpaek72;828449
If you look at the x5000 as a general computer for everyday use then it's going to lose to every option you put against it....

Not necessarily when you compare it to a legacy Amiga. An AmigaOne is a much more practical daily use computer.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

Offline Iggy

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2017, 09:23:32 PM »
Quote from: soviet;828461
My dual powermac g5 2.5 ghz running morphos make the x5000 eat dirt and cost me 50 usd

Got you beat on that one.
My Dual 2.7 GHz G5 cost my $20 for shipping and the seller let me have it for $10 because no one bid against me (it happens on eBay some times).

BUT, the X5000 can run better video cards than either of our systems.
AND it will run OS4 (along with MorphOS, when that port is done).

Offline Iggy

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2017, 07:37:04 PM »
Quote from: blakespot;828507
... re: MorhpOS on Macs, many disagree I am aware, but there seems to be something said for supporting the core "Amiga" OS vs. derivatives. More support, more potential for future developments, less fracturing. But, of course, just my opinion.

bp

Yep, its just your opinion.
I have no problem supporting any OS I use, and might at one point adopt OS4, but I'm really glad there are alternatives.

And if an alternative OS like MorphOS or Linux sells some X5000 systems, is that somehow bad for the community?

Offline Iggy

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2017, 04:19:10 PM »
Quote from: icbrkr;828547
I ordered mine on the 5th of July, and am still waiting from AmigaOnTheLake.  Hopefully this week it'll ship if I'm lucky?

So to answer.. why would any one want to spend that much money since you can buy a G5 for a few bucks?  No real reason.  I like playing with hardware.  I have a MorphOS box.  I have a 4000T.  I have most Amigas that came out.  It seems like something fun to play with, plus I sold a bunch of junk in my attic to afford it - that's a win win.  I clean up my crap, and I get an Amiga for it :)

Good answer!
I have a 2.7 GHz dual core AGP G5, a 2.5 GHz quad core PCIe G5, and a 1.42 GHz G4 FW800, and a 1.42 GHz iBook  (though only three of those will run MorphOS, and none will run OS4...yet).
And I have legacy hardware too.
But I also plan on buying an X5000. The real problem for me isn't the decision to buy, its whether or not I'll have the patience to wait for the X5000/40, or just buy an X5000/20 in order to start using the platform.

Offline Iggy

• Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2017, 02:06:25 PM »
Quote from: kolla;830093
And you are an infamous PowerPC fetishist :laughing:

Hey! Don't lump him in with the rest of us that support PPCs.
He posts on MorphZone as well, and his posts there are rejected as much as they are here.

They aren't just biased, they are frequently inaccurate.

Quote from: ribdevil1;830096
Yes, emulation it's great. And in X5000, too.

Here my X5000 with Os3.9, Playstation and NES.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1654403711258849&set=gm.10154926524519157&type=3&theater

Your reference is not accessible.