Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Anubis, Icaros, and XAmiga...  (Read 8454 times)

Description:

Offline persia

• Show all replies
Re: Anubis, Icaros, and XAmiga...
« on: March 28, 2009, 04:32:59 PM »
Icaros and XAmiga actually exist.  Anubis AKA Arix does not...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline persia

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2009, 07:02:50 PM »
Shouldn't you actually have something written before you port it?  There is absolutely nothing in the downloads on the Arix source forge page.  Although I must admit it's far easier to port vapour.

Gotta love it though that the firmware has a name - Aura...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline persia

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2009, 06:30:03 PM »
Also the Arix/Anubis folks want to change Linux file structure.  OS X left the BSD file structure  intact, BSD programs run in the normal BSD locations and OS X applications run in the OS X locations.  For example the config files for Apache are in /etc/httd or /etc/apache2, but itunes support is in /Library.  

The Arix folks want to make one file system that supports both teir Amiga-like GUI and the Linux subsystem, what this means is that they have to change Linux fundamentals, which mean that they can't just grab the latest Kernel and expect it to work, and applications like Apache need to be rewritten to work.

It seems like they are creating a whole lot of work that is unnecessary.  Given that they have only 15 people on their list and only show the expertise of three, they wouldn't seem to have the expertise and manpower necessary to accomplish their stated task of an Amiga Like gui let alone produce their own Linux distro to build upon.

I'd forgotten about Matt's DragonFly BSD, hows that coming?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline persia

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2009, 01:33:20 AM »
I only read what I see, have you been to the Arix page?   The fifteen is off that page.  Personally I have coded in Obj-C, I have also been involved in OS development.  I've also watch dozens of OSs try and fail.  You have a massive project, you have limited resources.  I am simply being a realist.  

I don't think that Arix/Anubis threatens AROS, but obviously you have issues with AROS...

dammy wrote:
It seems like they are creating a whole lot of work that is unnecessary. Given that they have only 15 people on their list and only show the expertise of three, they wouldn't seem to have the expertise and manpower necessary to accomplish their stated task of an Amiga Like gui let alone produce their own Linux distro to build upon.

Could you also predict next weeks Lotto numbers for us as well?  I'm not really sure why your so negative at this point about the project, unless our concern about your beloved charity OS being threatened by an Open Source OS like Anibus-OS of course.  I guess it may be frightening to think that a OEM is supporting Anubis-OS with consumer level hardware, but such is life.

Dammy
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline persia

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2009, 08:00:50 PM »
And free beer, don't forget free beer!

dammy wrote:
I don't agree here. The target audiences are somewhat different: MorphOS is PPC, Anubis x86. MorphOS runs amiga apps directly, Anubis doesn't.

Your forgetting ARM for Anubis-OS and probably PPC (SAM and EFIKA I) as well.

Dammy
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline persia

• Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2009, 09:26:19 PM »
So what's on the plate?  Is it fully catered?  

This whole Arix thing is like nailing jelly to the wall, everything is bluster, big talk, give us an OS that we can play with, the Source Forge page downloads section is empty...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline persia

• Show all replies
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2009, 08:30:53 PM »
Who do the Anubis people (hmm sounds like a '50s sci fi film) hate Amiga users so much?  Clearly there's a lot of bad blood.  Anubis/Arix is an odd man out, if it's built it will not be an Amiga and it will be a Linux, but a Linux that is incompatible with all other Linuxes.  Great.  Maybe it should be called PlatypOS...

In they end I suppose they're all charity OSs, AmigaDOs, AROS, MOS, Anubis, but as they say on Sesame Street, one of these thing is not like the other...  Anubis belongs in the "Alternative Operating Systems" discussion.  They need a charity OS over there too!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline persia

• Show all replies
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2009, 12:24:17 AM »
OS X is certified Unix, the complete linux file system is there and things are [pretty much where you'd expect to find them.  On top of this are one of two layers, Carbon, legacy code form Mac OS 9, which will disappear someday or Cocao, the NeXT Framework that is the basis of both the Mac and iPhone.  

On top of that is the MacOS itself.  When you look at the file system through the finder the Unix file system is hidden (although it's simple to unhide it).  Mac provides the wonderful XCode tools to allow for development in Cocoa.

It's funny, some days I find myself buried in a BASH shell, using Vi or Emacs and pretty much not even thinking about the fact that I'm on a Mac.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline persia

• Show all replies
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2009, 11:20:51 PM »
Yeah, they said the same thing about Amiga OS 5 too!!!!

Quote from: paolone;522311
Funny. I can read today, about Anubis, the same rants I could read many years ago about AROS...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline persia

• Show all replies
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2010, 05:39:50 PM »
I fail to see the problem with Linux file structure, everything is in it's place.

/boot -> kernel and any other bootable files
/root -> The user, "root", home directory
/bin -> System binary executables runnable by root and normal users
/sbin -> System binary executables runnable only by root
/lib -> System shared library files
/var -> Logs, runtime process locks
/etc -> System configuration
/tmp -> Temporary files
/usr -> Userland files (non-system)
/usr/home -> Users' homes
/usr/lib /usr/bin /usr/sbin -> Same as previous except non-system
/usr/local -> Userland files specific to the local installation
/usr/local/lib /usr/local/bin /usr/local/ec -> Same as previous except for locally installed applications
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]