Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Thats it! It is time to get a Wii ----- C=64 games Come to Wii !!!!  (Read 2616 times)

Description:

Offline leirbag28Topic starter

Re: Thats it! It is time to get a Wii ----- C=64 games Come to Wii !!!!
« Reply #44 from previous page: February 22, 2008, 06:29:30 PM »
@foleyjo

In defense of skurk, Im sure he is thinking what I am thinking.........that the C=64 experience will just be better on the Wii compared to Computers and other consoles.............

Wanna know why?   Because of the Fact that it is official, the execution of the games will be more seemless and FEEL official. Less of a headache to load if you will.

THese are things that can't be easily explained, but we know what we mean and what we are saying.

Alot of Emulators have clumsy interfaces that make the experience horrible.

Perfect example

the DIRECTOR, MEDIAPOINT, POWERPOINT, IMAGEVISION  and other Multimedia Applications may have many features that beat SCALA MM400's features of the Amigas....But I gaurantee you not one of thm is fun or as fun to use as SCALA...........simply because of the way SCALA is executed.  Its like a natural interface. The others are just wacked out and annoying, and those things alone turn me off to the applications.

Its the same with EMULATORS, most of them were thought up in an annoying way.....especially Amiga versions of these emulators.

When a Product is official, it seems more effort is put into them, and since Wii is a console, execution has to be as smooth as possible.   But Most C=64 emulators for most machines out there were created by hackers, who are just content to get the thing running and dont care much about interface.

THis is Soooooo impportant. Presentation is everything.

I hope you get what I am saying.

I believe C=64 games will be more fun on the Wii indeed.
CD32 is actually the best Amiga ever made by Commodore!...

Offline skurk

• Show only replies by skurk
« Reply #45 on: February 22, 2008, 06:45:33 PM »

foleyjo wrote:
So you didnt answer my question and you didnt really understand.

I know I said I'm done discussing this, but I guess one final post can't make it any worse.

All you can do is enjoy the games that they allow you to play.

And?  Your point being?  So now you're not just mocking C64 on Wii, you're actually attacking the entire Virtual Console concept!  Keep in mind that the only games from NES, SNES, N64 and whatnot are games seleted by Nintendo.  I guess you find that just as outrageous as well?  Because if it isn't, then what the hell is the difference?

Theres thousands of games for the C64 and so far you can play most of them on PS3 PS2 Amiga GP2X Dreamcast and XBox through your TV with a joystick. and Keyboard(GP2x not inc.)

Of course I am aware there are thousands of games available for the C64.  I have tons of them already.  But why do you assume that I will ONLY play games on the Wii, despite the fact that I own a REAL C64, REAL C128 and run emulators on almost every platform I own?  Stop drawing your own conclusions based on ridicilous assumptions.  I feel you're treating me like an idiot, and I sure as hell don't appriciate it.

I have no problem with what you spend your money on I just have a problem with you telling me the Wii is the best way to get the C64 experience and dont deny you said it.  :lol:

I said that *I* will probably get the best feeling playing C64 games on Wii.  But I don't know that for sure yet, but I'm really looking forward to it.

If you don't believe me, see this post - and I quote: "I said the Wii has got the FEELING, which the desktop computer emulators (for example VICE, just to pick one) don't have. In my opinion. You are free to feel different."

...and...

this post, where I said "Playing Super Mario Bros on the Wii gives me that "console feeling" I've been looking for..."

I don't know what you've been smoking, but you should stop it.  It doesn't seem too good for you.

I'm through discussing this.  I don't have to defend myself for my "console preferences".  I'm not replying to a single more post in this thread.

And since you only seem to skim through my posts, I'll make it easy for you by repeating it once more, this time highlighted:

[size=20]I'm not replying to a single more post in this thread.[/size]

Damn it.
Code 6502 asm or... DIE!!

[C64, C128, A500, A600, A1200, A3000, MBP+Mini, Efika/MOS2.1, Sam440 w/AOS4.1

Offline Speelgoedmannetje

• Show only replies by Speelgoedmannetje
« Reply #46 on: February 22, 2008, 07:05:34 PM »

leirbag28 wrote:
@foleyjo

In defense of skurk, Im sure he is thinking what I am thinking.........that the C=64 experience will just be better on the Wii compared to Computers and other consoles.............

Wanna know why?   Because of the Fact that it is official, the execution of the games will be more seemless and FEEL official. Less of a headache to load if you will.

THese are things that can't be easily explained, but we know what we mean and what we are saying.

Alot of Emulators have clumsy interfaces that make the experience horrible.

Perfect example

the DIRECTOR, MEDIAPOINT, POWERPOINT, IMAGEVISION  and other Multimedia Applications may have many features that beat SCALA MM400's features of the Amigas....But I gaurantee you not one of thm is fun or as fun to use as SCALA...........simply because of the way SCALA is executed.  Its like a natural interface. The others are just wacked out and annoying, and those things alone turn me off to the applications.

Its the same with EMULATORS, most of them were thought up in an annoying way.....especially Amiga versions of these emulators.

When a Product is official, it seems more effort is put into them, and since Wii is a console, execution has to be as smooth as possible.   But Most C=64 emulators for most machines out there were created by hackers, who are just content to get the thing running and dont care much about interface.

THis is Soooooo impportant. Presentation is everything.

I hope you get what I am saying.

I believe C=64 games will be more fun on the Wii indeed.
Gotta agree there :-)
But emulators on the pc can be perfect considering the interface. Like MAME. Preconfigured, with screenshots, it works like a treat. You even can use a joystick with it. Though it can be more nice, like, fullscreen, and less options at the fingertip (options should be seperated in another program).
What I want to say is that you won't need a gameconsole to get that feeling. Just user friendly (or patient, since every game needs to be configured) programmers :-)
And the canary said: \'chirp\'

Offline foleyjo

• Show only replies by foleyjo
« Reply #47 on: February 22, 2008, 08:49:37 PM »

skurk wrote:

I said that *I* will probably get the best feeling playing C64 games on Wii.  But I don't know that for sure yet, but I'm really looking forward to it.

" I have a C64 which is a computer which uses keyboard and joystick but will probably get the best feeling playing C64 games on Wii a console without a Keyboard".

You will get the best feeling playing the games on your real C64. Get a Wii for Wii games man.

Oh and yes I am attacking the Virtual Console scene as its an attempt by Nintendo and Microsoft to cash in on the emulation scene. Why should they make loads of money out of something that bedroom coders have been doing for years for free (or donations)

Offline foleyjo

• Show only replies by foleyjo
« Reply #48 on: February 22, 2008, 09:01:35 PM »

leirbag28 wrote:
@foleyjo

When a Product is official, it seems more effort is put into them,

C'mon we all know thats not always true :lol: Thats why we have Patches!!

I think your being unfair to bedroom coders. I can name quite a few on the Gp2X scene who put a lot of effort into the emulators and then theres people who add to the frontend to make them look really good.

As for loading the games you just load an emulator and select the game and off you go.

c64 games on the Wii will be fun if you have a Wii. C64 games more fun on the Wii I dont believe. You need the keyboard and joystick. You need to type LOAD"*",8

The best C64 emulator is on the C128 :lol: .

Offline Hammer

• Show only replies by Hammer
« Reply #49 on: February 22, 2008, 09:31:38 PM »

lou_dias wrote:

alexh wrote:

AJCopland wrote:
the Wii is at least as powerful as the XBOX - minus the programmable shaders but with a much more powerful fixed function pipeline. Gives it a teeny bit of an edge in terms of throughput compared to the XBOX plus the cpus a lil' quicker.

All not true. The main 730MHz PowerPC CPU is (according the games coders) less powerful than the 733MHz Celeron in the XBOX1 (at least at the API level) and the GPU has lower throughput. Add the lack of HD support (XBOX-1 will happily do 720p and at a push 1080i) and the Wii is not a true 7th gen console.

LOL!  The GC's 487.5MHz cpu had more cache than that Celeron/P3 hybrid and executed more instructions per clock cycle and had faster memory access with less latency.  

G3 (front-end) issues instructions at a rate of 3 instructions per cycle. Gekko can support 64bit (2x32bit) SIMD instruction issue. Gekko's SIMD is closer to AMD's 64bit (2X 32bit) 3DNow non-Pro instruction set.

Pentium III (front-end) issues instructions at a rate of 3 instructions per cycle. Pentium III can support 128bit (4x32bit) SIMD instruction issue.  

Also the GC's Star Wars: Rogue Squadron 3 - Rebel Assault from Factor 5 put out 20,000,000 polygons in real time and the best Xbox game did 18,000,000 polygons.  The only thing that held the GC back was RAM(24MB of 1T-SRAM and 16MB of SDRAM + 3MB EFB).  Now the Wii's gpu is internally 3x faster than the GC's and the cpu is 1.5x faster than the GC's.  Also the Wii has 2 separate banks of memory(64MB of GDDR2 and 24MB of 1T-SRAM, this 24MB is on the gpu die) that can be accessed by the cpu and gpu for a total of 88MB, in addition the GC/Wii gpu has 3+MB of EFB+texture cache akin the the 360's 10MB.  The Xbox only had 64MB shared for everything.

Due to CISC nature, the X86 has instruction compression during bus transfers.

So the Wii outperforms the original Xbox any way you slice it.  Most developers aren't familiar with fixed-function T&L operations.  The GC's cpu can apply 8 texture operations on 4 pipelines in a single pass.  The Wii has 8 pipelines (2x GC's).  In traditional gpu's the texture has to be sent through again to apply another operation, not on the Wii/GC..and most developers didn't take advantage of this feature.  That's why you only see PS2-level graphics from most developers.

Also, the Wii has an ARM core in it's Hollywood packaging which mostly handles encryption and de/compression but probably other things too(such as downclocking the main cpu to GC levels and controlling memory access).

Finally, now that the Wii has been fully hacked for homebrew, you will see it's full potential soon enough...

Microsoft published "max" throughput numbers.  Per my redline, my car can do 210Mph, however in the real world it stuggles to get over 140mph, please don't believe the hype...  Just look at Sony and MS's spec reports from E3 of 2005 for the PS3 and 360...a joke.  Non of those are in-game, real world numbers.

Nintedo announce the GC could do 12,000,000 mip-mapped texture polygons in realtime, meanwhile Sony says the PS2 could peak at 70,000,000 and MS claimed 120 to 130 million...  Meanwhile Factor 5 pumps out 20,000,000 realtime textured polygons, the PS2 capped at 10-12 million and the Xbox at 18 million.  These #'s are based on actual games, not theoretical performance capabilities.

XBOX games usually comes with programmable vertex and pixel shader effects i.e. enough computation power to run Doom 3 and Farcry.

PowerPC "Gekko" CPU uses 64bit (2X 32bit )SIMD. Pentium III has 64bit (2X32bit integer) MMX SIMD(on X87 registers) and 128bit (4X 32bit integer/FP) SSE1 SIMD(on XMM registers).
Amiga 1200 PiStorm32-Emu68-RPI 4B 4GB.
Ryzen 9 7900X, DDR5-6000 64 GB, RTX 4080 16 GB PC.

Offline Hammer

« Reply #50 on: February 22, 2008, 09:45:45 PM »
So the Wii outperforms the original Xbox any way you slice it. Most developers aren't familiar with fixed-function T&L operations.

Emm, DirectX 7 has fixed-function T&L operations.

The GC's cpu can apply 8 texture operations on 4 pipelines in a single pass. The Wii has 8 pipelines (2x GC's). In traditional gpu's the texture has to be sent through again to apply another operation, not on the Wii/GC..and most developers didn't take advantage of this feature

It slows down the GPU for other things.

Offline Hammer

« Reply #51 on: February 22, 2008, 10:29:45 PM »
@skurk

And how much more Proper it feels to play a Game on a TV rather than on a VGA chunky flat lifeless screen

My laptop PC can connect to a display unit that supports HDMI, Composite Video/S-Video and VGA.

Atleast http://www.commodoregaming.com has a PC with a Commodore label and still run Microsoft OS(1).

1. CBM’s C64 runs Microsoft OS i.e. MS Basic. Most modern PCs runs Microsoft OS i.e. MS Windows. From the very beginning, CBM is basically a Microsoft OEM PC vendor.