Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A-EON FAQ Part 1 & Part 2  (Read 8476 times)

Description:

Offline kurkosdr

• Show all replies
Re: A-EON FAQ Part 1 & Part 2
« on: March 19, 2010, 05:46:39 PM »
Quote from: Crom00;548271
Wow we got a bunch of haters up in here...

I second than emotion. Reminds me of those die hard alfa romeo owners who despise everything that modern alfa romeo does and only care about their old classic. Much like Amiga fans, they should consider themselves lucky that somebody is even interested in their niche market, in this age of globalization and all.

Regarding the X1000, now that the Hyperion vs A-Inc troubles are over (or at least, settled), I really hope the X1000 will form a niche in the HTPC area.
All we need is a TV card (btw, are there any tv cards and capture software for the amigaos?) and a DVD player (btw, any good media players for amigaos?), a port of Media Portal to amigaos, and we are set.

No need for expensive "instant on" partitions and other messy solutions, as Amiga is snappy enough in booting. Also, no need to used the flawed WDM API of windows 7.

As I said, all we need is a media player and a TV card, and we are set.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 05:49:42 PM by kurkosdr »

Offline kurkosdr

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 07:16:15 PM »
Quote from: Piru;548535
You still need to write the driver. It doesn't really matter if it's PCI, PCI-E or USB.

Unfortunately, this is the kind of retarded marketing that may put Amiga's future into jeopardy again.

A marketing plan that would work: AmigaOS is already limited to specific hardware, so there is no need for broad peripheral support, so all we need is one card. So why not just partner with a TV card manufacturer and have them make a card and a driver?
Then, all that is needed is a media player, a media portal clone, and you 've got something good to sell. And better sell those boxes cheap. I am not saying that it's guaranteed to fly, but there is a chance. If AMD managed to save themselves by selling a 64 bit CPU with next to no 64 bit software in the market, then there hope for AmigaOS too.

What is Hyperion's plan? They say they are in for the long run, but seriously, what is their plan? Selling AmigaOS with overpriced PPC motherboards to Amiga enthusiasts? They tried this thing with Eyetech and Pegassos, and both times it didn't work. They need to bring new people in and not just rely on the loyals. Otherwise, they will go bankrupt too, and I doubt anyone will buy AmigaOS this time.

I am so confused by them that I may even forward a link to this thread to them and ask them for a reply. I may even hire a programmer to do the driver and build the machine myself and sell it, but I am not good at selling. Hope some big company will.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 07:21:43 PM by kurkosdr »

Offline kurkosdr

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2010, 11:54:56 PM »
Quote from: AmigaHeretic;548564
Yeah, 93 days till summer and their website still says it will be available before Summer for less than the A1000 cost http://www.a-eon.com/6.html

"you won't have to wait until summer, and it should be a little cheaper!"

The fact I have to turn my car's semi-working aircondition on clearly indicates there are 0 days left till summer.
What we got from a-eon? 2 photos.

Anyway, it's a sunny (albeit hot) day outside, so let's cut them some slack. They might be running a bit late.

The really funny thing is that they still claim in their site they will have this out before summer... I expected the summer reference to have been gone by now, or (dare I say) even replaced with a final date...
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 02:41:00 PM by kurkosdr »

Offline kurkosdr

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2010, 02:48:06 PM »
Since we are at it, are there any chances this machine will revive the interest for AmigaOS? Now, in order to get an Amiga, you have to buy the board and hook everything together by yourself. This has turned off a lot of people, i think.

I am puzzled by the fact that there are so many great OSes out there like Haiku and AmigaOS for home computer usage, yet most users are stuck with the CP/M Fileloader (Windows) and the AT&T line printer manager (Unix/Linux).

Most of the software people use today is open source stuff (VLC/Mozilla/MediaPortal/TSmuxer) so I am really surprised the authors tolerate with X-windows and Window's uber secret API, yet they won't even bother to port for Haiku and AmigaOS to raise interest. So sad...
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 02:55:04 PM by kurkosdr »

Offline kurkosdr

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2010, 03:33:04 PM »
Quote from: Piru;564686
Ha ha

Hahahahaha.:roflmao:
Care to explain why? Everyone who tried Haiku loved it, except when it came to playing games...
AmigaOS is tougher to like. Less sophisticated, less cute and I wish I could have a word with the dork who decided to go for the PPC platform instead of the PC (or not port it to the PC latter). Porting to the PC would allow them to sell it as a software package, but nooo, we have to sell it along with overpriced PPC mobos.

However, I think Haiku is ready for the glory. Nothing not to like (if you think there is something, please post).

Support, support, support, be it hardware, software, technical, or warranty. Try bringing an OS4 system to your local Best Buy/Staples for troubleshooting or repair. Now that's "stuck." It's fun stuff if you know what you're doing, but most people just want something that does what they need it to do and leaves them alone. Computing isn't a novelty anymore, it's a necessity.
So true. However, I am a man of hope. If Firefox managed to make a dent to Internet Explorer, in a market were it controlled 90+% of the market and everything was built for it, then why not something couldn't possibly overtake Windows?

Offline kurkosdr

• Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2010, 02:47:18 PM »
Does anyone here still believe A-eon will deliver the X1000 in 10 days from now?

But don't worry. After "summer 2010" and "late 2010", there is always "early 2011". :)