Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Win98 forum?  (Read 2659 times)

Description:

Offline melott

• Show only replies by melott
Re: Win98 forum?
« Reply #14 from previous page: November 06, 2003, 03:15:19 PM »
Why not start a 'WINDOWS' forum here on
Amiga.Org under alternatve OS's.  That way
those of us that need help would get it and not
be posting off-topic.
I don't think it would be 'Heresy' since Most of
us have a PC and could use the help.

Stealth ONE  8-)

Offline sir_inferno

• Show only replies by sir_inferno
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2003, 09:17:10 PM »
heh heh good point.

but when she=the lady=sue said a text file, did she=the lady=sue mean a .inf file :-) that when you double click opens in notpad, but really contains all the divers you ever need  :-D

Offline SHADES

• Show only replies by SHADES
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2003, 09:40:41 PM »
@ Sue
Ahh yes, the dreaded Microflop strikes again.
Packard Bell, Hewlette Packard / Compaq, IBM, and yep even Gateway all use Vendor specific builds of Winblowz.

They are not standard PCs. Youu will need the "Recovery Disc" for your model of PC .

It should be able to be ordered from the manufacturers web site if you no longer have it.
It's a real pain in the @rse.  You can also pull the bugger appart and find out what model chipsret is on the motherboard. It may be covered in a heatsink with heat compund paste that will need removal and replacement if removed. If it says Intel xxxxxx then searc on google for that chipset and download appropriate drivers. can be up to the 25Meg mark on d/l so use a fast connection.

That's it! because they like to be completly non-standard, we all suffer.  It would most likely be a built onto motherboard graphics system slow, crap and cheap to make. they cut costs on every corner.

I will NEVER buy a brand name PC EVER!. They are so bad. In your future if you do decide to get a new IBM compatible PC, go buy a no name or build yourself. Get a good motherboard like Asus, MSI or Gigabyte that you can replce the cards on like a new graphics card etc. Stay away from the DELs and Hewlette Packards.

The PC world is so bad. It's not your fault, it's all theirs.

Good luck :)
It's not the question, that is the problem, it is the problem, that is the question.

Offline adz

• Knight of the Sock
    • Show only replies by adz
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2003, 12:16:36 AM »
@all

I find that www.computing.net is a great place for help with PC related problems. There are a whole bunch of rather cluey regulars that are always willing to help.

Offline Sue

• Show only replies by Sue
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2003, 01:30:06 AM »
@ all

Yay! Mikeymike and Shades you were spot on, chipset drivers did the trick (a week ago I didn't even know chipsets existed).  I now have my colours back, still a few problems but will persist.  Found my problem on computing.net, (definitely the best place I've found), and it clicked what you guys were on about.
Thanks again and I'm sure I'll be back when I'm stuck or meet one of you on holiday!

Offline ple3003

• Show only replies by ple3003
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2003, 04:51:00 AM »
@all
I find that www.computing.net is a great place for help with PC related problems. There are a whole bunch of rather cluey regulars that are always willing to help.

I agree. Computing.net is the best site i've ever come across, when it comes to dealing with windows / linux.
bap bap bap bapbaaa

Offline Plus4

• Show only replies by Plus4
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2003, 01:55:15 PM »
Mike,

I'm interested - what do you mean my advocacy central and as bad as the worst newsgroups?  I'm new to the net so please make you explanation as 'John and Jane' as you can!
Humans were invented by water so it could get up hills

Offline mikeymike

• Show only replies by mikeymike
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2003, 02:05:31 PM »
Tomshardware forums - particularly graphics cards - you ask a question about a particular product, you'll end up getting 40% replies about how anything product is the best since sliced bread, another 40% how that other product isn't the best but you should go for some other which is $300 more expensive, another 5% based on a sub-argument between those two, and maybe, if you're very lucky, the other 5% might content slightly, but not very useful responses.

Offline The_Editor

• Show only replies by The_Editor
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2003, 02:43:28 PM »
Drivers.com   for driver issues ...  Be warned ..Scan for hardware drivers .. Drivers means ... All sorts of drivers .. cars, trucks,  computers etc !!

also ... Motherboard forums

Hope thats of help to peeps.
The Reluctant Pom