Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Windows 7 to get ‘instant on’ mode?  (Read 2892 times)

Description:

Offline persiaTopic starter

• Show only replies by persia
Windows 7 to get ‘instant on’ mode?
« on: October 17, 2008, 03:48:58 PM »
Windows 7 to get ‘instant on’ mode?

David Flynn17 October 2008, 9:25 PM (4 hours 18 minutes ago.)
Microsoft is considering giving Windows users near-instant access to Web browsing, VoIP, video IM chat and multimedia playback without waiting for the entire OS to load.

The significance of the number in Windows 7’s name could take on a whole new meaning.

What if you could stab the power button on your desktop or laptop and within seven seconds be able to browse the Web, use online video chat, make VoIP calls, listen to music or watch a movie? How about being able to check your calendar, look up a phone number in your address book or even run an Office app?

Those are some of the options Microsoft is putting on the table for a new ‘Instant On’ mode. Detailed in an online survey and revealed by Engadget, Instant On is Microsoft’s response to the growing number of pre-boot environments being adopted by PC builders – environments which are almost always based on Linux.

While these began as ways to play music and DVDs, the latest iterations extend to online activities including email, Skype and gaming. Among the more advanced pre-Windows environments are Splashtop, which Asus has customised as Express Gate and is now loading onto all its motherboards, and Dell’s Latitude ON, which appears in the company’s new Latitude business notebooks and even includes synchronisation with an Exchange server.

“Instant On takes your computer from being completely powered down to being usable for a few specific activities in a very short amount of time” cites the survey. “The Instant On experience is different from ‘Full Windows’ because it limits what activities you can do and what applications you have access to.”

“In the ‘Instant On’ scenario, your computer would be usable in eight seconds” the survey explains, but continues that “you would not have full access to Windows or all of your applications.”.

However, ‘Access to Office applications’ is listed among the possible Instant On activities that survey respondents are asked to rate. Others include email, “video chat through an instant messaging application” and “Voice over IP through an application like Skype”.

By baking Instant On mode into the Windows OS itself, Microsoft would make it harder for PC makers to justify the additional cost and resource of implementing a stand-alone fast-boot system.

Most fast-boot systems currently work by loading the pre-boot OS from a dedicated slab of flash memory fitted to the motherboard. Dell’s Latitude ON involves an entire system-on-chip (SoC) module containing its own low-power ARM processor and additional flash memory for storage, so that it runs independently of the notebook’s hard drive or main processor. This dramatically extends a laptop’s battery life when the instant-on OS is used for tasks normally handled by Windows.

Fortunately, Microsoft already has a head start for Instant On in the shape of Windows PE. This is a pared-down version of Windows built around the same kernel and originally used during Windows installation – hence its formal name of Windows Preinstallation Environment.

However, WinPE can also be used to load a useful pre-Windows operating environment – Dell chose WinPE as the foundation for its fast-boot MediaDirect system, which already includes the ability to view PowerPoint presentations and Outlook contacts. One of the advantages of WinPE is that because it has full access to and compatibility with Windows OS drivers it can be configured to use any part of the host PC and connected hardware.

Microsoft would be required to set a new hardware platform for Instant On systems, bake the subset, which could position the Instant On environment in a hard disk partition for low cost or a standalone flash memory chip for speedier access and in the case on notebooks, extended battery life.

APC

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline Matt_H

Re: Windows 7 to get `instant on
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2008, 03:54:27 PM »
Or they could just improve the efficiency of the damn thing so that it actually boots in 8 seconds, like another certain operating system we know...

Talk about mixed up priorities. With the power of today's PC hardware, they should be ashamed of themselves that the OS is just as slow as ever, if not slower.

Offline Fester

• Show only replies by Fester
    • http://www.rdmsnippets.com
Re: Windows 7 to get ‘instant on’ mode?
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2008, 04:21:43 PM »
They should call it "Sort of On". :-) But it's a nice feature anyway.

Offline jlmjr1957

• Show only replies by jlmjr1957
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2008, 04:35:10 PM »
My TI 99-4/A would boot into a game or app in about 1/2 second after turning it on.

Of course it could take a while to load from a disk it you needed something that had been saved. Or even worse, trying to get something off of a cassette tape.

I wonder why they can't have the basics of the OS load from a rom or flash card. That way you can log in to the system and get started while waiting for non-essential stuff to load.

-JM

Offline adolescent

• Show only replies by adolescent
Re: Windows 7 to get `instant on
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2008, 05:40:12 PM »

Matt_H wrote:
Talk about mixed up priorities. With the power of today's PC hardware, they should be ashamed of themselves that the OS is just as slow as ever, if not slower.

Why is booting the OS a benchmark for the speed of the OS?  XP and Vista cold boot in <30 seconds.  Not really huge amounts of time.  With stand-by and hibernation it's much quicker.
Time to move on.  Bye Amiga.org.  :(

Offline Piru

• \' union select name,pwd--
    • Show only replies by Piru
    • http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2008, 05:57:25 PM »
Or just use S3 suspend rather than powering off. The computer will resume instantly when you push the power button.

Offline Nostalgiac

• Show only replies by Nostalgiac
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2008, 07:03:00 PM »
It's not always the OS which is slow/fast in booting.
Considering my own Core2Duo box:
- normal BIOS boot with detection of disks (nop, can't switch detection off)
- IDE chip bios boot (no detection as I hardset the dvd drive as only device)
- extra sata raid chip bios boot for esata connector, obviously with drive detect...

long story short: the multiple bios boots take slightly more time then the then following windows hibernate wakeup.
Let's say 60% of the time is needed for the hardware to come up.. and 40% for hibernated windows to get up.

Tom UK
2000/2060/128mb/2320/2gb/C64-3D/Hydra-Aminet on OS 3.9

c128/1541/1750/1351 with Dolphin Dos and eprom burner

Offline weirdami

• Show only replies by weirdami
    • Http://Bindingpolymer.com
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2008, 07:17:03 PM »
That way you can log in to the system and get started while waiting for non-essential stuff to load.

You mean like how IE pretends to be the fastest loading browser by throwing up a useless window right after you click the icon?
----
Binding Polymer: Keeping you together since 1892.

Offline spihunter

• Show only replies by spihunter
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2008, 07:28:41 PM »
My Commodore 64 boots in 1 second.  Ta da! :-o

Offline Painkiller

• Show only replies by Painkiller
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2008, 07:29:27 PM »

Piru wrote:
Or just use S3 suspend rather than powering off. The computer will resume instantly when you push the power button.

If only it would work properly... I find my self often trying set my computer to stand by mode multiple times before it actually goes to one. Usually windows just say that it is getting ready for suspend mode and right after "everything" shutsdown it powers it self right back up  :madashell: Freaking annoying.

Offline cicero790

• Show only replies by cicero790
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2008, 09:02:35 PM »
I'm no expert on the inner workings of windows but a newly installed Vista boots and shuts down pretty fast. Then you install the essentials and soon the happiness ends.
Why oh why is it allowed for programs to preload. I rather wait for a big program to load than wait for preloading of programs that perhaps is not used that day. Even if the startup is set not to load it does not seem to matter. Somebody may know the mysterious MS thinking behind this. It eludes me.

And as said earlier in this thread, regardless of cpu power the damn OS still manages to drag it down to snail speed. This is partly why i have such big hopes for AROS. I'm about to test the new AROS 0.9.1. It's closing in on the big 1.0. I saw at the AROS EXEC that somebody have been able to get the amosaic2 working. Don't know the consequenses of this. An early first step towards internet.?? I monitoring the development of that.

Sorry for the long post.
A1200 030 40MHz: 2/32MB Indivision AGA MkII
A600 7 MHz: 2MB
AROS 600 MHz
PC 13600 MHz: quad core i7 2600K 3.4GHz: 16GB RAM: ATI HD6950 2GB   (Yes I know)

WINUAE AmiKit ClassicWB AmigaSYS UAE4Droid  

Offline weirdami

• Show only replies by weirdami
    • Http://Bindingpolymer.com
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2008, 02:36:49 AM »
there should be an instant off mode
----
Binding Polymer: Keeping you together since 1892.

Offline neofree

• Show only replies by neofree
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2008, 02:53:34 AM »
There is an instant off mode.  Pull the plug! Or hold the power button for 10 seconds...hahahaha

With journaled filesystems (both Windows and Mac have had this for awhile now) (if you've ever wondered why chkdsk only runs on *some* power failures) we could probably almost go back to the old way of turning things off at random.. Maybe with some perfection.. You'd still want to save things first, but that has never been any different.

Thanks,

Neofree

Offline the_leander

• Show only replies by the_leander
    • http://www.extropia.co.uk/theleander/
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2008, 05:52:21 PM »

neofree wrote:
There is an instant off mode.  Pull the plug! Or hold the power button for 10 seconds...hahahaha

With journaled filesystems (both Windows and Mac have had this for awhile now)

NTFS is not, nor has ever been journaled, which is why even today Vista requires ocational defragmentation.

The supposed WinFS that was to be a fully journaled filesystem, never materialised. In fact, WinFS was actually promissed back when XP was being prepped... So it's not a new idea either.

neofree wrote:
(if you've ever wondered why chkdsk only runs on *some* power failures) we could probably almost go back to the old way of turning things off at random.. Maybe with some perfection.. You'd still want to save things first, but that has never been any different.

Vista by default schedules defragmentation for once a week. I never saw chkdsk run in Win2000 whenever it went down, but that does not make NTFS as seen in all of the later NT based windows releases any more a Journaled filesystem then the Amiga's FFS.

Sorry to bring up an old thread like this, but I hate seeing disinformation.
Blessed Be,
Alan Fisher - the_leander

[SIGPIC]http://www.extropia.co.uk/theleander/[/SIGPIC]

Offline darksun9210

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2008, 06:04:16 PM »
yeah agreed on the s3 suspend..... my laptop will only sit in suspend or standby for about 30 to 45 minutes before it'll wake up all by itself. even with the screen still shut. almost like its gone, "oh darn, i havn't reported back to microsoft for at least half an hour. lets fire up and do it anyway"
bit of a bugger when its in its foam lined case in the back of the car for an hour or two, and decides to fully power on. got a mite bit toasty! :-o (till it ran out of battery) :lol:
 till i realised and now fully power off. but since going from 32bit to 64bit, startup and shutdown are pretty rapid. more than is explicable with just an OS bit depth change..

there was this "instant on" thing intel were toting around a while back. basicly all it did was mute the speakers and switch the screen off. the machine was will running at full pelt. people were confused by the "do not remove power even when switched off", and the fact the fans and drives were still spinning...

A500 Vampire2/minimegachip/lazarus/indyECS
A600 Vampire2/604n/subway/IndyECS
A1200 PiStorm32+Pi4/subway/IndyAGA
A3k C=040/CV64-3D/Xsurf100+RRoadUSB/Zoram256/acard scsi-ide-CF/IndyECS,
A4k CSMk3-060/CV64-3D/Xsurf100+RRoadUSB/Bigram256/IndyAGA, mediator+pci cards
CD32 TF360/IndyAGA
Plus an SGI O2 & consoles.