Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Please, i need help with my strange Amiga 1200  (Read 999 times)

Description:

Please, i need help with my strange Amiga 1200
« on: February 21, 2003, 02:04:43 AM »
Hello to all!

I was surfin in the web looking for one solution for my problem:

I buy a Amiga 1200, this is a PAL/NTSC with 220-240 power supply version.

Because i live in america (Mexico) i buy a power converter, so i can power up my computer whitout any problem.

I try to use my amiga with a Composite Monitor, but all display is in B&W, i suppose because the amiga startup in pal mode, so i switch the mode in the boot menu (pressing the two buttons on power up and selecting ntsc, and then, boot) but always start up in B&W.

Then i try plug in to my Tv using the rf modulator output connector of the amiga, switching again between pal/ntsc serveral times, B&W again. Even connecting the compostie output to the composite input in my tv, changing again and again between pal and ntsc, and nothing.

I am desesperately.

I buy a tv card for my computer wich have pal and ntsc tv receptor, i connect the rf output of my amiga and... b&w... i connect the composite output and... b&w... nothing works!

I was think the problem is the software, so i buy in ebay several games (pal, ntsc, and pal/ntsc) y put in in my amiga, and... b&w display again.

I wrote this email to you for aid, i am really desesperately because i am new in amiga computers.

I will appreciate much your help.

Greetings

Offline Xand

• Show only replies by Xand
Re: Please, i need help with my strange Amiga 1200
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2003, 02:18:02 AM »
Check your private mail.
SunBlade 1000 2x1200mhz UltraSparc III+, 8GB RAM, XVR1000, 73GB and 300GB FC drives, DVD, SunPCi IIIpro - 1GB RAM (yes it does work when I set the clock back to 2009), Solaris 10.

Ultra60 2x450MHz UltraSPARC II, 2GB RAM, 9GB U160 and 36GB U320 drives, CDROM

A1200T, 603e-240mhz/040-50mhz SCSI, 256mb, MediatorSX, Voodoo3-3000, Soundblaster 128, 10/100 Ethernet, other stuff OS3.9

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2003, 02:23:39 AM »
@kkdlavak

There's a long boring explanation, why your screen is B&W. I could give it to you, but I don't think you want to hear it, unless you understand some basic electronics and TV-system technology.

My advise to you... Use the RGB output from the sub-d connector instead. The quality is MUCH better than any composite outputs. But I need to know something about your TV/monitor. Has the TV/monitor got a SCART connector(21-pins) on the backside?

A TV with a SCART connector could also be used, and you will be AMAZE about the quality your TV is capable off when displaying an Amiga display. Give me some information about your setup and the connectors, and I will give some advice how connect the Amiga.

!8O)

/SpaceMan

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2003, 02:40:13 AM »
Hi SpaceMan!

My tv have the next inputs:
- Composite / Stereo - RCA jacks
- Normal Coaxial input
- S-Video (4 pin minidin) input

And, i have the next monitors:
- Composite monitor (RCA jack)

- Vga monitor (30 to 70 khz horizontal)

Tv Card with the next connectors:
- Coaxial
- Composite
- S-Video.

Thanks for you reply!

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2003, 02:45:13 AM »
I found this site:

http://www.cix.co.uk/~fdc/html/amspares.htm

Talking about the color encoder repair, of Amiga 1200 showing b&w displays.

I send mail to he, but the page was made in 1997! (the email was returned).

Anyone know about this repair/mod?

Thanks!

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2003, 03:21:35 AM »
@kkdlavak

I sorry to hear that your TV doesn't have a SCART connector. I was afraid of this, because the SCART isn't used very often in the US/NTSC/60Hz type TV's. The SCART connector is standard on every(nearly) PAL european TV's, and it's a great standard that enables many types of TV signals to be used(PAL/NTSC/SECAM/RGB/YC/Composite....).

But the problem you're facing is the difference in  NTSC/PAL colour systems. The colours on a NTSC TV is modulated at 3.58Mhz and PAL at 4.43Mhz. Your TV needs to be "multistandard" to avoid this annoying diffence in the TV standards. But your TV is not I'm afraid. This difference in the colour systems, makes it impossible to get the correct colours on your setup... Sorry!

But you can solve the problem by getting a TV with a SCART connector, and you'll never have problems with the colours again! Or use a 1084 type "TV-monitor" that also will display the colours correctly all the time.

If you decide to get a SCART TV, I will make a cable for you, as these types of cables can't be bought from shops anymore!
 You can also buy a TV-standard converter, but they are very expensive when you need good quality. And even when you get a "high quality converter", the end-result isn't very good.

There might be a small possibility, that the A1200 composite output can be modified internally on the amiga circuit board. But I'll have to look into the schematics to find out, and you need to use a soldering iron to do it. :-o Bad idea ???

I will make a RGB-SCART cable for you, if you decide for the SCART TV solution.... My only fee will be Salma Hayek's phone number ;-)

!8O)

/SpaceMan

Offline JimS

• Show only replies by JimS
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2003, 06:02:23 AM »
Another solution would be to use an external RGB to composite encoder like the A520 interface... not the best answer by a longshot.  Maybe an external deinterlacer would be saner.
Obsolescence is futile. You will be emulated. - Amigus of Borg

Offline Indoro

• Show only replies by Indoro
    • http://www.merlancia.com
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2003, 07:33:48 AM »
You can't change the composite or RF modulation outputs by switching PAl/NTSC modes on the custom chipset. The AA chipset allows the RGB modes to switch between PAL or NTSC, but not the composite or RF out.

You can change the A1200 over, but it requires modifications to the logic board and an NTSC RF modulator. US120 power supplies are also hard to come by these days, though at least you did find a solution to that problem.

Hope this helps.

//RC//

P.S. Directed at anyone that complains about the price of USA/NTSC A1200s, anywhere:

This is exactly why NTSC A1200s cost so much more then PAL A1200s. You can buy a PAL system, then have everythign changed over, pay a couple hundred in parts and labour, plus a power supply adapter or a new north american power supply, or you can spend the same total for a NTSC system in the first place.