Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: MorphOS2.4 Efika install problems  (Read 15840 times)

Description:

Offline Ruud

• Show only replies by Ruud
Re: MorphOS2.4 Efika install problems
« Reply #59 from previous page: October 25, 2009, 12:25:49 AM »
Quote from: save2600;527197

So... no dock? I remember reading somewhere somebody didn't get the license to use that? Apple has dibs on the concept I guess? Maybe I can install the Dock from OS3.9 disk  :-)   Just found this 'Panel' thing though... seems like that'll be good enough - LOL!

The Panel's work pretty well but I use PolyNet NG myself. Available from http://polymere.free.fr/index_en.html.  It is very configurable.
"We live, we die, we laugh, we cry"

Offline save2600Topic starter

• Show only replies by save2600
« Reply #60 on: October 26, 2009, 02:45:04 AM »
Quote from: Acill;527069
Better yet, sell the Efika and pick up a mac mini!!!

I'm actually considering doing just that if the .key would be good for the Mac Mini version?

Offline Ruud

• Show only replies by Ruud
« Reply #61 on: October 26, 2009, 01:57:28 PM »
Quote from: save2600;527316
I'm actually considering doing just that if the .key would be good for the Mac Mini version?

The key is tied to your individual machine.  The MorphOS team will only transfer it in the case of hardware failure.
"We live, we die, we laugh, we cry"

« Reply #62 on: October 26, 2009, 03:10:07 PM »
Quote from: Ruud;527357
The key is tied to your individual machine.  The MorphOS team will only transfer it in the case of hardware failure.

Gotcha, thanks. So far, I'm having a blast with this little machine. Learning what AmigaOS files I can copy into the empty Sys: drawers right now without screwing things up. lol  Still, mostly using MorphOS native programs at the moment because I haven't quite got the hang of using Amiga stuff just yet, although I suspect I might have to modify some assigns. Still kind of confusing; this seemingly transparent and integrated MorphOS over AmigaOS thing.

Offline recidivist

• Show only replies by recidivist
« Reply #63 on: November 02, 2009, 07:36:19 PM »
I wonder if you  physically trashed the efika or other "obsolete" board ,they would let you transfer the key?
It would seem fair in that if you have paid  for the license to run one instance of the software.
Or send them the old board?
Sacrificing  an  efika (still available new for $99)  would be  less expensive than spending $225 for another license!

Recidivist now  standing back to see what opening THIS can of worms attracts....

Offline zylesea

• Show only replies by zylesea
    • http://www.via-altera.de
« Reply #64 on: November 02, 2009, 08:17:45 PM »
Quote from: save2600;527188
And sometimes, you have to let the damn thing sit for 15 or so minutes before she'll start back up again.

My Efika showed (show?) this kind of behaviour. I never figured out what exactly lead to refusing to boot. Was quite annoying. I guess it was a thermal issue (it is the Efika with an integrated tft and quite more, so there was some heat dissipation, read my experiece here: http://via.i-networx.de/eframe/eframe.htm ). But recently I dd a lot of changes including a new (pico) psu and a new entire housing. Since then the device works rock solid (uptimes of days). Only downside is that the audio output still is not acceptable (I hear every gfx and hdd operation in the audo output). But I fear there is something defective in the analoge filter of my Efika. I tinkered a lot around with it, so I wouldn't be too surprised about a little damage.

Offline bbond007

• Show only replies by bbond007
« Reply #65 on: November 08, 2009, 02:54:28 AM »
Quote from: Kronos;527217
ARexx-Filegrabber for OWB  ??

May it be that I again missed something ?

The only thing I know is tubexx, a semi-standalone script for YouTube which can be found on Aminet.
Note, you will need a full ARexx-installation for it (requires files from AmigaOS-disk) and a few other things (the script will tell you what is missing). Intregrating it OWB ? Should be possible, never tried.

I have getvideo for OWB which allows you to snag videos off of youtube, myspace, etc... never cold get tubexx working due to "codesets.library".

Frank, sorry you had so many problems with the efika! I had no idea the battery was failing.

As far as booting the installer image, I found that the firmware is extremely picky about the USB stick. Some smaller cheaper 4gb sticks(Ultra - Tiger Direct brand)  I had simply would act like they are loading the firmware but would fail, but finally I tried a 16gb cosair survivor and it was more reliable. You could tell it was working better as the "\", "-". "/" cursor moved faster as smoother.

Sorry I was not of more help, but I went on that little (2 week) vacation in Hawaii as your HD was arriving.

Anyway, glad it sounds like you are finally up and running!

-nate

Offline bbond007

• Show only replies by bbond007
« Reply #66 on: November 08, 2009, 03:10:35 AM »
Quote from: zylesea;528209
Only downside is that the audio output still is not acceptable (I hear every gfx and hdd operation in the audo output). But I fear there is something defective in the analoge filter of my Efika. I tinkered a lot around with it, so I wouldn't be too surprised about a little damage.

Did you try the digital output? I found that there was less bus noise vrom the video however the audio still had occasional popping and such (in mplayer mostly) due to the fact that the efika only supports a fixed 48KHZ audio audio rate.

« Reply #67 on: November 08, 2009, 06:53:55 PM »
Quote from: bbond007;528787
Anyway, glad it sounds like you are finally up and running!

-nate

No biggy Nate! Got a lot of help here in the meantime and just now made space for the little system. Desk that used to have my A2500 on looks a lot neater and tidier :-) (A2500 in game room now)

@zylesea: I do not hear the garbage out of the audio like you do, but there is a "funkiness" going on with the audio section for sure. Sounds really distorted or noisy with certain sounds. No wonder they included a optical out  ;-)
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 01:14:59 AM by save2600 »