Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: OMG Commodore Invented WIndows 8 on the C64  (Read 4878 times)

Description:

Offline Argo

• Show all replies
Re: OMG Commodore Invented WIndows 8 on the C64
« on: April 28, 2013, 05:59:28 AM »
Prior Art!!!

I've read that the the Start button that is rumored to be in Windows 8.1 will be just a hotlink to the Start screen. Not really helping. The Start button could be so much better, I think if they made it context based. Only shortcuts to most used apps or/and user customizable. The OS would also be better off with a user select able tablet mode, desktop mode, and hybrid mode.   Not every one has a touch screen, especially now.

Offline Argo

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2013, 06:26:03 AM »
Problem is Microsoft assumed that most would upgrade their computer thus getting Windows 8. Reality is the economy sucks, slow growth. So, people are keeping with computers longer, maybe upgrading it. If they do buy, it'll be better spec'd than what they have but low end. So none of those wiz bang features you mentioned. Basically, an upgraded version of what they had that runs Windows 8. Though likely not much of an upgrade save for graphics as required by Metro. Hell, I ran the alpha and betas on a 10+ year old computer and it ran as well as 7 and XP on that machine. Vista, that was a pig and it really showed on that machine.

Offline Argo

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2013, 07:03:14 AM »
Quote from: gertsy;733149
The recent apps start menu capability has been in place since Vista (2006).

For me, if Windows 8 had a Start button that was just that it would be prefect. The Charm bar has the rest. In Windows 7, you can kinda get that through the properties but you still end up with empty space on the right.

Offline Argo

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2013, 07:13:03 AM »
Quote from: djos;733152
I used to build my own well equipped machines too, didnt make them last any longer.

Works for me. Current rig is 7 years old. Upgraded the RAM and CPU a few years ago. Will be doing a big rebuild this August to take advantage of back to school sales. Cheaper than buying a new pre-made brandname rig that needs to be replace about every three years and better than a bargain cheapo rig that works for just now.