Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Games for A1 / AOS4  (Read 3914 times)

Description:

Offline PMC

• Show all replies
    • http://www.b3ta.com
Re: Games for A1 / AOS4
« on: June 03, 2003, 09:22:57 PM »
In order to make itself stand out against the competition - and like it or not there is competition as Amiga must appeal to new users outside the existing community - there must be something new.

You didn't see X-Box, PS2 or Gamecube all launch with a game catalogue that was already old hat on other platforms.  Amiga needs such a headline grabbing title.  It must be addictive, gorgeous to look at and polished in order to win over a cynical gaming audience.  Back in 1990 I bought my A500 after seeing stuff like Xenon II, Shadow of the Beast and Falcon.  There is no point in re-releasing stuff that I can buy for a PC at £9.99 in the bargain bin at Electronics Boutique.  

If you want my suggestion for a headline grabbing game then see my contribution to the "Ultimate Strategy Game" thread.

With OS4.0 and a comparatively limited amount of supported hardware, the Amiga has the potential to be a reasonably decent games platform.  After all, hopefully there will be no fannying around with too many third party drivers and/or processor configurations.  
Cecilia for President

Offline PMC

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2003, 11:53:18 PM »
"Please, no more doom givers here".

Sorry, hadn't intended to rain on the parade.  My dream is for Amiga to produce another "must have" title that the gaming community views with envy.  Games now are graphically and sonically much better than ever before, but I really miss the compelling game play element that seems to have been watered down over the years.

Last game I played and played that I couldn't put down?  For all it's faults it has to be Frontier.  Gimme a 24bit colour, hi-fi surround, gameplay enhanced version for the next gen Amiga and you've got me handing over my hard-earned!

Cecilia for President

Offline PMC

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2003, 01:16:00 PM »
My gaming-dream is a Frontier-like multiplayer

Now that's what I've been dreaming about for months!  The concept of an open ended game set in a huge universe isn't new - as seen before in Elite, Frontier, and even Hunter to a certain extent.  However this concept has been neglected in the last few years in preference to eye candy and a relatively restrictive arena.  That is one of the things that bothers me about my PS2, great graphics but the gameplay takes place in a predefined arena.  

The idea of a RPG based Frontier sequel is currently being developed by David Braben; Frontier's original author.  However, I'd personally trade a little character detail for more game depth - ie more ships, races, more inhabited systems and even the interaction between several different governments.  

Now excuse my ignorance here, for my programming knowledge is next to zilch, but the original Elite possessed some trick code to generate the unique star system names (all seven million of them), without clogging up the available resources of a 48k Spectrum.  The star systems, government types, trade prices, location etc were all unique and fixed - i.e. you could come back to the same location each time you played the game.  Couldn't this concept be stretched to allow many different ships/weapons/governments/weather conditions etc?  This way the code isn't too bloated, but the game allows plenty of scope for exploration etc.

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts - and do remember, this is simply an exercise in fantasy so don't be too hard on me!
Cecilia for President

Offline PMC

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2003, 05:49:44 PM »
SLIMJIM

Explorer 2260 is still in development for Linux, which at least means that there is a possibility of an Amiga port.

Frontier certainly did lack character development.  Compared with the original Elite, it was a little soulless, but I don't see why character development shouldn't play a big role - even if it is just some variety to the tactics used by other ships.  Just why do unarmed Falcons always try and take on my Cobra MKIII in Frontier?  Why do enemies never attack in groups?  The role playing element is a nice idea, as you'd interact with all kinds of characters, both "real" (online gaming) and artificial.  

Someone out there must be up to the challenge!

However came up with the Hunter suggestion gets a pat on the back from me.  I loved palying that game simply because there was a huge world to explore, and lots of vehicles to do it in.  
Cecilia for President

Offline PMC

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2003, 08:28:53 PM »
"We'd better start learning how to program, huh?"

:-)

Couldn't program for buttons, but if anyone out there needs a creative imagination to assist then get in touch!

I can tell you waht I want to see in your games, and you can tell me that it'll be bloody impossible to do!

:-)
Cecilia for President

Offline PMC

• Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2003, 01:13:59 PM »
Yes, not much activity there for now. Let's hope things speed up

Well I did read something from one of the Explorer2260 guys on a post (in reply to me actually) on ann.lu

He explained that the project was alive and well, and certainly didn't discount the possibility of an Amiga port.
Cecilia for President