Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga samba problem  (Read 374 times)

Description:

Offline utri007Topic starter

Amiga samba problem
« on: March 01, 2015, 05:48:23 PM »
Last evening I configured samba my all three networked Amigas.

I was surprisingly easy task with this excellent guide https://sambaforamigaos.wordpress.com/

I configure my NAS and all amigas so that they could see eachothers. Added IP and name to hosts page. Those IPs wich gives error now are NOT configured to hosts page, nor any other page on samba configuration.

I noticed that samba mounter can see my Winodws machines, even they are not configured to samba.

Today it doesn't work anymore. :( All my amigas says that they can't reach some nonsense IPs, when I try to open my NAS/Projects folder.

I have some 10 Computer in same workgroup, but only 4 of them are configured to hosts page of Genesis prefs. Three Amigas and NAS. Are those nonsense IPs my Win machine IPs? Why should Samba care them?
ACube Sam 440ep Flex 800mhz, 1gb ram and 240gb hd and OS4.1FE
A1200 Micronic tower, OS3.9, Apollo 060 66mhz, xPert Merlin, Delfina Lite and Micronic Scandy, 500Gb hd, 66mb ram, DVD-burner and WLAN.
A1200 desktop, OS3.9, Blizzard 060 66mhz, 66mb ram, Ide Fix Express with 160Gb HD and WLAN
A500 OS2.1, GVP+HD8 with 4mb ram, 1mb chip ram and 4gb HD
Commodore CDTV KS3.1, 1mb chip, 4mb fast ram and IDE HD

Offline amiga1260

• Show only replies by amiga1260
Re: Amiga samba problem
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2015, 09:07:29 PM »
Which brand is your NAS?

Most NAS devices uses a Linux based operating System.

You can't use Samba for Linux. Samba is only to connect a non-Windows Computer to a Windows Network.

You ned something like this:

http://aminet.net/package/comm/net/chnfsc102-30b2

Or you could make the NAS as a FTP Server and use a FTP client like this:

http://aminet.net/package/comm/tcp/SimpleFTP

Offline matthey

• Show only replies by matthey
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2015, 09:35:02 PM »
Quote from: utri007;785694
I noticed that samba mounter can see my Winodws machines, even they are not configured to samba.

Today it doesn't work anymore. :( All my amigas says that they can't reach some nonsense IPs, when I try to open my NAS/Projects folder.

The Windows setups I have seen use DHCP to dynamically get their IP address. After this lease time is up, DHCP will request another address which may not be the same as the first time. If the IP address changes, any attempts to use the old address will give errors. The Windows network connection needs to be configured to use a static address (for your side of the router/DSL box only). If you look at the old Amiga configuration and can figure out what the old IP address was for Windows, then you can enter it for the static IP address in Windows and you will be able to access it again. Doing all this is not trivial and varies from one version of Windows to another. It's possible to mess up your working internet config so be sure to record current settings before you change anything.

Quote from: amiga1260;785710
You can't use Samba for Linux. Samba is only to connect a non-Windows Computer to a Windows Network.

Samba was developed on Unix:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samba_%28software%29

My Linux install came with SAMBA already installed in an SMB directory. Unfortunatly, I was not able to get it talking to my Amiga's SMBFS due to the high security and complex configuration (despite being able to see everything).
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 09:43:04 PM by matthey »

Offline utri007Topic starter

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2015, 09:43:20 PM »
You are right, I thought that I have setupped static IP to it. But I still wonder, I used .85 ip to it, and it said that it can't reach .81 ip?

Anyway now it have a static ip, so woun't happen again.
ACube Sam 440ep Flex 800mhz, 1gb ram and 240gb hd and OS4.1FE
A1200 Micronic tower, OS3.9, Apollo 060 66mhz, xPert Merlin, Delfina Lite and Micronic Scandy, 500Gb hd, 66mb ram, DVD-burner and WLAN.
A1200 desktop, OS3.9, Blizzard 060 66mhz, 66mb ram, Ide Fix Express with 160Gb HD and WLAN
A500 OS2.1, GVP+HD8 with 4mb ram, 1mb chip ram and 4gb HD
Commodore CDTV KS3.1, 1mb chip, 4mb fast ram and IDE HD