Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Commodore USA:my side of the story!  (Read 8262 times)

Description:

Offline Master ChiefTopic starter

• Show only replies by Master Chief
Commodore USA:my side of the story!
« on: January 18, 2012, 05:06:24 PM »
Hi, my name is master chief. This is my first post and I would like to tell my side of the C=USA story.So my story begins in the summer of 2010. I grew fond of the C=/Amiga because I find great joy in playing with old software/hardware. I was searching to see if there was any new amiga hardware/software, when I stumbled upon Hyperion ,A-eon ,Acube ,and C=USA.
I read for hours about the companies and I found C=USA to be very interesting, considering they were going to use Aros to make a new amiga workbench. I was also very pleased to hear that somebody was going to try to bring amiga back into the mainstream market; but I slowly grew to dislike them over time. A little later I read that they had actually switched the os they were going to build upon to linux; but I actually found they did nothing to linux but add amiga forever 2012, C= forever 2012, and add a skin to linux which looks like s**t to me. Looking back, I was stupid for liking C=USA and their products. I mean, I liked them so much that I was even going to buy one of there c64x computers. Looking back at that, all they done to the best selling computer in the world was turn it into a pc with a pretty box and add an x onto the legendary c64 name.I would like to talk about there ceo barry altman while I am at it. I went to there forum to post my opinion of C=USA because they encourage people to post there opinions on there forum; but I soon realized that they only wanted the good opinions not the bad ones.  I realize that companies would rather have good opinions of there products, they do not have to be so rude to there possible customers and while I realize this is a C=USA post I would also like to say if someone affiliated with hyperion reads this i support hyperion and it's affiliates to the fullest and I wish hyperion good luck.

Offline J-Golden

• TOP SECRET USER!!!
    • Show only replies by J-Golden
    • http://about.me/J.Golden
Re: Commodore USA:my side of the story!
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 07:12:50 PM »
First off, Welcome to A.ORG!  It's always good to have a new member of the community on board. ;)

Can you tell us more about yourself?  When you first started using the Amiga, how you were introduced, what you mainly use it for...  You know, so people can can get to know you better. :)

Now, your first post, chosen name and AVATAR!

We have had many many arguments and disputes over C=USA on our forums about their past but they seem to be trying to turn over a new leaf.  We are trying to instigate a, "Let bygones be bygones" policy to give them the space they need to prove themselves.

Short story long, lets move on from that past and look towards the future and talk about the things that do excite you about the Amiga community.;)

Avatar and nick-name.  Seriously, really?!?!?!?:roflmao:  I'm a big fan of those games but I don't have the balls to use that for my moniker on ANY Amiga site...:razz:

Good luck with THAT!!! ;)
AMIGA: (NOUN) THE FIRST COMPUTER THAT BRIDGED THE GAP BETWEEN HUMANITY AND TECHNOLOGY.

I'm a dyslectic, phonetic spelling English Major. It's funny 'cause it's TRUE!:roflmao:

WWBD?

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show only replies by Kesa
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 09:33:37 PM »
Yeah we are big fans of CUSA. They are funny when they come on here and try and spam us  :)

I'm with J golden, tell me about your avatar. It looks like something out of Alien Breed.
Even my cat doesn\'t like me.

Offline kedawa

• Show only replies by kedawa
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012, 09:25:18 PM »
You're not the only one around here that's disappointed with what CUSA has done with the brand.
Personally, I'm happy sticking with classic hardware and clones, but if someone really wants to take the brand back into the mainstream, tossing an x86 linux box into a fancy case is not the way to do it.
As for the name and AV, I see no reason why an Amiga user should dislike Bungie or Halo.
Besides, we need a hero!

Offline Master ChiefTopic starter

• Show only replies by Master Chief
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2012, 05:46:59 PM »
Quote from: kedawa;676600
You're not the only one around here that's disappointed with what CUSA has done with the brand.
Personally, I'm happy sticking with classic hardware and clones, but if someone really wants to take the brand back into the mainstream, tossing an x86 linux box into a fancy case is not the way to do it.
As for the name and AV, I see no reason why an Amiga user should dislike Bungie or Halo.
Besides, we need a hero!

Thanks, I'm glad someone agrees.

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2012, 06:06:54 PM »
Quite a few someones, actually.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline vox

• Show only replies by vox
    • http://anticusa.wordpress.com
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2012, 11:31:46 PM »
Quote from: Master Chief;676425
but I soon realized that they only wanted the good opinions not the bad ones.  I realize that companies would rather have good opinions of there products, they do not have to be so rude to there possible customers and while I realize this is a C=USA post I would also like to say if someone affiliated with hyperion reads this i support hyperion and it's affiliates to the fullest and I wish hyperion good luck.

From hope to disappointment once again.
So known ride.

Hyperion can also be blamed for a lot of things, but is becoming better and more professional. Delivering some form of mid-class desktop, high end "workstation" and support of Classic is great. OS 4.2 and beyond are to bring modern features. With introduction of low end but mobile (net top) we can call it a success in despite of Amiga Inc, Terron boards, shrinking market and legal mambo jumbo.

Hope C=USA will do the same one day. Leo gives some hope, but its still Baron in charge. Until then, conquer the universe with Commodore and Amiga brands and yet we are not interest. Bring something of interest once you can and it will be enough, if you find it commercially viable. If we are not potential customer base / commercially viable market is best of "to let go to take off"
Future Acube and MOS supporter, fi di good, nothing fi di unprofessionals. Learn it harder way! http://www.youtube.com/user/rasvoja and https://www.facebook.com/rasvoja

Offline ice2642

• Show only replies by ice2642
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2012, 05:58:49 AM »
For me one machine runing linux with a intel inside not is one amiga.

BR
Amiga SiDi FPGA 2Mb chip 23Mb Fast -  RTG Minimig AOS 3.2

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2012, 02:07:54 PM »
C=USA are just computer bogans, you can't fix 'em.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline number6

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2012, 02:24:37 PM »
@Master Chief

IF the following is implemented, then your experience certainly won't be unique.
Apparently the site is going through a transformation to a company product site only.

Please keep your forum posts to our products, questions, help etc.

I find this a bit unusual, as Bill always used PR to convince people of a connection to the old Commodore and Amiga and what they were used for in the professional world.

Here, we have a case of people posting about such professional use (Babylon5) and a rather disavowing response that this is in any way connected to CUSA products. It's done by indicating that this kind of talk won't be acceptable in the future. *shrug*

To be fair then, everyone who has not been happy with how they are using the "names", should be positively thrilled that talk of any connection to the past Commodore and Amiga is now frowned upon, at least from the example given.

Above link dead. Post deleted.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 07:24:22 PM by number6 »

Offline CritAnime

• Previous Life Time Member
    • Show only replies by CritAnime
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2012, 02:56:48 PM »
This is Barry we are talking about. Only he could set a "independent fancentric" site up then change the rules as he starts getting negative feedback. There has been a lot of backlash at the heavy handed way he has handled some of the questions and queries within the last few months. I suppose this is just his way of trying to bring what he perceives to be order to the site.

His house his rules as he often says. If it keeps the majority of CUSA stuff over there, which in the last few weeks we have seen little to no activity except in the already established threads, then rock on I say.

Offline cgutjahr

• Show only replies by cgutjahr
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2012, 03:07:48 PM »
Quote from: CritAnime;695355
Only he could set a "independent fancentric" site up then change the rules as he starts getting negative feedback.

Seriously, as much as CUSA deserves any bashing they get, let's not try to rewrite history. There's been a lot of censoring, changing rules and other shady stuff on a.org, aw.net, Morphzone or amigans.net in the last decade. For every stupid thing Barry and his minions are doing, I can list five things Mike Bouma did.

The only difference between them and us is that we (well, some of us) woke up earlier. That's not much of an achievement, IMHO.

Offline number6

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2012, 03:08:58 PM »
This is Barry we are talking about. Only he could set a "independent fancentric" site up then change the rules as he starts getting negative feedback. There has been a lot of backlash at the heavy handed way he has handled some of the questions and queries within the last few months. I suppose this is just his way of trying to bring what he perceives to be order to the site.

His house his rules as he often says. If it keeps the majority of CUSA stuff over there, which in the last few weeks we have seen little to no activity except in the already established threads, then rock on I say.

Actually that's part of my point. Once the site becomes limited to just specific topics, then those who wish to abide by the new rules -would not- stay over there.

To me anyway, the notion of a community site like AW/A.org is that the technical discussions take place, but you also keep the interested parties on your site by -having- those other forums available as well.

Hyperion has previously done something similar with their own customer forums, but they already have the established alternative sites of Amigaworld, AmigaOrg, and Amigans for other discussion beyond the scope of a customer site.

So, I ask you...does this serve to keep people on their community site or drive them elsewhere to post outside of the new defined scope?

Offline CritAnime

• Previous Life Time Member
    • Show only replies by CritAnime
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2012, 03:15:56 PM »
Quote from: number6;695358
Actually that's part of my point. Once the site becomes limited to just specific topics, then those who wish to abide by the new rules -would not- stay over there.

To me anyway, the notion of a community site like AW/A.org is that the technical discussions take place, but you also keep the interested parties on your site by -having- those other forums available as well.

Hyperion has previously done something similar with their own customer forums, but they already have the established alternative sites of Amigaworld, AmigaOrg, and Amigans for other discussion beyond the scope of a customer site.

So, I ask you...does this serve to keep people on their community site or drive them elsewhere to post outside of the new defined scope?

I agree with you. I have had not much sleep in the last 48hr so my mind is a little squiffy lol. But what I was aiming at was keeping the CUSA hardware and SW stuff confined to their site and if people want to discuss classics/ng then that brings them over to a.org and aw.net I gues thats what I was trying to say. Sorry No 6

Offline number6

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2012, 03:26:56 PM »

One thing to keep in mind is that @terminills started the community site and it did have a wider scope given Tim's interests as a promoter and supporter of many things.
I see the same change as you do, and agree it is obviously his right to do so and perhaps long term will benefit his plans.
But still...how hard is it to have a company section and "everything else". Anything less smacks of a controlled environment for the fans.