Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: AOS4 & Linux what filesystem to install??  (Read 1094 times)

Description:

AOS4 & Linux what filesystem to install??
« on: November 22, 2002, 09:06:08 AM »
Hi,
just some thoughts the get the system (when it finally arrives) installed correctly.
As the A1 is running linux the first months, what should be the best filesystem to install, and be able to read/write  the data from OS4. I know the 2.x Linux kernels are able to mount ffs drives, but is AOS4 also able to read/write linux filesystems like xfs or ext2/3?? So what filesystem should I install to make a smooth transition to AOS4 possible , and don't have to backup all files, reformat and copy em again onto the new filesystem??

Offline Argo

• Show only replies by Argo
Re: AOS4 & Linux what filesystem to install??
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2002, 09:53:18 AM »
From the OS 4 transcript from the WOASE show:

"OK, the fast file system 2 for PPC.. nothing new there, that's a well known fact already.
We've reimplemented the fast file system for backwards compatibility reasons mostly.
It's completely outdated in terms of design and performance, but you'll want to be able
to read your existing amiga partitions and migrate over to a different file system. SFS
will be included in a PPC native form for people who have been enjoying that up to now.
For the future we're looking into a new, more robust filesystem based to some extent from
[a file system] the linux or BSD world. The PPC native CD file system, nothing
spectacular there, you say? Well it's got packet writing on the one hand, and for more
advanced CD rewriters, it's also got Mount Rainier support. Now I understand that these
terms might not mean a whole lot to you - let me explain: Packet writing is the ability
to use your CD rewriter as a hard disk, basically a floppy. So instead of having to burn
a CD in one go, you can just drag files to it and copy it like you were doing it on the
normal hard disk. Packet writing is the inferior standard, it's not really a standard, but
inferior implementation. That's why Philips came up with a new standard, brand new
standard called Mount Rainier, and it basically allows you to optimally use a CD rewriter
as a storage medium, and use it as you were using any hard disk. This ofcouse gives you
alot of oppurtonities - share files, make backups on the fly without having to resort to
a specialized tool all the time.

Ok, the recovery and salvage tools. What are those? They're basically a suite of tools
designed to recover partitions, recover lost files, both for FFS2 and SFS. So when you
lose something, you know, inevitably, something IS going to go wrong at one point or
another - use this thing and you got a good chance of actually getting back your
information. Btw, you should -always- backup your hard disk, but -no one- ever does that
anyway, so.. that's why it's there.. :)"

Offline xeron

• Show only replies by xeron
    • http://www.petergordon.org.uk
Re: AOS4 & Linux what filesystem to install??
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2002, 10:14:09 AM »
I would put your linux boot, swap, and linux-specific binary data on linux-orientated filesystems, and create a big FFS partition for all your data (or SFS if linux supports that... :) ). But thats just me...
Playstation Network ID: xeron6