Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Reading CDRW with directcd  (Read 1117 times)

Description:

Reading CDRW with directcd
« on: May 19, 2003, 10:16:00 PM »
Hi,
is there a way for reading CDRW disks formatted with directcd in a standard CDROM drive in an Amiga?

Enrique

Offline Paul_Gadd

• Show only replies by Paul_Gadd
    • http://elunatic.host.sk/start.html
Re: Reading CDRW with directcd
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2003, 10:23:36 PM »
No, i recommend ditching that no good directCD and that destroyware "Easy cd creator" aswell.

Offline alx

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2003, 10:28:52 PM »
noooooo, not "easy" CD Creator :-o

I had a version bundled with my CD-RW drive - success rate was about 20% :madashell:

Then I switched to Nero :-D

Offline Paul_Gadd

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2003, 10:34:36 PM »
I use Nero for nearly everything and that program has a crappy  looking GUI but the amount it does is worth it.

Easy Cd creator came with the burner and is a good program but the bad part is when it destroys/corrupts aspi drivers when removing or updating then just causes a lot of other burning programs to not work properly, clearly not worth the hassle and messing about.

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2003, 10:39:02 PM »
Yes, now I know. It came with my CDRW, which I use in the pc to save some backups of my Amiga, but since I changed the pc HD windows hangs every time I insert a formatted CDRW. Returning to the old HD and installation didn't help.

Now I'm reading those CDRWs at work using a CDROM but I'm tired of copying to floppies and them to my Amiga, so I was wondering if it could be done with my Amiga's CDROM

Enrique

Offline Paul_Gadd

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2003, 10:41:35 PM »
Just make a data disk with a CDRW then use it on the Amiga, copy files over etc then erase it with the burning software, easy to do with less hassle than using Mickey Mouse software.

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2003, 10:44:55 PM »
there are two things you need to consider

1) does your cd-rom on the amiga support CDRW's .older drivers will not read them due to CDRW's being less reflective.

2) it depends on what cd filesystem you are using on the amiga. I have a powerflyer and I have never had any trouble reading any disks made by easy cd 5 platinum.

also I don't no what version of easy cd all these people are refering, but easy cd 5 platinum is a good program.
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"

Offline Paul_Gadd

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2003, 10:54:31 PM »
@JJ

also I don't no what version of easy cd all these people are refering, but easy cd 5 platinum is a good program.

I said it was a good burning program but destroys/corrupts aspi drivers, that is a well known fact and even Roxio said it would be fixed in the future versions (has it been?).

Offline KennyR

• Show only replies by KennyR
    • http://wrongpla.net
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2003, 12:45:46 AM »
Not this one again...

You can't use a CDRW created using a packet-writing filesystem on a PC. You need the burn the CDRW in one go, like it was a CDR. Only then will it work.

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2003, 01:01:19 AM »
@Kennyr

Yes this one again, and guess what, again somone has got it wrong.  IT ALL DEPENDS ON WHAT FILESYSTEM U ARE USING ON THE AMIGA
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"

Offline KennyR

• Show only replies by KennyR
    • http://wrongpla.net
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2003, 01:30:04 AM »
Yes this one again, and guess what, again somone has got it wrong. IT ALL DEPENDS ON WHAT FILESYSTEM U ARE USING ON THE AMIGA

A natural mistake, if it is one. If the CDs are burned with UDFS, no filesystem on the Amiga will read them. As for other CDs burned properly, I've never had a problem using CacheCDFS, AmiCDFS, AllegoCDFS or the cdfs built into PowerUp or MOS. How can I know that yet another person hasn't tried to use Adaptec stuff? It's by far the commonest mistake.

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2003, 02:37:20 AM »
 @ JJ
The CDROM works fine with every CD I´ve tried so far, even when used before in the pc.

I´m using Eyetech´s EZCD-SE A1200 buffered interface, with IDEFix 97.

When the CD-RW is inserted it is mounted as UDFReader:   and in it I can see autorun.inf and udfrinst.exe

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2003, 02:40:34 AM »
@ KennyR

Well, if that is the case, I´ll take off the internal LS-120 from my home pc and use it for a while at work. I have another in my Amiga.

I can use the LS-120 disks for that and save the CD-RW disks until OS4 is ready. Thanks for the info.

Enrique

Offline Desmon

• Show only replies by Desmon
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2003, 10:11:49 AM »
@Paul_Gadd

I use Nero for nearly everything and that program has a crappy  looking GUI but the amount it does is worth it.

Easy Cd creator came with the burner and is a good program but the bad part is when it destroys/corrupts aspi drivers when removing or updating then just causes a lot of other burning programs to not work properly, clearly not worth the hassle and messing about.

I'll concur. I got a copy of slEasyCD with my burner and it was installed just long enough for me to realise what a POS it was. I soon found Nero to replace it with, but recently I've replaced that with DiskJuggler.

DJ's interface is a little harder to get your head around, and will make non-compliant CDs at the drop of a hat, but it doesn't rely on Win's ASPI drivers so the possibilities are endless.
Making hybrid ISO9660/Audio/HPFS disks is even possible with DJ.

On top of that, it's the only program out there that'll drive the multi disk jukebox/robot I use at work.   ;-)
Cache Ya,
Craig.

Busy playing with my Trainz and loving it!

Offline Desmon

• Show only replies by Desmon
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2003, 10:16:45 AM »
@emeck040270

The CDROM works fine with every CD I´ve tried so far, even when used before in the pc.

I´m using Eyetech´s EZCD-SE A1200 buffered interface, with IDEFix 97.

When the CD-RW is inserted it is mounted as UDFReader:   and in it I can see autorun.inf and udfrinst.exe

This is a fault of the software you're using to write the CDRW. (EasyCd) Those two files are the only thing you'll ever see, as they're put there by EasyCD to allow another Windows machine to load the udfrinst.exe program. "UDF Reader Installer.exe"

Read the advice above. Write the CDRW just as you would a CDR and your Amiga should see the whole disk.
Cache Ya,
Craig.

Busy playing with my Trainz and loving it!